Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I photoshopped the Pluto/ Charon picture. This system is nothing like the gas giants of Uranus and Neptune but has a quality all its own. I would say that the Xena/Gabrielle systems have the same properties. Anxiously awaiting more photos!

PCharon_zpsq2worben.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The images from the Ralph (color camera) and the LORRI (long range) cameras definitely show different perspectives! It looks like LORRI currently sees Pluto in 100 pixels of light. I would say the Ralph spectrograph sees half that resolution. In time our resolution will improve!
Payload-Ralph.jpg

Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI)
Payload-LORRI.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
New Horizons is now less than 0.4 from Pluto.

nhpf20150501_0611.svg

In the image below shows some tails with Charon and Pluto. The brightness of the planet exceeds LORRI's saturation level. In other words the image is too bright for the camera. I just wonder how much 'Photoshopping' goes into an image before NASA releases the image to the public.
lor_0293874887_0x633_sci_3.jpg

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,291.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I would say that the Xena/Gabrielle systems have the same properties. Anxiously awaiting more photos!
After passing the Pluto system is it going to pass close to any other of the dwarf planets out there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
NASA’s Hubble Finds Pluto’s Moons Tumbling in Absolute Chaos

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-hubble-finds-pluto-s-moons-tumbling-in-absolute-chaos
If you lived on one of Pluto’s moons, you might have a hard time determining when, or from which direction, the sun will rise each day. Comprehensive analysis of data from NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope shows that two of Pluto’s moons, Nix and Hydra, wobble unpredictably.

“Hubble has provided a new view of Pluto and its moons revealing a cosmic dance with a chaotic rhythm,” said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “When the New Horizons spacecraft flies through the Pluto system in July we’ll get a chance to see what these moons look like up close and personal.”

This set of computer modeling illustrations of Pluto’s moon Nix shows how the orientation of the moon changes unpredictably as it orbits the “double planet” Pluto-Charon...

15-111c.png

ubble data also reveal the moon Kerberos is as dark as a charcoal briquette, while the other frozen moons are as bright as sand. ..
This illustration shows the scale and comparative brightness of Pluto’s small satellites. The surface craters are for illustration only and do not represent real imaging data.
Credits: NASA/ESA/A. Feild (STScI)
15-111.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
My first thought when I saw the most recent LORRI shots was, is there some sort of huge crater in the southern hemisphere? But apparently it's a deconvolution error, and we can be assured that Pluto is more or less spherical.

I've been reading a lot about New Horizons recently, and have learned that, while it's good that we're all excited about the flyby next month, it will be much longer before we see many of the results. It's going to take about one year for NASA to download all the data from NH!

This brilliant blog from the Planetary Society explains why downloading data from 6,000,000,000km is so difficult:
Talking to Pluto is hard! Why it takes so long to get data back from New Horizons

Also from the planetary society:

20150608_new_horizons_eng_1_f840.png

Upvote 0