Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
As Laurele pointed out in her threads, refusing to call Pluto a planet for fear of having to name all these other things planets doesn't wash.

After all, there are now over 100 elements in the Periodic Table, and you don't see anyone complaining about that.

Which is fine with me if they don't want to call them planets or not, but Pluto is orbiting the sun and has a moon of it's own, besides the long tradition of calling it a planet. But I also understand some dividing line has to be drawn, else every asteroid big enough would have to be thoroughly checked out just to decide if it's an asteroid or a planet.

True, but the PT doesn't list all the different types (sizes for planets) of steel for example.

So I can see it both ways, but still think Pluto will always be thought of as a planet.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Which is fine with me if they don't want to call them planets or not,
I would say most do want to call it a planet though.

Only a handful of scientists rigged a vote behind closed doors.

Many planetary scientists objected to the declassification.

My guess is that this is not consensus of opinion.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would say most do want to call it a planet though.

Only a handful of scientists rigged a vote behind closed doors.

Many planetary scientists objected to the declassification.

My guess is that this is not consensus of opinion.

If you are correct, then planatary scientists will continue calling Pluto a planet. You continue to misunderstand the IAU's authority. It has none.

Upvote 0

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As Laurele pointed out in her threads, refusing to call Pluto a planet for fear of having to name all these other things planets doesn't wash.

After all, there are now over 100 elements in the Periodic Table, and you don't see anyone complaining about that.

Non-sequitur. The elements in the periodic table are all referred to as elements because they all fit the same description.

The bodies in the solar system vary widely so it's difficult to find neat categories to fit them in to. However, Pluto is very similar in size to a lot of other bodies in the solar system so if you wanted the description of planet to include Pluto you couldn't ignore the others.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
NH_crossingNeptuneOrbit.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
NASA’s Hubble Telescope Finds Potential Kuiper Belt Targets for New Horizons Pluto Mission

NH_Thumb_10-15-14.jpg

Small objects and a great distance away. Story highlights...

Peering out to the dim, outer reaches of our solar system, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has uncovered three Kuiper Belt objects (KBOs) the agency’s New Horizons spacecraft could potentially visit after it flies by Pluto in July 2015.

The New Horizons team started to look for suitable KBOs in 2011 using some of the largest ground-based telescopes on Earth. They found several dozen KBOs, but none was reachable within the fuel supply available aboard the New Horizons spacecraft.

“We started to get worried that we could not find anything suitable, even with Hubble, but in the end the space telescope came to the rescue,” said New Horizons science team member John Spencer of SwRI. “There was a huge sigh of relief when we found suitable KBOs; we are ‘over the moon’ about this detection.”

This was a needle-in-haystack search for the New Horizons team because the elusive KBOs are extremely small, faint, and difficult to pick out against a myriad background of stars in the constellation Sagittarius, which is in the present direction of Pluto. The three KBOs identified each are a whopping 1 billion miles beyond Pluto. Two of the KBOs are estimated to be as large as 34 miles (55 kilometers) across, and the third is perhaps as small as 15 miles (25 kilometers).

http://www.jhuapl.edu/newscenter/pressreleases/2014/141015_2.asp

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
New Horizons is approaching 2 AU's from Pluto. Almost show time!
nhov20141001_0545.jpg

In the meantime, searching for Kuiper belt objects that Hubble first spotted earlier in the year. These objects won't be reached until 2018 or 2019.

10-23-2014-NH-to-KBO-Track-for-PIP.jpg

10-23-2014-KBO-Flyby-Alex.jpg

Meantime the Hubble team is atop Mauna Kay in Hawaii tracking these Kuiper Belt Objects. It's a hard job, but someones got to do it!

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/gallery/videos/podcast/LIFESTYLE-GHS-640x360.MP4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Within two of Pluto...
NHsign2AU11-5-14.jpg

Months before New Horizons gets to that closest approach, we'll start getting the best images of Pluto we've ever seen. So far, the best Pluto pictures are from the Hubble Telescope. By May of next year, New Horizons will be sending home better images. - Mark Your Calendars: In A Year, We'll Arrive At Pluto : NPR

Stern says, "We actually call that our BTH date — Better Than Hubble."

We are still about 6 months away from seeing Pluto better than Hubble. At over 30 AU's further away, Hubble has some bragging rights!

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,597.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
:clap:

It may be a dwarf planet, but I certainly like Pluto more then Neptune or Uranus.

I love that in the outer Solar System within 2 AU is practically the home stretch... but there have probably been many times when Mars, Earth, Venus and Mercury have all been within less then that of each other.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's amazing that there's an object in the solar system that we have known about since 1930 yet we don't really know what it looks like yet.

Can't wait.

We also have some other dwarf planets that haven't had any good photographs taken of them, including Ceres, which was discovered in 1801 and is also going to get a fly-by this year. I'm more interested in Pluto and Charon, of course, but Ceres is a fascinating little sphere.

Upvote 0