• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Eye's on the New Horizons and the Kuiper Belt

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by rockytopva, Sep 29, 2013.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I have been eying the New Horizon mission (New Horizons Web Site) ever since it launched in 2006. Too bad it could not set its path to 'Xena' after it explores Pluto!

[​IMG]

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    New Horizons is not that far away from Pluto.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. florida2

florida2 Well-Known Member

+421
    Atheist
    Private
    Interesting stuff, but I wouldn't call 5.2 AU 'not that far away'! Though I suppose you could argue it is in terms of the solar system as a whole.

4. florida2

florida2 Well-Known Member

+421
    Atheist
    Private
    That pic is a bit out of date. 'Xena' is known as Eris and was officially named that in 2006. Interesingly, it's about 25% more massive than Pluto so if people want Pluto to still be a planet then they'd have to make Eric one, too!

The two objects with the partly numeric names are now known as Makemake (the brownish one) and Haumea (one with two moons).

You'd probably also want to add Orcas and Veruna, bigger and smaller than Quaoar respectively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,807
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Charon would also be a planet. And AV would be complaining that suddenly we have all of these new planets.

6. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,562
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    As Laurele pointed out in her threads, refusing to call Pluto a planet for fear of having to name all these other things planets doesn't wash.

After all, there are now over 100 elements in the Periodic Table, and you don't see anyone complaining about that.

7. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    New Horizons communicates with NASA at the speed of light... At this rate their spacecraft is only three hours away!

New Horizons Web Site

8. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,265
    Christian
    It's really hard for me to wrap my head around light taking a total of over 6 hours (6 hours, 14 minutes and 29 seconds) to make the round trip from this distance. Wow. Light is really slow. ;)

9. Strathos

+3,807
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    But we knew about Charon and Ceres, etc. before this, you'd be complaining that what were once called asteroids and moons were now planets.

10. AV1611VET

+40,562
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Here's a picture of the Aricebo message, sent into space by S.E.T.I. in 1974:

[​IMG]

Notice the part in yellow?

It's a depiction of our sun and our nine planets, with the earth elevated.

It's no wonder them boys at M13 haven't responded.

They are either ROFL at our scientists saying we have nine planets, or they are out roaming the galaxy looking for a star with nine planets circling it.

It takes a scientist to broadcast our ignorance into intergalactic space! :thumbsup:

11. Strathos

+3,807
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Assuming there is some universally applicable definition of "planet" that would be known by aliens.

12. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,265
    Christian
    It seems to me that any advanced civilization is likely to be able to figure out which solar system it came from simply based on it's trajectory and speed. I seriously doubt they'll have a hard time figuring out where it came from. :)

13. AV1611VET

+40,562
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    As post #2 shows however, it make a left turn at Saturn.

14. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Gravity assist. They used Jupiter as a slingshot to propel it to a faster speed towards pluto. If you could measure the speed of a planets orbit around the sun (if I remember right), that is the rate of gain of speed you get by slingshotting past it.

I have been covering this story off and on since the day the launched the probe. I think it is exciting!

[​IMG]

15. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
  16. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    4.6 AU's from Pluto. Even at this distance the Hubble telescope can still see the Pluto system better than the New Horizons space probe which is 24 AU's closer!

[​IMG]

17. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,596
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Yeah, notice the parts in white between the blue double helix and on the left hand of the red figure?

In 1974 Pluto was still considered a planet. In the early 1800s, Ceres was considered a planet. As more information came in, the nomenclature was changed to reflect that new information.
    When did the asteroids become minor planets?
    To ignore all the information availible would be like claiming that "scientists" were responsible for the Challenger Disaster without ever having read the Rogers Commission Report.

And if you'd actually read all the informatio on the Wikipedia page (since that's from where that image comes), you'd see other things that were correct in 1974, but are no longer.
    - The white line between the double helix representes the 4.3 billion bases thought to comprise the human genome (it's actually 3.2 billion).
    - The red line on the left hand side of the figure represents the 4.3 billion humans alive at the time (it's 7 billion now).

Or, here in the real world, the message - assuming it has any transmission power left after nearly 40 years - is only .003% of the way.

As the Wikipedia entry shows, it was only a test and never expected to be received. Contrast that with Creationists broadcasting their ignorance on the Internet every hour of every day for real human beings to read and expecting to be taken seriously. :wave:

18. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I am curious as to where the New Horizons space probe goes after Pluto. The following conference will be an interesting one to keep tabs on. It is interesting that the Hubble Space telescope will be in position to get some shots of Pluto and beyond.

[​IMG]

19. Standing_Ultraviolet

Standing_Ultraviolet Dunkleosteus

+108
    Humanist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I kind of doubt that there's going to be anything of significant interest within a distance that would make for photos that would have a widespread appeal. The majority of the research after it gets past Pluto is probably going to be more for the scientific community than for anyone else, unless it makes a particularly important discovery or you really like looking at slowly moving pinpoints of light.

That's probably the one unfortunate aspect of space travel. Everything out there is so huge that, if you want to get close to anything at any substantial distance, you have to aim for it several years out and hope that nothing goes wrong. You can do interesting research without getting close, but Pluto is probably going to be the only Kuiper Belt object that we have a detailed photograph of for a while.

20. rockytopva

+6,632
    Pentecostal
    Single
    4 AU's... A short hop on this journey!
    [​IMG]