Is It a Sin to Pluck Your Eyebrows? What Does the Bible Say?

SgtBen

To Serve and Protect
Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Western NC, USA
✟53,005.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does the Bible say about eyebrows, and can Christians get them done?

I am sure you can get them plucked or shaved, as my wife says so, she does trim hers with a razor and uses a nice light brown pencil thing and it looks nice.

I think it is fine for Christians as long as the eyebrows do not overpower the eyes and use nice coloring. Remember Proverbs 31, here:

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Beauty is one thing, inner beauty is yet another.

Remember to understand true beauty is a lady or man of God.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As long as it's not done out of pride, I would say it's okay, but you have to ask God to search your heart and judge it by why you want to do your eyebrows. I pluck my eyebrows a little bit, and usually also put on a little bit of makeup, just to look healthy. But I firmly believe that God wants His daughters to be modest and not care too much about what they look like. It is much more important to focus on Christ and becoming like Him than worrying about what we look like. What is more important? What you look like physically to others and to yourself or what God thinks of you?

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price." 1 Peter 3:3-4

"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." 1 Peter 2:9-10

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What does the Bible say about eyebrows, and can Christians get them done?
Here there is no unkempt or groomed, trimmed or untrimmed, unibrow, plucked, shaved or unshorn...

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a verse in Leviticus (which I seem unable to find at the moment) that says anyone with wild eyebrows cannot serve as a priest.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THe reason I could not find it is our english versions do not word it the same as those who understand Hebrew. Here is the commentary from the Chabad website (chassidic black hat Jews) drawing from the ancient commentaries:
What is this about? Well, the Parshah (Leviticus 21:16–22) quotes G‑d’s specific instruction to Moses that a descendant of Aaron who is blemished, blind, lame, having a nose with no bridge, having one limb longer than the other, with a broken leg or arm, with abnormally long eyebrows, with a membrane on his eye, a blemished eye, a dry skin eruption, moist skin eruption or crushed testicles “shall not come near to offer the food of his G‑d.” Nor may he eat from the offering as might a non-disqualified kohen. For, if he were to do so, he would “desecrate My sacred offerings . . .”

It is in there in the Hebrew text.

For the full article:
EMOR: The Disqualified Kohen

• Informative
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
THe reason I could not find it is our english versions do not word it the same as those who understand Hebrew. Here is the commentary from the Chabad website (chassidic black hat Jews) drawing from the ancient commentaries:
Interesting! In Greek, long-eyebrowed is translated as ὑπέροφρυς and it is mostly used metaphorically, meaning someone who is supercilious (arrogant). Having said that, the Septuagint has πτίλον. Πτίλωσις is a disease of the eyelids, not the eyebrows.

• Informative
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a verse in Leviticus (which I seem unable to find at the moment) that says anyone with wild eyebrows cannot serve as a priest.
That explains why Andy Rooney never joined the monastery.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

It is in there in the Hebrew text.

For the full article:
EMOR: The Disqualified Kohen
I'm still not sure. I don't see extra eyebrows as a defect, like the others mentioned. Seems a bit strange that all the bible translators would get it wrong, and mistranslate 'wild eyebrows' as a 'vision defect'. Still funny, though. :p

Leviticus 21:18-20 For no one who has a blemish shall draw near, a man blind or lame, or one who has a mutilated face or a limb too long, or a man who has an injured foot or an injured hand, or a hunchback or a dwarf or a man with a defect in his sight or an itching disease or scabs or crushed testicles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums