• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Extreme gun control positions

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Strathos, Nov 12, 2018.

1. No Swansong

No Swansong Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!

+619
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    All rights are subject to reasonable regulation. For example the often touted laws against calling for violence against another is a reasonable regulation of the freedom of speech or the press depending upon how such a call was made. Forbidding human sacrifice is a reasonable regulation of the freedom of religious expression and currently it is illegal for guns to be sold to persons who are subject to visual and audible hallucinations. Usually such regulations exist to protect the rights of others and they are rare as they should be, but still it stands that constitutional rights can be regulated or restricted.

2. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+7,039
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Oh brother.

Everyone here is ok with sacrificing certain liberties for security.

3. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+8,470
    Agnostic
    Married
    It states it right in the amendment.

4. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And what is the purpose of the people’s ability to form a militia?

5. Belk

+8,470
    Agnostic
    Married
    No, I'm pointing out your assertion is incorrect. Perhaps you should incorporate that into your views?

6. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And there you nailed it. The restriction should be around the problem persons. Not the guns. The gun is a tool, neither good nor bad. Gun violence is a human problem

7. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And I’m pointing out the only example that exists proves my assertion correct.

8. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+1,229
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You must be referring to the quote by Isoruku Yamamoto about "there will be a gun behind every blade of grass". Some are wont to say he never said that because it's supposedly not in any books about him, but you have to wonder just exactly he said that aren't in those books. Considering he died in 43 before a lot of historians/book writers had a chance to interview him I wouldn't be afraid to say there is a lot of what he said/thought missing from history.

He was also against most of what the Japanese military did starting with the invasion of China in 31, the AXIS Pact and starting a war with the US. He also lived in the US and knew about our customs and beliefs, so him saying that is not a stretch in my book.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  9. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,618
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    If they can't buy a gun and ammunition as easily as we can, and freely transport it to an open rifle range whenever they want like we can, no, they're not as free as we are.

10. Belk

+8,470
    Agnostic
    Married
    How many times am I going to have to quote the same amendment?

11. No Swansong

+619
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    You mean like when prohibition was repealed?

12. Belk

+8,470
    Agnostic
    Married
    Really? I would beg to differ. That amendments can reinstate rights that wetre lost does not negate the fact that they can indeed restrict rights.

13. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That’s the quote I had in mind. I posted a screenshot, but it hasn’t showed up yet. I found a similar quote from an unnamed Japanese admiral that’s similar. Robert Menard recorded it.

14. No Swansong

+619
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    Why should voting not be a constitutionally protected right?

15. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes

16. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It was originally restricted to those who had vested interest. Namely possessed actual property.

17. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,618
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    You would ban 7-shot revolvers then?

18. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don’t understand how you think this does anything but prove my point.

19. OK Jeff

OK Jeff Active Member

+320
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Or nine?

20. No Swansong

+619
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    Sure you can. Your philosophy is problematic. I don't agree with sacrificing liberty in most cases but it can be done, and in some cases doing so can increase one's security.