Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, sorry, I'm not from USA. I though SCOTUS meant the president.

Understandable. I think they usually use POTUS for president and SCOTUS for supreme court. They are easy to conflate.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well to say the least it surprises some US citizens as well when they learn that the police do not have a duty to protect. In some recent protests that turned violent the police took a hands off approach as well, despite some being violently beaten etc. Sometimes they do it because they fear getting involved will increase the violent response. But whatever the reason you cannot necessarily depend on them.
Of course police can't entirely be depended on for your entire protection. A gun can't be depended on to protect you either.

Your first line of defense is using your own brain and judgement in order to avoid putting yourself into danger, and when in danger, to avoid escalating the issue.

Be careful of dark and secluded paths, be careful of people who have been drinking, don't challenge people to fights, if someone is pointing a gun at you or has a knife close and threatening to you then don't be brave, no sudden movements. Leave any angry abusive partners. Don't have guns stored in the home.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
On the flip, though, it is YOUR concern to keep yourself safe. A great way to do this is to keep out of trouble. Be careful where you go

School? Movie theater? Concert? Driving home from work.....

Do you think you need an arsenal at home in case this very unlikely scenario comes up?

No.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
School? Movie theater? Concert? Driving home from work.....
In most 1st world western democratic countries your main concern isn't schools, movies theatres, or in cars. I assume even in USA those aren't your biggest concern.

Your biggest concern would be in secluded places, when you are alone. Obviously the best line of defence is to avoid these situations, if you can't avoid then be on guard e.g. bring a friend, bring a tourch, keep an eye out for strangers, keep an eye out for hiding places, have a whistle.
For women, in particular, the biggest danger is familiars rather than strangers.

Even if you have a gun in your holster, odds are the attacker already has their weapon out and ready, so its too late for you to reach for yours, and if you do, you need to be careful the attacker doesn't take it from you and use it against you.

For those crowded places e.g. schools and movie theatres etc, do you really want to be firing your gun in a crowded place? Even in defence, you might accidentally shoot a bystander.

If you are scared in your car, make sure you keep your door locked, and be careful when ever you have slowed down or stopped.

Me, I don't tend to worry about these things so much. I live in a country where it is hard for people to possess handguns, I feel safe running alone, safe in my car, safe at school, save in movie theatres. I'm not particularly scared of being out in public. But I still exhibit caution, especially in secluded areas.

Upvote 0