God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I often hear conservatives say that if liberals in America had their way, any kind of private gun ownership would be completely illegal, and all privately-owned firearms would be confiscated by the government.

I certainly don't support that. In my opinion that would be ridiculous. I just support stricter background checks, less NRA influence on politicians, and more required training and safety classes - just like you need to pass a test and get a license to drive a car, the same should go for using a gun. So I was just wondering, how many self-identified liberals here believe that a a complete ban of firearms would be beneficial, practical, and Constitutional?

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Although not an American, I would favour an almost complete ban on guns. Exceptions would be for certified collectors, hunters, etc.

I suggest the downside of guns in a modern society greatly outweigh the benefits.

You guys seem to elevate the Constitution to scriptural status. Didn’t it once give you the right to own slaves?

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nor should it be. But that’s another topic.
I speculate that GB was correctly pointing out just because something is in the Constitution doesn’t make it an eternal, immutable truth.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nor should it be. But that’s another topic.
Fair enough.

My point is the constitution is not set in stone nor is it a sacred nor perfect document. Eventually, it needs to be updated and amended to match the society it governs.

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although not an American, I would favour an almost complete ban on guns. Exceptions would be for certified collectors, hunters, etc.

I suggest the downside of guns in a modern society greatly outweigh the benefits.

You guys seem to elevate the Constitution to scriptural status. Didn’t it once give you the right to own slaves?
The second amendment guarantees our right and ability to protect ourselves. That’s from intruders, criminals, and our own government. If you begin to allow rights be eroded, it will not stop. I frankly don’t care what other countries think of our rights. Fact is foreign leaders throughout history have commented they would not invade our soil because we’re armed.
And no, the constitution never guaranteed slavery.

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough.

My point is the constitution is not set in stone nor is it a sacred nor perfect document. Eventually, it needs to be updated and amended to match the society it governs.
To expand rights, perhaps yes. But never to remove them.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I frankly don’t care what other countries think of our rights.
When your desire to play with guns means more of them will get transported illegally to Canada, it becomes very much my business.

Even I can’t vote in your country.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To expand rights, perhaps yes. But never to remove them.
This obviously does not make sense as a general principle. You simply presume that having a certain right is necessarily going to be a good thing even as things change.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I often hear conservatives say that if liberals in America had their way, any kind of private gun ownership would be completely illegal, and all privately-owned firearms would be confiscated by the government.

I certainly don't support that. In my opinion that would be ridiculous. I just support stricter background checks, less NRA influence on politicians, and more required training and safety classes - just like you need to pass a test and get a license to drive a car, the same should go for using a gun. So I was just wondering, how many self-identified liberals here believe that a a complete ban of firearms would be beneficial, practical, and Constitutional?

All that's needed is a teeny weeny little spelling change and everything will be fixed.

Change:
The right to bear arms
to
The right to bare arms

Simple :)
OB

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When your desire to play with guns means more of them will get transported illegally to Canada, it becomes very much my business.

No it’s still not. You can ridicule all you want. But gun crimes in you country is not our problem, nor our fault. Drugs were previously, and most still are illegal in Mexico. Yet they still flood in our southern boarder. Give up your rights if you wish. But I won’t....willingly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This obviously does not make sense as a general principle. You simply presume that having a certain right is necessarily going to be a good thing even as things change.
Aside from the second amendment, name one please.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

No more your business than the legality of alcohol in your country during Prohibition and the legality of marijuana prior to 2012 was our business.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I wouldn't be afraid to say a lot of Democrat voters wouldn't support gun confiscation. OTOH I wouldn't be afraid to say a lot of their politicians would like to do just exactly that as the end game. Because the legislation they write never stops at just better background checks, there is almost always some kind of verbiage about banning certain guns or ammo. Or some loosely worded verbiage about confiscating weapons from mental patients (who determines who is mental and who isn't)?

The was I see it is if the voters don't agree with what the politicians they vote for propose legislatively then they should have enough integrity to vote for someone else or just stay home.

Upvote 0