Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't watched the shows yet, but even the commercials have me scratching my head. My husband agrees with me, having walked into the room just in time to see the commercial showing a teenage boy buying feminine hygiene products he obviously doesn't need. In fact, the boy was saying he wasn't even clear on what they were for. But it seems the object of the couponing game is to get as much stuff as possible, for as little money as possible, even if you don't need it or have room to store it. Like the lady who was buying hundreds of rolls of paper towels was saying, "They're free, and that's what matters."

A fine line between extreme couponing and hoarding, I would imagine. Unless, as dreamer says, they donate it.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read a whole article on those extreme couponing shows and how they not only fuel a mindset of wasteful consumerism, but also an unrealistic vision of how to shop frugally. For example, most of those shows don't tell you that the participating stores know ahead of time they're going to be filming and the store managers will typically decide to make special arrangements and concessions for the sake of the camera op. In other words, the store may drop their policy against taking computer generated coupons, double coupons or stacking coupons for the sake of the drama. Ever notice how the extreme coupon user always exclaims, "this is my most successful haul to date!"? That's because they will never be on TV again and they'll have to go back to following the store policies in regards to redeeming coupons.

Also note that these people are almost always scoring deals on garbage food and non-food items that are practically useless in the mass quantities they're buying. Nobody needs to make their kids sleep on the couch so they can fill their bedroom with a thousand boxes of Tide they ended up having so many coupons for they got a $5 gift card from the store. And does anyone really benefit from 500 cases of Mountain Dew or 400 Snickers candy bars or 120 Michelina frozen entrees?

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I've seen, the work you have to put in it to make the kind of profit you see on that show amounts to a part-time or even full-time job. I don't have time for that! I've seen a couple of episodes where they give their spoils to food banks/homeless shelters and thought that was awesome!

^This

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As a cashier in a Grocery store, I don't mind extreme couponers--as long as they play by the rules. My store has a 3 coupon limit on items. You can combine up to 3 non-store coupons on most items. I think that is petty generous, but I am always getting someone who wants to combine 10 coupons for one item and then all bent out of shape when i tell them no.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have watched those TV shows and she does "couponing", not the extreme couponing! Although the 10 boxes of Rice Krispies in our food closet might seem otherwise. ;)

We have had limited income and 4 hungry growing boys to support, so it's been a blessing. I think the storing of 100 toothbrushes is extreme and on the verge of hoarding. (What - they are never going on sale again so you have to stock up on a lifetime supply??? Besides, the dentist usually gives you one... )

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That put me in the mood to watch a zombie movie, my favourite kind.

Cool, we have something in common, its also something I'm a huge fan of, comes "Z Wars" in a couple months and it will be excellent, big budget, Brad Pitt, etc.

Sorry to -derail the thread with bring out your dead- (pure poetry)

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That put me in the mood to watch a zombie movie, my favourite kind.
Have you seen The Walking Dead? Not a movie but an awesome TV series. I highly recommend it.

And to make this on topic. Extreme couponing and hoarding are like brothers. Although one brother is culturally accepted and the other is frowned upon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
My wife just this week started to get the couponing thing going. The store near our house will put items on sale. They you can go online and "tag" that item on your little "plus" card (or whatever it's called...varied from store to store) that you scan at the register and get an additional markdown.

So far I've gotten:
-Almond milk
-Frosted Mini Wheats (score!)
-toilette paper

Like you guys are saying, if you buy stuff you can use/eat in sensible quantities you're good to go.
:)

Upvote 0

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think it's a form of hoarding and some weird competitiveness thing going. I know i'd resent it like anything to go to a store to find they were all out because someone ahead of me in line wanted 100 tubes of toothpaste.

On the other hand, IF, and ONLY IF, that person was sending things overseas to soldiers, or to the local homeless shelters, or to the local food banks, I'd just smile and wish them well.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My wife just this week started to get the couponing thing going. The store near our house will put items on sale. They you can go online and "tag" that item on your little "plus" card (or whatever it's called...varied from store to store) that you scan at the register and get an additional markdown.

So far I've gotten:
-Almond milk
-Frosted Mini Wheats (score!)
-toilette paper

Like you guys are saying, if you buy stuff you can use/eat in sensible quantities you're good to go.
:)
I really, really, really respect that couponing thing.
Maybe because it is a huge mystery to me.

But getting things for free or at a huge discount ... I know would make me drink even the Almond milk.

Tastes so much better when it is free ... :liturgy:

Upvote 0