Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I grew up attending a Southern Baptist Church then branched out to other denominations in my 20's and 30's. I have not attended a church regularly in several years, the last two years has partially been because of the pandemic. I have been watching some online off and on. I have had a hard time finding a church that feels like "home."

So, I have reached out to a local UMC and got a quick and friendly response via email. I have very limited experience in a Methodist church. I have just requested to be part of a study group that is going through the book "The Absolute Basic Book of the Wesleyan Way."

Is anyone familiar with this book and do you think it is a good starting point?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on books or online reading for learning more about UMC?

Thanks!

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think the best way to learn about it is to GO. Go to a UMC church on Sunday and see what it's like. Then try another one and see how different two UMC churches can be. I think you can read anything by Wesley or the topic of "Holiness."

Upvote 0

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the best way to learn about it is to GO. Go to a UMC church on Sunday and see what it's like. Then try another one and see how different two UMC churches can be. I think you can read anything by Wesley or the topic of "Holiness."

"Holiness" will often lead you to articles about Nazarene's or the Wesleyan Church. It isn't an oft used term in the UMC.

Instead, I would suggest checking out umc.org. When I have a few more spare moments I will post a good book or two on United Methodists.

Blessings as you search!

Upvote 0

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
"United Methodist Questions, United Methodist Answers" - Belton Joyner, JR.
"United Methodist Beliefs" - Bishop William Willimon
"Why I am a United Methodist" Bishop Willimon

There are also specific texts about the sacraments, if you are interested in more information about UMC views of communion and baptism.Both are available in PDF if you just want to do a google search for them.

"This Holy Mystery" - UMC theology of communion
"By Water and the Spirit" - UMC theology of baptism.

If you have further questions, I am an Elder (full-time pastor) in the UMC.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I looked up the book in the OP's question on Google. It was published by Seedbed, which tells me he's more than likely in a more conservative UMC congregation.

The Willimon book suggested by Methodized is perhaps more representative of the UMC mainstream.

Reactions: Methodized
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was involved in UMC.
- In 1970's.
---
I like stories..
- During the early days of Methodist Movement/Revival.
- & the 'Circuit Riders' in US.
---
It seems that you got good advice/suggestions..from some posts.
---
More of His grace & power to you..
- On your spiritual journey.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for the responses.

I haven't been at to attend yet because of work schedule and also because of being cautious due to the pandemic. My son has poor respiratory health so we haven't wanted to risk him getting the virus. He just got the booster shot last week so we are starting to relax.

I received an email response about taking the class with that book, and was told they are in the middle of the study and it will restart in Feb. It was unclear if I can jump in where they are or if I need to wait until February.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0