Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello All,

I just wanted some advice from other parents who have small children around kindergarten age. I have a 5 year old daughter, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain the Gospel to her. She has some understanding of God and who Jesus is but it dawned on me today that I never really explained the full Gospel to her. She came home today from school and said her best friend told her that Jesus is a ghost. So I definitely don't want her to think that. I realize children have a limited spiritual understanding, but I want to do my best to help her along the way. Any advice or suggestions from other parents would be much appreciated. Thanks!

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello All,

I just wanted some advice from other parents who have small children around kindergarten age. I have a 5 year old daughter, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain the Gospel to her. She has some understanding of God and who Jesus is but it dawned on me today that I never really explained the full Gospel to her. She came home today from school and said her best friend told her that Jesus is a ghost. So I definitely don't want her to think that. I realize children have a limited spiritual understanding, but I want to do my best to help her along the way. Any advice or suggestions from other parents would be much appreciated. Thanks!

There are so many good ways that have been produced to help you. Most good Christian Book stored will have a good supply to assist you. You can also go to Christian Book distributers or Lifeway Christian book stores, both on line and look at what they hacve. There is likely a Lifeway near you.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are so many good ways that have been produced to help you. Most good Christian Book stored will have a good supply to assist you. You can also go to Christian Book distributers or Lifeway Christian book stores, both on line and look at what they hacve. There is likely a Lifeway near you.

Thanks. I'll look into this. I've been downloading apps and worship songs for kids (she likes music) in the meantime. She's coming along. She's participating more during worship service and starting to pray a little on her own without me having to tell her to. So I'm excited about that.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks. I'll look into this. I've been downloading apps and worship songs for kids (she likes music) in the meantime. She's coming along. She's participating more during worship service and starting to pray a little on her own without me having to tell her to. So I'm excited about that.

REALLY GREAT! REMEMBER JESUS WAS ESPECIALLY DRAWN TO OUR LITTLE ONES AND SAID WE MUST COME TO HIM WILLING TO TRUST AS YOUR LITTLE ONE IS LEARNING TO DO. GOD BLESS YOU! I did this in caps as it is so wonderful!

Reactions: jazzypooh
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2016
Sydney
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I'd also recommend just reading most nights to them a short bible story from a children's bible. we used the rhyme bible and found it a fun way to read to preschoolers and even kindergarten. by regularly reading to your kids not only does their own general reading interest and ability grow, but topics come up for discussion as they appear in the Bible. The repetition of stories gradually 'grooves' our minds to hear and recall the gospel story. I don't think I've really sat down with my kids and said, right, let's go through the gospel and make sure you understand. but little conversations about bits here and there over time is more natural. Let God's Spirit work through the regular reading of His Word is what I guess I'm saying and answer questions as they arise.

Upvote 0

Grateful-Nikki

Mar 4, 2016
Montréal Québec Canada
✟8,063.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
Hey. Im a new believer and i asked that same question to a friend who lives for God. She told me about this book. It all points to Jesus. Even the ot. Its amazing. You see him everywhere.
book-md-jesus-sbb2.jpg

I ordered it on amazon. They have cd out of et book. Here is an example.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2016
Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I'd also recommend just reading most nights to them a short bible story from a children's bible. we used the rhyme bible and found it a fun way to read to preschoolers and even kindergarten. by regularly reading to your kids not only does their own general reading interest and ability grow, but topics come up for discussion as they appear in the Bible. The repetition of stories gradually 'grooves' our minds to hear and recall the gospel story. I don't think I've really sat down with my kids and said, right, let's go through the gospel and make sure you understand. but little conversations about bits here and there over time is more natural. Let God's Spirit work through the regular reading of His Word is what I guess I'm saying and answer questions as they arise.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2016
Tennessee
Visit site
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Children are more likely to willingly believe and trust in Him when they have learned and memorized scripture from an early age. Parents need to be strong leaders in the home and lead their children to become diligent students of God’s Word and this begins very early. Yes, we cannot “force” our children to believe in God, but we can read the Bible to them from an early age. If we do so, they are much more likely to believe in God. Having His Word present in their hearts and minds will naturally lead to more awareness and openness towards Him.

“And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7 ESV

In Deuteronomy and many other passages, God commands parents to teach children to read, know, and understand the Bible. Parents who encourage their children to read and study God’s Word each day demonstrate their reverence for God and make a lasting impression on their children. Of course, we should provide them with the daily example of our own regular daily Bible reading habit! Once they learned to read themselves, we required our children to read a passage from their Bible each day. We believed that knowing the Word of God was so important, we were unwilling to leave that decision up to the daily whims of how our children might feel.

Upvote 0

Brianlear

Living life in the pacific NW
Mar 31, 2012
✟9,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree about the "children have a limited spiritual understanding" part. I think it's the opposite. Probably should just tell kids who God is and over time, answer their questions as they come up. I don't think there is ONE specific way to do it.

Upvote 0

Mercy Mc Hass

Jul 10, 2016
Nampa, ID
✟7,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have kids yet, but I remember the most powerful thing my dad ever did was to pray out loud. It was simple but powerful. He didn't do it all the time, maybe once a month, but when he prayed, I remember knowing, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that he knew he was talking to someone.

I think for the rest of the salvation message, you'd just have to explain it simply. Kids understand a lot, sometimes more than they let on. I remember questioning the meaning of life at the age of 8.

Another thing that helped me was having encouraging media around the house, like videos for kids that have stories including God, Adventures in Odyssey (by Focus on the Family, volumes 1-30 are the best), and reading age-appropriate God books to them.

I may be biased, but I wrote a book a little while ago that talks about God and how he makes each of us for a purpose (within a cute little story). I put it up for cheap on Amazon. ;)

Hello All,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums