Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are we supposed to keep our eyes to the sky, expecting the Lord to come at any moment? Or are we supposed to be busy preparing ourselves and others for the Kingdom of God? Should we expect some time to lapse, not as an excuse to be idle and to waste time, but rather, to prepare, to praise, and to thank?

I don't think that life is all work and no play. And I don't think "play" is synonymous with living a profligate life. But Mary showed Martha what was needful, and that was not always work, but simply spending time in the Lord's presence. That way, we will know when it's wise to work and when it's wise to rest.

Acts 1.10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky?

We're often told by "imminency" advocates that we need to keep our eyes peeled to the sky, just in case the Lord might come, and we have to be ready. It's as if focusing our attention on the sky somehow keeps us ready for that event!

But you know and I know that being ready for Christ's coming requires that we always be walking with the Lord, staying humble, doing our jobs, witnessing, working, loving, etc. True preparation is moral readiness, and not keeping our eyes trained on the sky!

Have you ever gone whale watching? I have, and it's fun. But you just don't know where or when they're going to leap up out of the water. So you have to keep your eyes trained in a general area where they may appear.

But it isn't this way with the Lord's coming. He merely asks us to always be doing what we're supposed to be doing. It isn't even as though he may just suddenly appear at any moment, either. It's just that he wants us to always be clothed in righteousness, and thus ready for the Kingdom.

The passage above indicates that the Disciples kept their eyes on the sky in vain. That wasn't what Jesus wanted them to do. He wanted them to be about their business of preaching the gospel to the nations. They certainly weren't supposed to expect Jesus to reappear at any moment! They had a job to do. And he wanted them to always be doing that, not just to get others ready for the Kingdom, but so that they would keep themselves ready for the Kingdom too.

We are told to be watchful, ready, and vigilant. Much of this exhortation has to do with remaining aware of possible deceptions and misdirections. Since this age is characterized by satanic opposition and human error, we have to remain vigilant all the time. None of this has a thing with expecting Jesus to come from the sky at any moment.

We are also called upon to set our minds on things above. This is simply so that we maintain our gaze on Jesus' righteousness so that we do not be moved away from it. We are to remain firm and to stand in Christ. Hope this helps?

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are we supposed to keep our eyes to the sky, expecting the Lord to come at any moment? Or are we supposed to be busy preparing ourselves and others for the Kingdom of God? Should we expect some time to lapse, not as an excuse to be idle and to waste time, but rather, to prepare, to praise, and to thank?

I don't think that life is all work and no play. And I don't think "play" is synonymous with living a profligate life. But Mary showed Martha what was needful, and that was not always work, but simply spending time in the Lord's presence. That way, we will know when it's wise to work and when it's wise to rest.

Acts 1.10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky?

We're often told by "imminency" advocates that we need to keep our eyes peeled to the sky, just in case the Lord might come, and we have to be ready. It's as if focusing our attention on the sky somehow keeps us ready for that event!

But you know and I know that being ready for Christ's coming requires that we always be walking with the Lord, staying humble, doing our jobs, witnessing, working, loving, etc. True preparation is moral readiness, and not keeping our eyes trained on the sky!

Have you ever gone whale watching? I have, and it's fun. But you just don't know where or when they're going to leap up out of the water. So you have to keep your eyes trained in a general area where they may appear.

But it isn't this way with the Lord's coming. He merely asks us to always be doing what we're supposed to be doing. It isn't even as though he may just suddenly appear at any moment, either. It's just that he wants us to always be clothed in righteousness, and thus ready for the Kingdom.

The passage above indicates that the Disciples kept their eyes on the sky in vain. That wasn't what Jesus wanted them to do. He wanted them to be about their business of preaching the gospel to the nations. They certainly weren't supposed to expect Jesus to reappear at any moment! They had a job to do. And he wanted them to always be doing that, not just to get others ready for the Kingdom, but so that they would keep themselves ready for the Kingdom too.

We are told to be watchful, ready, and vigilant. Much of this exhortation has to do with remaining aware of possible deceptions and misdirections. Since this age is characterized by satanic opposition and human error, we have to remain vigilant all the time. None of this has a thing with expecting Jesus to come from the sky at any moment.

We are also called upon to set our minds on things above. This is simply so that we maintain our gaze on Jesus' righteousness so that we do not be moved away from it. We are to remain firm and to stand in Christ. Hope this helps?

Are we supposed to keep our eyes to the sky, expecting the Lord to come at any moment? Or are we supposed to be busy preparing ourselves and others for the Kingdom of God?

Both ;o)

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 (NASB cited below)
The Day of the Lord
5 Now as to the periods and times, brothers and sisters, you have no need of anything to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord is coming just like a thief in the night. 3 While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction will come upon them like labor pains upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness, so that the day would overtake you like a thief; 5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness; 6 so then, let’s not sleep as others do, but let’s be alert and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who are drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we are of the day, let’s be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him. 11 Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you also are doing.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟123,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But I quoted a passage where Jesus' disciples were admonished *not* to keep their eyes glued to the sky. And you're saying you're going to do it anyway?
We are not standing on the mount of Olives. I think it is safe to look up.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But I quoted a passage where Jesus' disciples were admonished *not* to keep their eyes glued to the sky. And you're saying you're going to do it anyway?
Luke 21:28
King James Version

28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then LOOK UP, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟101,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are not standing on the mount of Olives. I think it is safe to look up.

The question wasn't whether it was safe to look up, at the Mt. of Olives or anywhere else. Is it safe to look up when Jesus would have us not to do that? No.

I really just think you're trying to be clever. And that's okay. You think you can walk and chew gum at the same time. So can I.

But you're doing an end around on the question. Do you look up *expecting him to come at any moment?* Are you trying to prepare *by looking up to the sky,* ie by an attitude of expectancy?

Well, we certainly do have to be expectant, but not quite so intensely as to think he could come at any moment, and we might not be ready at that moment.

I don't think Jesus' coming is a "gotcha" moment. Sometimes we have to sleep. Sometimes we're in a bad mood. The point is, we don't maintain a constant sense of vigilance as if an asteroid might break through our atmosphere. No, our vigilance consists of living right, and not our thinking that he could come today!

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟101,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 21:28
King James Version

28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then LOOK UP, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Yes, this appears to be contrary to what I quoted in Acts 1, but it really isn't. There is a difference between maintaining a confident hope in our glorification, as a motivator, and looking with expectancy, trying to prepare for an "any-moment" appearance.

This isn't looking up to his sky, expecting that he will break through the clouds at any moment. Rather, it is keeping our eyes on the reward, on the goal. Very different concept.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟101,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 (NASB cited below)
The Day of the Lord
5 Now as to the periods and times, brothers and sisters, you have no need of anything to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord is coming just like a thief in the night. 3 While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction will come upon them like labor pains upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness, so that the day would overtake you like a thief; 5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness; 6 so then, let’s not sleep as others do, but let’s be alert and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who are drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we are of the day, let’s be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him. 11 Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you also are doing.

I'm all for encouragement. But that is not "imminent expectation," or looking to the sky in anticipation that he could break through the clouds at any moment. Jesus' disciples were admonished not to do that, or at least not be resigned by the fact he had gone away, as if there is nothing more that can be done.

The fact is, he went away with the expectation that now is the time for our ministry, for our testimony to what he did for us and for the world.

He comes as a thief not to surprise Christians who are looking for him, but rather, to surprise the ungodly who won't be prepared, because they refuse to live righteous lives. We see in the book of Revelation that Jesus comes as a thief at Armageddon, to destroy the enemies of God. They will not be prepared for his coming because they will actually be fighting against him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If you are talking about Acts 1:11 .... it's in the form of a question ... and the word "not" does not appear there anywhere ... it's not an admonishment ..... it's a simple question.

And they answered their own question.

Acts 1:11

11“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven.”

Revelation 1:7

New International Version
Look, he is coming with the clouds,” and “every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.” So shall it be! Amen.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky?

We're often told by "imminency" advocates that we need to keep our eyes peeled to the sky, j

actually, what the disciples did after the exchange with the angels is telling.

They walked back to Jerusalem, went to the upper rooms and prayed - until they were filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they went about God's work which they were anointed to do...

They are our examples, standing and looking to the sky is silly, as Jesus said: "Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" Luke 2:49

it is the same with us, we are to be about our Father's business, whatever that means for us... Not anointed to something you see as great? don't worry, it's usually in the little things any way.

live a life of devotion, prayer, go about your work, be an example to those near to you, shine the light of Christ and in all you do and have give thanks, and march on...

If your about God's work whether the second coming is tonight or in a thousand years matters not... your ready either way..

if you have trepidation and fear concerning Christ's second coming, and you're not affected by some mental illness, then it might be your missing something in your relationship with God, because for us there is nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟101,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
actually, what the disciples did after the exchange with the angels is telling.

They walked back to Jerusalem, went to the upper rooms and prayed - until they were filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they went about God's work which they were anointed to do...

They are our examples, standing and looking to the sky is silly, as Jesus said: "Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" Luke 2:49

it is the same with us, we are to be about our Father's business, whatever that means for us... Not anointed to something you see as great? don't worry, it's usually in the little things any way.

live a life of devotion, prayer, go about your work, be an example to those near to you, shine the light of Christ and in all you do and have give thanks, and march on...

If your about God's work whether the second coming is tonight or in a thousand years matters not... your ready either way..

if you have trepidation and fear concerning Christ's second coming, and you're not affected by some mental illness, then it might be your missing something in your relationship with God, because for us there is nothing to fear.

I agreed with all this up until the last paragraph, which has me a little stumped. Are you suggesting that *I* have trepidation and fear concerning Christ's 2nd Coming? If so, that certainly isn't the case.

My concern is to inform people to stop the game with prophetic speculation, attempting to work fellow Christians into a frenzy about "times and seasons" which are to be left solely in the hands of God. That's what the Bible says.

Paul was very animated to warn the Thessalonians in his 2nd letter to avoid Christians who were exciting fellow believers with false notions about the Kingdom's imminent coming. This isn't how we are to live, under the cloud of an "any moment coming."

I think you get this, but just ignore it. Or do you understand the point?

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟101,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you are talking about Acts 1:11 .... it's in the form of a question ... and the word "not" does not appear there anywhere ... it's not an admonishment ..... it's a simple question.

And they answered their own question.

Acts 1:11

11“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven.”

Revelation 1:7

New International Version
Look, he is coming with the clouds,” and “every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.” So shall it be! Amen.

That's silly. A rhetorical question was given to induce the proper answer simply because the disciples were looking towards heaven in the wrong way.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agreed with all this up until the last paragraph, which has me a little stumped. Are you suggesting that *I* have trepidation and fear concerning Christ's 2nd Coming? If so, that certainly isn't the case.

My concern is to inform people to stop the game with prophetic speculation, attempting to work fellow Christians into a frenzy about "times and seasons" which are to be left solely in the hands of God. That's what the Bible says.

Paul was very animated to warn the Thessalonians in his 2nd letter to avoid Christians who were exciting fellow believers with false notions about the Kingdom's imminent coming. This isn't how we are to live, under the cloud of an "any moment coming."

I think you get this, but just ignore it. Or do you understand the point?

I didn't know that was your point (missed it.. lol) - but it's definitely one I can get behind 100%! :)

Reactions: RandyPNW
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's silly. A rhetorical question was given to induce the proper answer simply because the disciples were looking towards heaven in the wrong way.

I don't see any admonishment in the verse ... I look forward to his return ... and often I lift up my eyes to heaven in prayer.

It does NOT say they were looking into heaven the wrong way .... I don't believe there is a "wrong way" to look up into the heavens.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟101,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see any admonishment in the verse ... I look forward to his return ... and often I lift up my eyes to heaven in prayer.

It does NOT say they were looking into heaven the wrong way .... I don't believe there is a "wrong way" to look up into the heavens.

Regardless of what you wish to believe, you still have the lesson in the verse. You may have to discover it for yourself.

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The following passages support what you're saying.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare. 11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Matthew 24:45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Reactions: RandyPNW
Upvote 0