Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I need some help here! Does anybody have knowledge of the Bible’s timeline of Exodus and Egyptian chronology? The dates Egyptologists give don’t line up with the Bible. Is the Bible wrong or were the Egyptians wrong and please give the reasons why or links to those reasons.

Reactions: goldenboy

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Exodus is a legendary account, it is not historically accurate necessarily.
I notice that you’re Lutheran, as am I. I’m LCMS what are you? If you’re LCMS, what does the church think about the historicity of Exodus?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I notice that you’re Lutheran, as am I. I’m LCMS what are you? If you’re LCMS, what does the church think about the historicity of Exodus?

I was in the ELCA. I go to a Congregationalist church now, in the United Church of Christ.

There's a lack of archeological evidence for the Exodus narrative as its written in the Bible. Canaan was a vassal of Egypt during the time period the Exodus would have taken place. It's possible the Exodus narrative represents an attempt to explain a cultural and political revolution that took place among the lower classes of Canaanite society, who may not have had loyalty to Egypt. That's one major theory, at least.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, well, I think the LCMS‘s take on this is that Exodus isn’t a legendary account.

Probably. Some of them also seem to believe unless you believe that Noah's flood story was real, and that the world was created in six, 24 hour days, you're going to Hell, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Personally, I don't care one whit was Missouri teaches. It has no bearing on discussing on how historians tell the history of the ancient Near East.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Probably. Some of them also believe unless you believe that Noah's flood story was real, and that the world was created in six, 24 hour days, you're going to Hell, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Personally, I don't care one whit was Missouri teaches. It has no bearing on discussing on how historians tell the history of the ancient Near East.
Anyone else care to chime in?

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I need some help here! Does anybody have knowledge of the Bible’s timeline of Exodus and Egyptian chronology?

Israel’s biblical archaeology

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I need some help here! Does anybody have knowledge of the Bible’s timeline of Exodus and Egyptian chronology? The dates Egyptologists give don’t line up with the Bible. Is the Bible wrong or were the Egyptians wrong and please give the reasons why or links to those reasons.
A straightforward reading of the Bible, combined with some archeological evidence, leads to a date of 1446 BC. If accurate, it would be during the Egyptian 18th dynasty and specifically during the reign of Pharaoh Thutmoses III. His name means "Son of Thoth". Officially, Thutmose III ruled Egypt for almost 54 years, and his reign is usually dated from 28 April 1479 BC to 11 March 1425 BC, from the age of two and until his death at age fifty-six; however, during the first 22 years of his reign, he was coregent with his stepmother and aunt, Hatshepsut, who was named the pharaoh. He became the sole ruling pharaoh after the death of Hatshepsut in 1458 BC. He conducted no fewer than 17 campaigns from Syria to Upper Nubia, expanding Egypt's empire to its largest extent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arctangent

May 28, 2022
Midwest
✟26,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't speak to every single detail, but at least many of these discrepancies are cleared up when we use the genealogies as they appear in the Greek translation of the Old Testament instead of the Masoretic Old Testament. The Greek translation is seemingly based on a Hebrew that is different than the Masoretic, and around 1300 years older than the Masoretic. The ages in the genealogies in the Greek Seputagint are different, and the time from the flood to Abraham is many centuries longer than as it is in the Masoretic Hebrew.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟32,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You've raised a very complicated subject. Basically, modern archaeologists do not take the historical information in the Bible into account. Their method of dates rely on comparing documents and artifacts from different cultures against each other. That's what has happened with the accepted Egyptian historical dates. It's a house of cards full of best guesses. A lot of those guesses turn out to be wrong over the years. And the information in the Bible always lines up with every new archaeological discovery. Always.
There is an Egyptologist who has some fantastic research. He breaks away from his peers and actually looks at the evidence. He's not afraid to correct the modern view and provide a more accurate answer. His name is David Rohl. He's not a Christian (not yet, anyway). But he does treat the Bible as a valid historical record. However, he too has flaws. So don't accept everything he says.
However, the Bible does contain all the necessary information in order to construct an accurate historical timeline. I have a video series on this exact topic. I'm still working on the 2nd one where I show exactly which year the Exodus from Egypt was. Spoiler: it was 1457 BC.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5hXmAa691127dO2GlNGSIDAT8xdEtU32

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You've raised a very complicated subject. Basically, modern archaeologists do not take the historical information in the Bible into account. Their method of dates rely on comparing documents and artifacts from different cultures against each other. That's what has happened with the accepted Egyptian historical dates. It's a house of cards full of best guesses. A lot of those guesses turn out to be wrong over the years. And the information in the Bible always lines up with every new archaeological discovery. Always.
There is an Egyptologist who has some fantastic research. He breaks away from his peers and actually looks at the evidence. He's not afraid to correct the modern view and provide a more accurate answer. His name is David Rohl. He's not a Christian (not yet, anyway). But he does treat the Bible as a valid historical record. However, he too has flaws. So don't accept everything he says.
However, the Bible does contain all the necessary information in order to construct an accurate historical timeline. I have a video series on this exact topic. I'm still working on the 2nd one where I show exactly which year the Exodus from Egypt was. Spoiler: it was 1457 BC.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5hXmAa691127dO2GlNGSIDAT8xdEtU32
Thanks!

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟32,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really excited to let you know I've released Part 2 of my Exodus series. This one shows the exact year that the Exodus took place. As part of the investigation a few other major events are revealed as well - the Year of Creation, the Great Flood and the potential start of the 7th Day.
The Year of the Exodus

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FYI, I saw this video on YouTube years ago, and the author, Simcha Jacobovici , made full sense out of
the book of Exodus.

BTW, the warning about the video was given, but nothing immoral about it.

I know that Simcha Jacobovici is controversial, especially his claims about finding Jesus
tomb. However, the Exodus account was scientifically verified.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FYI, I saw this video on YouTube years ago, and the author, Simcha Jacobovici , made full sense out of
the book of Exodus.

BTW, the warning about the video was given, but nothing immoral about it.

I know that Simcha Jacobovici is controversial, especially his claims about finding Jesus
tomb. However, the Exodus account was scientifically verified.
Don’t know if I should watch the video or not. S.J.’s stuff about Jesus’ tomb really put me in a faith crisis for awhile.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don’t know if I should watch the video or not. S.J.’s stuff about Jesus’ tomb really put me in a faith crisis for awhile.
I hear you. However, he confirms the Exodus account, but uses science to interpret it.

The movie the Ten Commandments by Cecil B. DeMille was a literal interpretation and inaccurate.

I watched the video as there were posts about how there was no archeological evidence that the Jews
were ever slaves in Egypt, and their flight to freedom never happened.

The Documentary shows that it did. I also recall reading how they found pieces of Egpytian
chariots in the bottom mud of the Red Sea.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is my opinion that the Exodus occurred about 1570 BC. This timeline would be 1600 years before Jesus was baptized and explain why Jesus needed to be baptized.

This timeline would, also, line up with the volcanic explosion on Santorini. The pharaohs names at that time was Moses. Ahmoses I &II, Thutmoses I &II, etc...

The name Ahmoses also translates into "brother of Moses" in Hebrew.

The Hykos, whom according to Josephus, were the ancestors of the Israelites, resided in northern Egypt and were driven out by Ahmoses. A drawing on a temple during Ahmoses time shows chariots and men drowning in a flood.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hear you. However, he confirms the Exodus account, but uses science to interpret it.

The movie the Ten Commandments by Cecil B. DeMille was a literal interpretation and inaccurate.

I watched the video as there were posts about how there was no archeological evidence that the Jews
were ever slaves in Egypt, and their flight to freedom never happened.

The Documentary shows that it did. I also recall reading how they found pieces of Egpytian
chariots in the bottom mud of the Red Sea.
I read that the Egyptian chariots at the bottom of the sea is false

Upvote 0

goldenboy

Feb 4, 2010
✟18,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I need some help here! Does anybody have knowledge of the Bible’s timeline of Exodus and Egyptian chronology? The dates Egyptologists give don’t line up with the Bible. Is the Bible wrong or were the Egyptians wrong and please give the reasons why or links to those reasons.I

I've heard of two different chronologies. The latest I heard threw me for a loop, as I had only believed the 'accepted' one. I'm going from memory here but, IIRC, the accepted date of the Exodus took place about 1440. The 'revised' date puts it about 1250 + or -. I don't think that there were any contemporaneous Egyptian notes of the Exodus, so, there is only speculation. i'll check my notes and get back with you.

Upvote 0