• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Existential Crisis

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you get rid of it? It's one of the main causes for my depression. I feel trapped in a pointless existence.

For example, I watched this movie called vivarium which was not good for me. I didn't know what it was about when I watched it but it only made my anxiety worse.

In it a couple gets trapped in a suburban neighborhood that's empty and cold and they can never escape it's endless. They then just die joyless and cold. All while being studied by this other species. How do I not feel this way about life?

How do I not have this sinful view of God in the back of my mind. The. view that he has trapped me in a miserable and meaningless existence full of pain and suffering just for his personal observation and amusement and I will just die meaninglessly when it's all said and done.

I try not to feel this way and i say it's not true but deep down this is how I really feel.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do I not have this sinful view of God in the back of my mind. The. view that he has trapped me in a miserable and meaningless existence full of pain and suffering just for his personal observation and amusement and I will just die meaninglessly when it's all said and done.

I am sorry that you think your life is meaningless etc.
Depression has that effect. May I challenge you to look at life differently.
You are made in the image of God, like the rest of us that image is marred by sin, like God you are a rational, moral and spiritual being who Jesus gave up heaven to save.
Your life has purpose, you may not be saving the whales or Amazon forrests but you can share in the work of missionaries around the world.
By helping financially, by praying regularly and intelligently for them and their work, by writing to them.
If they are being supported by your church, news of church and local activities etc will keep them in touch with an area hey will be returning to.

Can you volunteer to help in local charities, or to help in any way at church.
Are there other people in your church or neighboring churches with similar problems? Could you help them with phone calls, visits, a group Bible study etc.

All these ideas take effort, you may not be able to do all or even an, what ever your mental state there is always one thing you can do.
Praise God for All he has done for you in salvation.

Upvote 0

svdvs

Jul 13, 2020
Ramnicu-Valcea
✟523.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Life indeed is meaningless if you take it outside God. Everything that is over a little house for living and something to eat is pointless because at some point we will die. You need to experience life in the context of Yahweh, who is a great God and you should thank Him that 'trapped you in a miserable and meaningless existence full of pain and suffering' because otherwise, you should have been dead for your sins against Him. He did not create disorder, he did not create sin, he allowed the sin, not because he likes it, because He loves us, and for our sake, He endures our sins because the final outcome, to be with Him in Christ.
I will pray for your comfort

Reactions: Andrewww
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am sorry that you think your life is meaningless etc.
Depression has that effect. May I challenge you to look at life differently.
You are made in the image of God, like the rest of us that image is marred by sin, like God you are a rational, moral and spiritual being who Jesus gave up heaven to save.
Your life has purpose, you may not be saving the whales or Amazon forrests but you can share in the work of missionaries around the world.
By helping financially, by praying regularly and intelligently for them and their work, by writing to them.
If they are being supported by your church, news of church and local activities etc will keep them in touch with an area hey will be returning to.

Can you volunteer to help in local charities, or to help in any way at church.
Are there other people in your church or neighboring churches with similar problems? Could you help them with phone calls, visits, a group Bible study etc.

All these ideas take effort, you may not be able to do all or even an, what ever your mental state there is always one thing you can do.
Praise God for All he has done for you in salvation.

I dont think my life is meaningless. I think life as a whole is meaningless.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Life indeed is meaningless if you take it outside God. Everything that is over a little house for living and something to eat is pointless because at some point we will die. You need to experience life in the context of Yahweh, who is a great God and you should thank Him that 'trapped you in a miserable and meaningless existence full of pain and suffering' because otherwise, you should have been dead for your sins against Him. He did not create disorder, he did not create sin, he allowed the sin, not because he likes it, because He loves us, and for our sake, He endures our sins because the final outcome, to be with Him in Christ.
I will pray for your comfort

I don't get it though. If God only creates good then how did he make people that commit sin?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont think my life is meaningless. I think life as a whole is meaningless.

There is a big difference between those two.
I don't think life is meaningless, it might be at times boring and dull but God gave me life, in that I have meaning and purpose. I have a value.

This is true of All people and especially true of Christians.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you get rid of it? It's one of the main causes for my depression. I feel trapped in a pointless existence.

For example, I watched this movie called vivarium which was not good for me. I didn't know what it was about when I watched it but it only made my anxiety worse.

In it a couple gets trapped in a suburban neighborhood that's empty and cold and they can never escape it's endless. They then just die joyless and cold. All while being studied by this other species. How do I not feel this way about life?

I try not to feel this way and i say it's not true but deep down this is how I really feel.

the answer to your question is simple, but in order to hear it your eye must be single ....

Upvote 0