exercise as treatment for depression

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know that research shows that exercise can be a treatment for depression.
I think it helps me personally.
Does anyone have any personal experience with this?
The research shows that relatively intense exercise is needed to get the benefit.
(had a good workout this morning- It's going to be a good day.)

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I notice it especially since I've been injured and physically limited. I don't feel as up as I like.

The one caution I'd put out there is that the exercise doesn't actually have to be super intense. A brisk walk can do the trick. Sometimes very vigorous exercise in a person who is not ready for it can create the opposite effect. So as always, start off slowly. Build as you go, and if it stops producing the "high" it just might be that you're overdoing it.

But absolutely, regular exercise is a must for people experiencing depression. And remember it can be as simple as walking.

Upvote 0

1Feather

Sep 19, 2013
✟804.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The research shows that relatively intense exercise is needed to get the benefit.

Exercise is definitely a great treatment for depression. If someone does suffer depression, starting an exercise regimen is the beginning of the way out. It doesn't have to be vigorous. A simple walk around the neighborhood, breathing deeply, is a good start.
Adding herbal supplements to a diet helps too. Burdock root, standardized extract so as to get 100% of the medicinal herbal properties, helps with blood cleansing. Stagnant blood, a sedentary lifestyle, can contribute to depression. Bad diet, food allergies, can too.
Burdock cleanses the blood. As does Milk Thistle in helping to cleanse the liver that filters the blood.
St. Johns wort is a great anti-depressant. However, prolonged use will reverse its affects and cause depression, so be careful.
SAMe is a supplement that also helps with depression.
The rule for taking herbs is take them for 4 days and stop for 3 days in a week. This three days allows the body to utilize the nutrition that has built up in the 4 day regimen.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm encouraged that others have had a good experience.

My mood tanked in a period of grief. I had exercised before and continued to exercise. I read about this subject. I obtained prescription medication but didn't like the fatigue so I only took them for a few days ( I told the doctor). I went for counseling. So in the end it is difficult to say what helped but you can't go too wrong with moderate intensity exercise.

I do both cardio and weight training.
I'll have to read about Burdock root.

The behavior change to do consistent exercise is difficult for people. I know that some people just dislike exercise. Lots of people cite time constraints and if you are a parent of young children, I can empathize. But for many people, it just comes down to priorities and people have to make choices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
Look into serotonin boosting diets foods rich in Omega 3 and 6 plus vitamin B12 boosts serotonin (chemical in your brain that makes you happy)

Get lots of Sun light too. (boosts serotonin)

Exercise gives you a lift but it's only short lived the endorphins released from exercise only last for a short while, so exorcise tho it is good in moderation is not going to fix your depression problem, if you over exorcise it could make your problem even worse. People with depression need to keep there stress levels down. Exorcise is physical stress so too much exorcise will hurt you

Moderation is the key

God bless

Upvote 0

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with the last post.
There is actually a threshold effect.
The exercise has to be of a fairly aggressive nature to have benefit for mood, based on research.
A general principle for exercise is to gradually increase exertion and duration over time. No reason to lolly-gag forever.

Upvote 0

hopefullady78

Jun 24, 2010
Georgia
✟15,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Absolutely. I feel great after exercising. I do intervals while I am walking. It is definitely a great mood enhancer.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is no question, that exercise is an excellent treatment for depression.

One should start gradually and build up to what they can tolerate. The key is, to not start and then stop for 4-5 days and start up again. Exercise, should be done, at least 4 days per week for the right benefits to take hold.

Also, as one becomes more fit and better able to tolerate exercise, the quality of the exercise (the intensity), is just as important (if not more important), than the duration. 20-25 minutes of higher intensity exercise, provides more benefits, than, 45 minutes of lower intensity exercise.

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Yes and yes, physical activities (such as hiking, pilates,dancing or anything you enjoy doing) at least 30min a day plus a healthy diet with no sugar, no processed and fried foods, good breakfast, lean protein, flaxseed, a good multivitamin, lots of watee, makes huge difference in how good i feel in my personal experience. Plus guard my thoughts and apply Phillipians 4 : 8.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Exercise has helped lift my spirits, and I've seen it in others. My experience suggests that "intense" is not required. However, I'm only one data point. I also take Vitamin B-12 because my level was low, and I was told that can help too if you are deficient.

Upvote 0