The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Since I have a thread for tracking parishes which are heterodox or depart in material ways from the expectation of their denominations, I thought it meet to create a thread for the opposite purpose. Thus, here are churches which, at the time of their entry on this list, impress me as to their piety and the excellence of their worship. Because things can change, this list should not be viewed as a recommendation for church seekers, but rather as a commendation for excellence based on what I have seen. For this reason, entries in this list are divided by a leaf of autumn, indicating they are ready to harvest, whereas for some time in the other list I have used a green leaf, indicating hope for renewal.

:mapleleaf:

St. Bartholomew’s, City of London, UK
This parish, consisting of St. Bartholomew the Great, which is the oldest surviving church in Greater London, and the smaller St. Bartholomew the Less, surround the historic St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. The worship is Upper High Church using the BCP.

All Saints Margaret Street, City of Westminster, Greater London, UK
This famous Anglo Catholic parish serves daily masses, including a Marian Devotional Mass most Saturdays, and a beautiful High Mass on Sundays, using Common Worship. This parish is extremely Anglo Catholic and might be a good alternative for Catholics in greater London should the Traditional Latin Mass be suppressed entirely.

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Las Vegas, Nevada
I like this parish. I particularly like the fact they serve the Divine Liturgy of St. James most years on October 23rd. The clergy are friendly and have a positive attitude. I also like the nearby Romanian Orthodox Church, whose name I forget, which has really excellent music.

Cape May Episcopal Church, Cape May, New Jersey
A charming parish which is focused on Christ and represents traditional Anglican values, and excellence in using the 1979 Book of Common Prayer.

Please post any suggestions, including your own parish, for inclusion on this list. The criteria are good worship, Christ-centeredness, and a restraint from the open embrace or toleration of behavior categorized as sinful in the Holy Bible and the writings of the Early Church Fathers.

Last edited:

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟702,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you visited St. John's episcopal in Savannah, GA. While this church is way higher in liturgy than I am used to the music program is one of the best I have heard. And they use thr 1928 BCP.

Home - St. John's Church Savannah GA

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Since I have a thread for tracking parishes which are heterodox or depart in material ways from the expectation of their denominations, I thought it meet to create a thread for the opposite purpose. Thus, here are churches which, at the time of their entry on this list, impress me as to their piety and the excellence of their worship. Because things can change, this list should not be viewed as a recommendation for church seekers, but rather as a commendation for excellence based on what I have seen. For this reason, entries in this list are divided by a leaf of autumn, indicating they are ready to harvest, whereas for some time in the other list I have used a green leaf, indicating hope for renewal.

Please post any suggestions, including your own parish, for inclusion on this list. The criteria are good worship, Christ-centeredness, and a restraint from the open embrace or toleration of behavior categorized as sinful in the Holy Bible and the writings of the Early Church Fathers.
St. Agnes parish in St. Paul MN. Superlative traditional music. Liturgies in English or in Latin. The Latin ones in OF or EF. Solidly orthodox with an excellent school. Vocations aplenty. Influential at least nation-wide. Msgr Schuller implemented Vatican II the way it should have been implemented everywhere and it thrived.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
St. Agnes parish in St. Paul MN. Superlative traditional music. Liturgies in English or in Latin. The Latin ones in OF or EF. Solidly orthodox with an excellent school. Vocations aplenty. Influential at least nation-wide. Msgr Schuller implemented Vatican II the way it should have been implemented everywhere and it thrived.

Is it still thriving I hope?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is it still thriving I hope?
Last I heard. My son graduated from their high school, although we never were parishioners there. He will be visiting some of his high school friends next week and getting the latest scoop.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Another very worthy parish I have been to is St. Barnabas in Omaha NE. Anglican Ordinariate with a long history of being THE Anglo Catholic Church in Omaha. It’s a small place with wonderful liturgies and a high class pipe organ that gets used a lot. It is a treasure of a place I will go back to.

• Winner
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
@MarkRohfrietsch what is the name of your parish, and are there any other LCC/LCMS or other parishes you reccommend?
St. Peter's Ev. Lut. Church, Stratford, Ontario, Canada; LCC. There are many orthodox parishes.
Zion Detroit:
Our Savior in London Ontario.
Redeemer in Monkton Ontario
Christ Lutheran in Sarnia:
image1.jpeg

Just to name a few. Bunch in Kitchener, Eastern Ontario, Golden Horseshoe, Northern Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. I don't know much of the Western Churches. There are more throughout the us; mainly in the East and midwest.
Our Pash this past Sunday (Reformation Festival): St. Peter's Services | Reformation | By St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church | Facebook
View attachment 322603

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0