Executive Privelege

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It specifically states that the resolution must specify the purpose for which the return is requested. I don't believe the purpose can be "just cause we want it" is good enough.
Does the law say that only certain reasons are acceptable, or is it just something you believe?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Vox has opinions for a variety of legal experts, Can Congress force Trump to hand over his tax returns? We asked 11 legal experts.. All agree that no reason is necessary under the law. The one who thinks there might be a challenge agrees about what the law says, but thinks unjustified requests might be unconstitutional anyway. With today's Supreme Court, who knows what the decision would be. But there doesn't seem to be much question about the law.

Note that congress would still be required to keep it private.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Does the law say that only certain reasons are acceptable, or is it just something you believe?

It seems odd that they would include a reason in the law, bit then turn around and say there doesn't have to be a reason. Not every "reason" is a reason. "Just cause I want to see if he might have done something wrong, but I have no evidence of it" isn't really specific reason.

But I think this will be decided in court. We can debate about the specificity of a reason, but it's only our opinion after all. I will wait for the courts to decide the legitimacy of the specific reason given.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Here's the request: Neal Statement on Requesting President Trump’s Tax Returns. It does state a reason. It's an interesting one.

As I understand it, the President, alone among Federal officials, is exempt from conflict of interest laws. Since the president can't meaningfully audit himself, it is Congress' responsibility to see whether presidents have any significant conflicts of interest. This is a particular concern with Trump, because he has not put his businesses in escrow, as is typically done.

Here's a review of the legal situation: Why the IRS is legally required to give Congress Trump's tax returns, but probably won't. While people disagree, there does seem to be a reasonable basis for it.

That is one of the lamest reasons I've ever heard. It talks more about the IRS than the president. Checking to see if the IRS is doing their job? They could look at that without seeing Trump's returns. There are plenty of people's tax returns to look at to see if they are doing their job. How about start with George Soros and the Koch brothers.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It seems odd that they would include a reason in the law, bit then turn around and say there doesn't have to be a reason. Not every "reason" is a reason. "Just cause I want to see if he might have done something wrong, but I have no evidence of it" isn't really specific reason.

Nor is it the reason given in this case, so I have no idea why you'd bring it up instead of just answering my question. But I guess that in itself is an answer.

But I think this will be decided in court. We can debate about the specificity of a reason, but it's only our opinion after all. I will wait for the courts to decide the legitimacy of the specific reason given.
Yeah, people think lots of things. Anything in the actual law as written make you believe this, or is it just another feeling you have?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Nor is it the reason given in this case, so I have no idea why you'd bring it up instead of just answering my question. But I guess that in itself is an answer.

Yeah, people think lots of things. Anything in the actual law as written make you believe this, or is it just another feeling you have?

I answered your question. The law says that only certain reasons are acceptable. It says specific reasons. It doesn't say any reason is acceptable.

In this case the law says you have to have a specific reason to look at a single persons tax return. The reason given is not specific as to why they want to look at Trump's return. It's a very broad reason to see if the IRS is doing their job. That is not a specific reason to look at Trump's return. They are targeting Trump. What specific reason was given to say the IRS did not do their job in reviewing Trump's return?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I answered your question. The law says that only certain reasons are acceptable. It says specific reasons. It doesn't say any reason is acceptable.

In this case the law says you have to have a specific reason to look at a single persons tax return. The reason given is not specific as to why they want to look at Trump's return. It's a very broad reason to see if the IRS is doing their job. That is not a specific reason to look at Trump's return. They are targeting Trump. What specific reason was given to say the IRS did not do their job in reviewing Trump's return?
Can you show us the law that says a specific reason needs to be given?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

For some reason you're not actually quoting the parts of the law which say this.

Weird how you start by asserting that the reason given was a bad one, then end by asking what the reason was as if you don't know. This would be a lot more convincing if you picked one story and stuck to it.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
For some reason you're not actually quoting the parts of the law which say this.

Weird how you start by asserting that the reason given was a bad one, then end by asking what the reason was as if you don't know. This would be a lot more convincing if you picked one story and stuck to it.

I did quote the law in a previous post. You'll have to go back and read it. Others saw it and thanked me for putting it in a post.

I told you the reason they gave. They want to make sure the IRS is doing their job and reviewing tax returns correctly. Thats why they want to see Trumps return. I read the report. Did you?

I asked you to give me the specific reason why they think the IRS failed to review Trump's return correctly. If you can find one let me know what it is cause I didn't see it.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I did quote the law in a previous post. You'll have to go back and read it.

Post #?

I asked you to give me the specific reason why they think the IRS failed to review Trump's return correctly. If you can find one let me know what it is cause I didn't see it.

I think I and others already identified this as a red herring, because there's nothing in the law which allows Treasury to refuse Congress based on the reasons given.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well it's nice we can at least all agree that this is Executive privilege abuse. :wave:
tulc(also isn't sure why something that "completely exonerates the President" needs to be hidden by the President) :scratch:
Because he has something to hide or may fear he did something bad and cannot remember it.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Looks like the IRS doesn't agree with the arguments raised against Congress' request for Trump's tax returns : https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...fc796cf2ec0_story.html?utm_term=.e9bf448f578b

A confidential Internal Revenue Service legal memo says tax returns must be given to Congress unless the president takes the rare step of asserting executive privilege, according to a copy of the memo obtained by The Washington Post.

The memo contradicts the Trump administration’s justification for denying lawmakers’ request for President Trump’s tax returns, exposing fissures in the executive branch.

according to the IRS memo, which has not been previously reported, the disclosure of tax returns to the committee “is mandatory, requiring the Secretary to disclose returns, and return information, requested by the tax-writing Chairs.”

The 10-page document says the law “does not allow the Secretary to exercise discretion in disclosing the information provided the statutory conditions are met” and directly rejects the reason Mnuchin has cited for withholding the information.

Upvote 0