Executive Privelege

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is no way to prove that he did anything wrong by his tax returns.
If that were true, it sure makes one wonder why Trump is so dead set against releasing his. Or at least it should make one wonder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
If that were true, it sure makes one wonder why Trump is so dead set against releasing his. Or at least it should make one wonder.
Perhaps he just thinks his tax returns are none of our business. There is no constitutional or legal requirement for him to do so.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps he just thinks his tax returns are none of our business. There is no constitutional or legal requirement for him to do so.
Do we have to explain to you again why that isn't true?
26 USC 6103

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Don't the schools teach good nutrition any more?
It is written somewhere online, accurately, tested and proven,
that all disease is basically caused by dehydration, mal-nutrition, and stress.

The clinics that practice such, cure most all disease. Who do you know that knows this ? anywhere ?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps he just thinks his tax returns are none of our business.

Yeah, like I said, it has to make one wonder what in there is so worrying that he'd feel he has to hide it. And after promising to release them just a short while ago, too.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Who do you know (poor or rich) purposefully prevents scurvy, leukemia, dementia, and high blood pressure ?
There is a difference between being told how to prevent stuff and actually doing it. I know how to prevent all of that by eating healthy, excersing etc and I grew up poor. It doesn't mean I'm actually doing it.

And your comment still doesn't prove the poor are being oppressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It is written somewhere online, accurately, tested and proven,
that all disease is basically caused by dehydration, mal-nutrition, and stress.

The clinics that practice such, cure most all disease. Who do you know that knows this ? anywhere ?
My kids learned all about proper nutrition etc in school as well as at home. My wife grew up very poor and knows about proper nutrition. The schools may not teach the stress issue, but that still doesn't prove the poor are being oppressed

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Do we have to explain to you again why that isn't true?
26 USC 6103
Maybe I should have clarified. There is no constitutional requirement for him to turn over his tax returns for us to see them. It's none of our business. In fact the law says that there has to be evidence of wrong doing before even the government officials can demand them. At this point there isn't anything and it would be simply a fishing expedition.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe I should have clarified. There is no constitutional requirement for him to turn over his tax returns for us to see them. It's none of our business. In fact the law says that there has to be evidence of wrong doing before even the government officials can demand them. At this point there isn't anything and it would be simply a fishing expedition.
As I understand the issue, nobody has asked the President for his tax return information.
The committee, through the proper legal channels, asked the Director of the IRS to provide the materials.
The IRS Director’s boss, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin, inserted himself into the question and will not allow the IRS Director to abide by the law, which does not have a provision for “wrongdoing” (nor, indeed, a “legitimate legislative purpose”).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
As I understand the issue, nobody has asked the President for his tax return information.
The committee, through the proper legal channels, asked the Director of the IRS to provide the materials.
The IRS Director’s boss, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin, inserted himself into the question and will not allow the IRS Director to abide by the law, which does not have a provision for “wrongdoing” (nor, indeed, a “legitimate legislative purpose”).

I read the statute and it sure read to me they need a reason for asking for the returns. They can't ask for returns for fishing expeditions.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,640.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I read the statute and it sure read to me they need a reason for asking for the returns. They can't ask for returns for fishing expeditions.

Oh, where did you see that requirement in the statute?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Oh, where did you see that requirement in the statute?

4f3
There has to be a reason for the request. If they can't specify a specific reason then they shouldn't have access. The chairman of the ways and means committee can get it without a reason, but it has to be in a closed session. So even if he did you and I would have no idea or access to what was in the return.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
4f3
The chairman of the ways and means committee can get it without a reason, but it has to be in a closed session.
Yes, we knew that, took it for granted and thought that was what you were calling illegal. Apologies.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,640.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
4f3
There has to be a reason for the request. If they can't specify a specific reason then they shouldn't have access. The chairman of the ways and means committee can get it without a reason, but it has to be in a closed session. So even if he did you and I would have no idea or access to what was in the return.

I thought that according to the statute they have to get the permission of the tax payer? It makes no mention of requiring a reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I thought that according to the statute they have to get the permission of the tax payer? It makes no mention of requiring a reason.
It looks looks like the session has to be closed unless the tax payet gives permission otherwise and it does say committees need a reason. It specifically states that the resolution must specify the purpose for which the return is requested. I don't believe the purpose can be "just cause we want it" is good enough. It looks to me that the one that doesn't need a reason is the chairman of the ways and means. But again if he asks for them the session is closed and not everyone gets access.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It looks looks like the session has to be closed unless the tax payet gives permission otherwise and it does say committees need a reason. It looks to me that the one that doesn't need a reason is the chairman of the ways and means. But again if he asks for them the session is closed and not everyone gets access.
That is correct. That is exactly what should happen, what we want to happen, and what Trump is refusing.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That is correct. That is exactly what should happen, what we want to happen, and what Trump is refusing.

Everything I've seen is the reason is cause they "think" something "might" show up "if" they had a look. That sounds like a fishing exipition to me and not really a specific reason.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Here's the request: Neal Statement on Requesting President Trump’s Tax Returns. It does state a reason. It's an interesting one.

As I understand it, the President, alone among Federal officials, is exempt from conflict of interest laws. Since the president can't meaningfully audit himself, it is Congress' responsibility to see whether presidents have any significant conflicts of interest. This is a particular concern with Trump, because he has not put his businesses in escrow, as is typically done.

Here's a review of the legal situation: Why the IRS is legally required to give Congress Trump's tax returns, but probably won't. While people disagree, there does seem to be a reasonable basis for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,640.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It looks looks like the session has to be closed unless the tax payet gives permission otherwise and it does say committees need a reason. It specifically states that the resolution must specify the purpose for which the return is requested. I don't believe the purpose can be "just cause we want it" is good enough. It looks to me that the one that doesn't need a reason is the chairman of the ways and means. But again if he asks for them the session is closed and not everyone gets access.

Ah! I was not aware of that. Thank you for the information. :)

Upvote 0