Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Link:

Executing 7 men in 10 days this Easter will not restore justice to Arkansas

Excerpt:

Humans have turned on each other since the beginning of time, committing horrific crimes. Our natural response has been to kill those who kill. Why? Fear. Fear that we cannot be kept safe from those who have done great harm. But we have a substantial prison system in this country, and murder rates do not vary between states with the death penalty and those without. Execution is not a deterrent to violent crime.

If execution does not reduce crime, does it relieve the suffering of victims’ family members? On the contrary, family members will commonly say that they are re-victimized by the death penalty. While they are promised peace, what they get are years to repeatedly relive the horrific events at each stage of the appeals process. When the execution finally takes place, another family—that of the executed perpetrator—must endure grief. And this new death certainly does not bring back the beloved victim.

We respond to violence with violence in order to exact revenge. A revenge that stands directly opposed to the image of Jesus we will honor this Easter.

In the Passion readings of this Holy Week, we are reminded of the 2,000-year-old drama of the legal, public and strategic execution of an innocent man. Jesus, who was subjected to a painful state-sanctioned execution, responded counterculturally and forgave those who crucified him. He went so far as to welcome the sinner who hung beside him into his kingdom in heaven. As a society we should expect justice and protect ourselves, but also follow Jesus’ example and seek to restore victims and perpetrators. Not exact revenge for its own sake. Through restoring all who have been affected by a grave harm, we can work toward becoming the peaceable kingdom of God, the Easter message of the Resurrection.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
[Staff edit].

The Christian message is one of redemption and new life. Why would we celebrate death, especially on this Easter Sunday? We need to keep society safe from murderers, but this can be achieved simply by imprisoning them. Killing them is gratuitous and part of the eye for an eye Old Testament justice that Jesus said we should move beyond IMO.

Additionally, even in death penalty cases, there are times when innocent people are convicted. If we discover they are innocent while they are in prison, we can't give them those years of their lives back that they've lost while unjustly suffering in prison, but we can at least release them and let them live the rest of their lives as free men and women. If we execute them, we can't bring them back from the dead and give them their lives back when we find out they were wrongly convicted; they remain dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I will never understand how some Christians can celebrate and rejoice in the death of another human being, especially when the Christian claims to be pro-life. As far as I am aware, Christians were commanded to love their enemies, pray for their enemies and do good to their enemies. I cannot recall one scripture reference where Christians are commanded to rejoice in the death of another person, no matter the circumstance of the death. Is there such a scripture or scriptures that I must have missed?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The Christian message is one of redemption and new life. Why would we celebrate death, especially on this Easter Sunday? We need to keep society safe from murderers, but this can be achieved simply by imprisoning them. Killing them is gratuitous and part of the eye for an eye Old Testament justice that Jesus said we should move beyond IMO.

Worth pointing out that even prior to Jesus's time, the idea was about compensation for the injury done, not about poking everybody's eye out. It wasn't some kind of execution buffet.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A state Supreme Court has blocked it because the pharmaceutical company who provided it to the state was not told it was being used--in combination with other drugs--to kill. As I understand it, these companies don't want their medications to be used as part of a poison cocktail.

The state attorney general is appealing--says the judge went to an anti-death penalty rally and is biased.

In the meantime, I believe one or two of the prisoners has been recommended for clemency.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A state Supreme Court has blocked it because the pharmaceutical company who provided it to the state was not told it was being used--in combination with other drugs--to kill. As I understand it, these companies don't want their medications to be used as part of a poison cocktail.

The state attorney general is appealing--says the judge went to an anti-death penalty rally and is biased.

In the meantime, I believe one or two of the prisoners has been recommended for clemency.

It was Wendell Griffen, a Pulaski County circuit judge, who issued that injunction. Shortly after his ruling, he lied on a cot in front of the governor's mansion and made out like an inmate who was being put to death. And, that is a consistent problem with Wendell Griffen -- even if his rulings are sound, his out-of-court antics often call his judgment into question.

Meanwhile, a federal judge has put six of the executions on hold (two were granted stays already) as she claims that the state's attempt to get these over with in a hurry so its supply of lethal injection drugs won't go bad has denied them due process. Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge, then, has a busy week ahead.

No one has been recommended or clemency.

• Informative
Reactions: rdBGd5W99F
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[Staff edit].

I'm no fan of the death penalty. In fact, I enjoy the irony that quite a few members of the pro-choice bunch here in scenic Arkansas are out protesting the death penalty (apparently, killing is OK except when it's not or something like that). I'm of the belief that we ought not cheer about either useless murderers or unwanted babies being put to death.

Meanwhile, I'd argue that Jason McGehee and Kenneth Williams are the worst of the bunch. Williams helped beat a teenager to death and McGehee had great fun taunting the victim's family during his trial. I'm all for keeping these eight fine gentlemen locked up for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a horrible witness to the Christian faith when Christians rejoice and celebrate the death of people or call for the death of people. It is disingenuous for them to keep calling themselves pro-life.

And I repeat from my previous post: As far as I am aware, Christians were commanded to love their enemies, pray for their enemies and do good to their enemies. I cannot recall one scripture reference where Christians are commanded to rejoice in the death of another person, no matter the circumstance of the death. Is there such a scripture or scriptures that I must have missed?

I think this quote is appropriate for this thread: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." - Brennan Manning of dc Talk

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I prudentially disagree with our good bishop.

If the men were convicted by a jury of their peers and received due process of law, then the death penalty is a just recourse of the State. I have seen nothing suggesting that any of these men were wrongly convicted or sentenced. As such, the Governor should not issue them pardons. And activist judges should not overturn the sentences of the trial court.

All this fanangling over the specific drugs and how they were obtained is a bunch of missing the forest for the trees. The cocktail was approved by the US Supreme Court and what does it matter how the State obtained it?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What a horrible witness to the Christian faith when Christians rejoice and celebrate the death of people or call for the death of people. It is disingenuous for them to keep calling themselves pro-life.

And I repeat from my previous post: As far as I am aware, Christians were commanded to love their enemies, pray for their enemies and do good to their enemies. I cannot recall one scripture reference where Christians are commanded to rejoice in the death of another person, no matter the circumstance of the death. Is there such a scripture or scriptures that I must have missed?

I think this quote is appropriate for this thread: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." - Brennan Manning of dc Talk
I wouldn't celebrate the death of murderers, per se. But there is absolutely nothing unChristian or unCatholic in supporting the Death Penalty as a matter of prudential judgment. Pope Benedict said so. He also said we could disagree on the DP but not on abortion. So saying that being pro-DP and Pro-life are contradictions is not in line with the teaching of the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Supreme Court bars Griffen from hearing cases related to executions

The Arkansas Supreme Court has barred Pulaski County Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen from hearing any cases involving the death penalty or the state's execution protocol. The Court said it would reassign cases currently before Griffen.

Griffen had granted a temporary restraining order against the Arkansas Department of Correction from using vecuronium bromide as a part of its three-drug execution protocol in response to a lawsuit filed by the drug's supplier, McKesson Medical-Surgical.

Griffen went to protest outside the Governor's Mansion on Friday shortly after granting the temporary restraining order, prompting an outpouring of criticism.

Supreme Court bars Griffen from hearing cases related to executions | Arkansas Blog

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

According to this article in NPR, the pharmaceutical supplier alleges that the state bought the drug deceptively, actively misleading the seller about what the vecuronium bromide would be used for, so this further justifies their position.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That's a useful word "prudentially". I think I'll use that word in future when disagreeing with any Catholic Bishop, Cardinal or Pope. It exonerates me from having a different opinion to them. :)

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's a useful word "prudentially". I think I'll use that word in future when disagreeing with any Catholic Bishop, Cardinal or Pope. It exonerates me from having a different opinion to them. :)
It's the word Pope Benedict used to describe how we may disagree. Badically, my disagreement is still rooted in Catholic theology and isn't over a so-called non-negotiable issue that we are not allowed to disagree with.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please note that this is the Liberal Catholic forum. Posts not in keeping with the beliefs of Liberal Catholics, or mocking their position, are not allowed here.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

If the men were convicted by a jury of their peers and received due process of law, then the death penalty is a just recourse of the State. I have seen nothing suggesting that any of these men were wrongly convicted or sentenced.

Arkansas executions: profiles of the eight death row prisoners

If they could learn these facts in England, why aren't they published in Arkansas? I did read that Lee asked that has last meal be "Communion." (Not sure which denomination Lee is a member of.)

Lee maintains his innocence and has taken several legal actions against his own public defenders. One was proven to have had a substance abuse problem and another surrendered his license due to mental health issues. Some of Lee’s attorneys have argued that in his original trial his representation failed to present or search for mitigating evidence, including the fact that he may be intellectually disabled.

• Informative
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Join the USCCB in prayer against the death penalty:
Prayer to End the Use of the Death Penalty
"Merciful Father, we ask your blessing on all we do to build a culture of life. Hear our prayers for those impacted by the death penalty.

We pray for all people, that their lives and dignity as children of a loving God may be respected and protected in all stages and circumstances.

We pray for victims of violence and their families, that they may experience our love and support and find comfort in your compassion and in the promise of eternal life.

We pray for those on death row, that their lives may be spared, that the innocent may be freed and that the guilty may come to acknowledge their faults and seek reconciliation with you.

We pray for the families of those who are facing execution, that they may be comforted by your love and compassion.

We pray for civic leaders, that they may commit themselves to respecting every human life and ending the use of the death penalty in our land.

Compassionate Father, give us wisdom and hearts filled with your love. Guide us as we work to end the use of the death penalty and to build a society that truly chooses life in all situations.

We ask this Father through your Son Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever."

Amen

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Join the USCCB in prayer against the death penalty:
Prayer to End the Use of the Death Penalty
"Merciful Father, we ask your blessing on all we do to build a culture of life. Hear our prayers for those impacted by the death penalty.

We pray for all people, that their lives and dignity as children of a loving God may be respected and protected in all stages and circumstances.

We pray for victims of violence and their families, that they may experience our love and support and find comfort in your compassion and in the promise of eternal life.

We pray for those on death row, that their lives may be spared, that the innocent may be freed and that the guilty may come to acknowledge their faults and seek reconciliation with you.

We pray for the families of those who are facing execution, that they may be comforted by your love and compassion.

We pray for civic leaders, that they may commit themselves to respecting every human life and ending the use of the death penalty in our land.

Compassionate Father, give us wisdom and hearts filled with your love. Guide us as we work to end the use of the death penalty and to build a society that truly chooses life in all situations.

We ask this Father through your Son Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever."

Amen

Thank you for posting this prayer, Fantine. It is inspiring.

Upvote 0