Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 18:15-17
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and

This answers your question but there are other verses too:

1 Corinthians 5:1-8 directs the church at Corinth to excommunicate a man for repeated sexual immorality (incest). In 2 Corinthians 5-11, the man, having repented and suffered the "punishment by the majority" is restored to the church. Fornication is not the only ground for excommunication, according to the apostle: in 5:11, Paul says, "I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler - not even to eat with such a one."

Romans 16:17
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Also, in 2 John 1:10-11, the writer advises believers that "whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

• Informative
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What about sisters..and could greed mean...those who are greedy not just for money but status, food, etc?

Idolator...can you give examples.
Reviler...? What is that, someone who hates God?

If you tried to talk to somoeone and they didnt listen, do you take another person whos also a believer. Can anyone give an example or experience of this happening in their lives?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The doctrine of Christ...so its people that believe contrary to the bible? Cos there are many even on this forum who are always causing divisions as they have another doctrine but seem to be one of the biggest groups around. They call everyone who is not of their own group 'protestants'

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
People that serve their own belly...in the romans verse context...

Can you give examples, from the bible or in your own life. Does it mean people who are only interested in food. Like they would rather go out to a restaurant than church or perhaps only come because of the free meal.

I find it interesting that is their own belly..such a graphic way of putting it.

I knew this lady who would only come to church to announce she had children..always wondered why she never came at any other time. She claimed she belonged but just never ever saw her come to a service only when she wanted to boast of something. I felt like she was snobbing us, she would come to bible study, but not actually fellowship with us. This really bothered me for some reason. You try talking to them but they just dont want to listen.

I dont really see her outside of bible study like i do with all the other ladies. With eveyone else im not concerned as their salvation is assured but this one has a huge question mark. I went over to her place one time to visit her baby and it was filled with occult symbols and rpg games. I thought hmm, something going on here...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is getting another witness and talking over spiritual matters with them that im finding difficult though.
Otherwise the lines of communication are still open, but if they not willing to listen, i just dont want to keep partaking in whatever interests them more...eg shopping, idols, etc.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just want to add the reason this is important and why im asking in theology is...there are people in my life who have said they are christians but they dont act like they are. Do I just treat them as heathens if they not willing to listen to the things of God.

Or does excommunication mean..dont talk to them at all, or eat with them, avoid them completely, or just dont talk to them about spiritual things as its like throwing pearls before swine.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I found this 2 Timothy 3:1-5

The advice given to Timothy is 'from such turn away' I wonder if this is meant in general or in a ministering context.

I can imagine timothy having all sorts of people come to him but only interested in their own pleasures not Jesus. He could say sorry cant help you there. I dont know if that means Paul was saying dont talk to such people. Maybe they asked him to pray to get something or other for themselves, rather than actually want to know God and what He wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol nobody else is communicating with me on this topic. I sure there is more the bible says about it, like if you go to a house and they dont receive you and the gospel shake the dust off your feet and move on.

Am reading a book about The twelve steps heresy, basically its saying alcholicism is just a fancy name for drunkards. They tried to make out like it was a disease that needs expensive treatment and AA meetings when really they just choose to get drunk.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just want to add the reason this is important and why im asking in theology is...there are people in my life who have said they are christians but they dont act like they are. Do I just treat them as heathens if they not willing to listen to the things of God.

Or does excommunication mean..dont talk to them at all, or eat with them, avoid them completely, or just dont talk to them about spiritual things as its like throwing pearls before swine.
Pray for them.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did pray, but for what God will do in their life and thanking Him not praying what they want God to do. I think they asked me to pray for them cos God isnt listening to their somewhat selfish prayers..you cant manipulate God into doing things for you.

Ive learned that many people only pray when they want God to do something for them rather than just praying unceasingly all the time to be in a relationship with Him. Its like the friends that always ask favours and only call on you when they want something.

Jesus had this, people only hung around him expecting miracles and a free meal and didnt bother to thank Him and give glory to our Father.

Upvote 0