✟404,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Greetings,

I have been a part of three denominations in my life. In one I have seen pastors with a gluttony for church discipline and potential excommunication over the pettiest of issues (ones that do not warrant discipline or excommunication going off of any Biblical theology, at least from what I can discern), in another I saw no discipline/excommunication process for members, and in another there were processes in place but they were highly unlikely to be used.

I find Calvary Chapel intriguing for a variety of reasons, both theological and otherwise. I understand that Calvary Chapel does not have membership, but I am curious if Calvary Chapel administers church discipline and if so under what sort of parameters/protocols.

Thank you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your topic enlisted my attention and I had things to say, but you are in wrong forum for my participation. I search "New Threads' for threads to participate and sometimes am so gripped by the topic (first thing in line and far from specific forum label) I click on topic instantaneously to check content for participation. I have attended THREE + churches which had "Calvary" in their names so this church which you are apparently addressing surely did NOT want to be distinguished separately or uniquely and I was misled to this thread because of that. Sorry, but that point alone should be contemplated. Good luck on your search for a church family honoring and glorifying God.

Upvote 0

Devin Hammond

Nov 25, 2020
San Clemente
✟3,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No, Calvary Chapel does not discipline it’s people. This could probably happen in extremely rare circumstances but it is highly unlikely to take place. It’s possible that you could be asked to leave if you caused some sort of major problem but again that would be extremely rare.

Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟404,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is correction then patience and ultimately you can be separated from the church. And pastors who sin have to step down.

Interesting. I know about CC's adherence to a Moses model approach to leadership, but I had also heard that there's a system in place so that pastors couldn't stray from biblical teaching. Haven't looked into the ins and outs of the rules, though.

I've been listening to sermons from a localish (too far for me to attend, but only a state away) CC and I find the teaching inspiring. The stuff's true to the Word and unafraid to broach sensitive issues.

I know I mentioned this in my original post, but I've been a part of churches that use discipline of members as if it's an addiction and I've been a part of others that are curiously close to anything-goes. I like the idea of a church that wisely and prayerfully discerns when to correct others without being in a rush to cast them out.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟409,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yah they are trying to stay as biblically close as they can. They have much faith that the Word is complete and trustworthy. But nobody is perfect. I only heard of one pastor who had to step down. Nothing is done without consulting the word, God and others about it. The correction that I know of is just. It never gets a foothold in our church, whatever it might be. It might be Satanic or false doctrine or lifestyle. We had some for awhile, they corrected and were patient. But when the church didn’t change to their liking they moved on. Just worship styles and like the Toronto blessing.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings,

I have been a part of three denominations in my life. In one I have seen pastors with a gluttony for church discipline and potential excommunication over the pettiest of issues (ones that do not warrant discipline or excommunication going off of any Biblical theology, at least from what I can discern), in another I saw no discipline/excommunication process for members, and in another there were processes in place but they were highly unlikely to be used.

I find Calvary Chapel intriguing for a variety of reasons, both theological and otherwise. I understand that Calvary Chapel does not have membership, but I am curious if Calvary Chapel administers church discipline and if so under what sort of parameters/protocols.

Thank you.

There were times (the Vineyard Movement comes to mind) when Calvary Chapel founder Pastor Chuck asked them to stop affiliating themselves with Calvary Chapels. I do not recall if there was another with the Laughing in the Spirit movement (Toronto Blessing) or if that was a Vineyard splinter group.

But by and large, Calvary Chapels was founded on everyone needs Jesus. The types most Churches are unwilling to have in their congregations, Pastor Chuck permitted and in many cases targeted for evangelism and discipleship.

I was told it was not him, but I believe it was. Horizon Christian Fellowship founder Pastor Mike Macintosh spoke of how drugs etc. cost him his career, his marriage, and even his mind. Then he came to Calvary Chapel and his mind was miraculously restored, he remarried his ex-wife, and went into full time ministry. If it wasn't him... a man with the exact same circumstances came into the middle of a Sunday service. He was homeless, his mind was shot from drugs, he reeked of living on the streets... tattered clothes...

He came into the sanctuary and sat down in the middle of the main aisle as Pastor Chuck kept preaching about the love of Jesus. Immediately an usher (well trained for just such a disruption) came over to the man and sat down on the floor with him the rest of the sermon which Pastor Chuck preached without missing a beat.

That was Calvary Chapel.

I think Chuck Swindoll (familiar radio Bible teacher Insight For Living and Pastor in Fullerton California
for years before retiring to Texas where he went back into the ministry near Dallas) said it best...
"I'm just a beggar showing other beggars where I've found bread."

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting. I know about CC's adherence to a Moses model approach to leadership, but I had also heard that there's a system in place so that pastors couldn't stray from biblical teaching. Haven't looked into the ins and outs of the rules, though.

I've been listening to sermons from a localish (too far for me to attend, but only a state away) CC and I find the teaching inspiring. The stuff's true to the Word and unafraid to broach sensitive issues.

I know I mentioned this in my original post, but I've been a part of churches that use discipline of members as if it's an addiction and I've been a part of others that are curiously close to anything-goes. I like the idea of a church that wisely and prayerfully discerns when to correct others without being in a rush to cast them out.

The late founder of the Calvary Chapel, Rev. Chuck Smith, wrote a very good book on his church called Calvary Chapel Distinctives, which I downloaded, and which is an excellent summary of his denomination, one of the three best I have seen (the others being The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, and the Welcome to the Episcopal Church series of books, these books and that of Chuck Smith all do an excellent job explaining the distinctive doctrines and practices of their respective denominations).

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0