Excommunicated Maryknoll priest Roy Bourgeois dismissed, laicized by Vatican...

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,583,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vatican City, Nov 19, 2012 / 03:52 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Vatican canonically dismissed Roy Bourgeois from the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers on Oct. 4, for disobedience and preaching against Church teaching on women's ordination.

The decision, made by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, dispenses him from both the bonds of priesthood and religious life.

On Aug. 8, 2008, Bourgeois preached a homily at the simulated ordination of a woman to the Catholic priesthood. His participation in the simulated Mass led him to be automatically excommunicated.
Continued- Excommunicated Maryknoll priest Roy Bourgeois dismissed, laicized by Vatican...

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,583,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like the same kind of disobedience that got the LCWR nuns in hot water--they just didn't take it as far.

Yeah. Pretty much. The talks with the LCWR have resumed just recently I believe. I'll be interested in seeing how that all unfolds.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I respect that Bourgeois took time to attempt to form and inform his conscience. It is unfortunate that this is the result, which is just going to lead to further schism and "othering" by many.
Thiis laicization was a long time in coming, but will probably not stop him from "celebrating" Mass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums