W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's Gnostic. If you can find God within who needs an Incarnation of God? Also how do you distinguish the voice of the Holy Spirit from the evil spirit or your own spirit? Authority cannot emerge out of that without miraculous signs. That's why Jesus had to do them.

God can be heard in the scriptures but it must be received unambiguously if you plan to receive universal truth. The Holy Spirit reveals personal truth's to individual persons. He reveals universal truth to universal realities. Jesus established a universal institution so that universl truth's could be received. That's why Scripture isn't for an individual interpreter but for the Church to enterpret. That's what councils are all about.

Where is that authority? Authority that comes from God is like God, He came, He is here, and He will come again. So what Church is teaching the Gospel without error? Where is the Church that God promised to be with and guide it to 'all truth' until He returns. I know that Church would be seen as arrogant today. How dare they say the truth belongs to them? Perhaps only the Bride would have such security with the Groom.

That's the problem though. Without authority from above, placed into human hands, Scriptures are relative truth.

One sword can't sharpen it's self, it just gets blunt with use. Two swords will sharpen each other. Sacred Tradition confirmed the canon not the other way around. They work together like two legs that keep marching on. That someone thinks they can march one legged a thousand years later doesn't mean that one leg is better. That will prove it'self and is, in fact, self evident. Your faith is handed down to you by a tradition, and there IS a Sacred Tradition on earth. Is it still on the earth or did it corrupt and die like a creature? Like a work of man. If you really believe that, how can a Holy Tradition emerge out of corruption?

Luke 22

7 For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, ‘And he was counted among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled.” 38 They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” He replied, “It is enough.”

Apparently He had a lesson there. Two swords in the context He was speaking would hardly be enough. Also, who He was forewarning is important. He was prophesying suffering the entire Church would experience, it follows that "two swords is enough" had a deeper meaning. He would have said that's too much if one were enough. Or He might say, you'll need many more swords than that to defend all of you. But He said, two swords is enough.
The gospel is easy. You make it hard.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Universities and colleges in every state and county. Hospitals. Ever wonder why so many have Saints names? Public Schools the work of the first American Saint, Elizabeth Anne Seton. The quality of life skyrocketed in western societies ( formerly known as Christianity) because of these institutions. These are Christ's gifts to all peoples through the Catholic church. Are there any other institutions that have benefited human society to that degree? Even if there were, you should be thanking that institution not throwing stones at it. Notice too, as that institution is rejected by the society it improved, the morals of that society are rejected as well. Seeing those signs may require a panoramic view, but that doesn't degrade their value as signs of authentic Gospel teaching.
those are not signs of an apostle. They are works. there is a difference.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont think there is any risk in following the Lords commands. How can you go wrong with Love?
Tell that to families who lost 'loved' ones who drank the kool aid following the Lord's commands. How about the followers of David Koresh. He claimed to teach love and to be the Lord for that matter. Just teaching the Word of God from scriptures alone.Something seriously went wrong with love for them. no risk at all.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tell that to families who lost 'loved' ones who drank the kool aid following the Lord's commands. How about the followers of David Koresh. He claimed to teach love and to be the Lord for that matter. Just teaching the Word of God from scriptures alone.Something seriously went wrong with love for them. no risk at all.
Those people followed a false prophet. I dont follow prophets, or so called apostles either. I follow the Lord.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll answer with a question. How do you know you are not twisting scripture? Do you claim to be posting inerrant interpretation of scripture? We all project bias if we are our own authority on the meaning of scriptures. Google 'Confirmation bias'

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll answer with a question. How do you know you are not twisting scripture? Do you claim to be posting inerrant interpretation of scripture? We all project bias if we are our own authority on the meaning of scriptures. Google 'Confirmation bias'
What am i twisting?

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those people followed a false prophet. I dont follow prophets, or so called apostles either. I follow the Lord.
That isn't what you said.

I dont think there is any risk in following the Lords commands. How can you go wrong with Love?
You didn't qualify the statement with I don't think that there is a risk for me"

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That isn't what you said.

You didn't qualify the statement with I don't think that there is a risk for me"
There isnt a risk for me, and there isnt one for billions of people who follow scripture. You think following catholicism is the answer? How many people have been lead astray by that denomination? For example, purgatory and selling indulgences. As if you could buy your way out of purgatory, which by the way doesn't exist anyway.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What am i twisting?
If you are asking me, almost every meaning you give scripture is based on a false premise. So you are twisting almost every scripture you post in my view. Just like I seem to twist scripture in your view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are asking me, almost every meaning you give scripture is based on a false premise. So you are twisting almost every scripture you post in my view. Just like I seem to twist scripture in your view.
Ok then. So im wrong about everything? lol

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There isnt a risk for me, and there isnt one for billions of people who follow scripture. You think following catholicism is the answer? How many people have been lead astray by that denomination? For example, purgatory and sin offerings. As if you could buy your way out of purgatory, which by the way doesn't exist anyway.
A risk unseen is still a risk. Of course I think that the Church Christ established through the Apostles is still a visible concrete (rock)reality on earth. I believe that God's Word accomplishes it's end. What God begins doesn't corrupt and die. It began as a visible concrete reality that people could point to and say " those are the People that God gave Himself to and walked among as a man named Jesus. They would always be something that people can point to. It's just that now it's not politically correct to claim to be the Church that God gave Himself to and still is. But unless you believe that something God started can corrupt and fade away, no longer be a visible concrete reality on earth, as it was in the beginning, one must admit it exists somewhere on earth. When it is found one must enter it. But I don't believe that something Jesus started is going to corrupt and die like works of man. You do believe that, so the people who claim to 'actually' be the People of God, just sound arrogant. To me that's how the true Church, if it is from God, would behave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Comparing non catholics to Jim Jones is like saying all catholic priests are pedophiles. Its untrue and unfair
There is my first example of a twist. I was arguing a risk inherent in teaching personal interpretation of scriptures. You said I was comparing all non-catholics to Jim Jones. That's your confirmation bias.

To be fair I see my own unconscious need to confirm being right rather than admit to being wrong. I bolded the bias. You used the word 'all' that way too. The top copy is bias the two below aren't.

Comparing non catholics to Jim Jones is like saying all catholic priests are pedophiles. Its untrue and unfair

Comparing non catholics to Jim Jones is like saying catholic priests are pedophiles. Its untrue and unfair

Comparing all non catholics to Jim Jones is like saying all catholic priests are pedophiles. Its untrue and unfair

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A risk unseen is still a risk. Of course I think that the Church Christ established through the Apostles is still a visible concrete (rock)reality on earth. I believe that God's Word accomplishes it's end. What God begins doesn't corrupt and die. It began as a visible concrete reality that people could point to and say " those are the People that God who walked among as a man named Jesus. They would always be something that people can point to. It's just that now it's not politically correct to claim to be the Church that God gave Himself to and still is. But if unless you believe that something God started can corrupt and fade away, no longer a visible concrete reality on earth as it was in the beginning, one must admit it exists somewhere on earth. When it is found one must enter it. But I don't believe that something Jesus started is going to corrupt and die like works of man. You do believe that so the people who claim to 'actually' be the People of God, why it just sounds arrogant. To me that's how the true Church should behave.
I grew tired of wrangling over which denomination is supposedly the "true" church. So i walk in liberty from it. Im free from all that. I follow the Lord. Amen.

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is my first example of a twist. I was arguing a risk inherent in personal interpretation of scriptures. You said I was comparing all non-catholics to Jim Jones. That's your confirmation bias.
Where is the risk in a child getting raped by a catholic priest?

Upvote 0