• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Exam Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Last Christmas I took an overdose because I could not cope with the stress of my university exams. I was allowed to resit them in the summer, but anxiety took over again and I couldn't sit them. So I was allowed to repeat the semester. Now I'm back in the exam period and feeling anxious yet again.

I feel ok, then suddenly I'm flooded with anxiety, and I start crying uncontrollably. I feel like I can't cope with this any longer. Does anyone have any advice?

E

Everlasting33

Last Christmas I took an overdose because I could not cope with the stress of my university exams. I was allowed to resit them in the summer, but anxiety took over again and I couldn't sit them. So I was allowed to repeat the semester. Now I'm back in the exam period and feeling anxious yet again.

I feel ok, then suddenly I'm flooded with anxiety, and I start crying uncontrollably. I feel like I can't cope with this any longer. Does anyone have any advice?

I certainly understand where you are coming from! I have struggled with test anxiety since I was little and especially when I am taking a math course! Anxiety is definitely a very uncomfortable emotion and it makes you feel so helpless and powerless! You must have felt very overwhelmed and frightened...and maybe even angry at yourself that you felt so anxious!

Perhaps it may be useful to ask yourself what cognitive thoughts are driving this irrational fear of test taking?

Sure, noone really enjoys taking a test and especially in a subject that they struggle with. But, to use myself as an example, I became anxious taking tests because I did not feel smart enough to remember and understand the material. I procrastinated in studying and I never truly learned the material so I felt anxious about the test.

Therefore, I thought of myself as incompentent to learn the material and thus I sabatoged my efforts of learning by putting the material off and then I became anxious around test time because I wasn't confident with my knowledge of the subject (simply called "self-fulfilling prophesy). The underlying issue was not the test but rather the fact I thought of myself as stupid and incompentent.

Perhaps this does not apply for you but I wanted you to see why test anxiety can occur.

I would encourage you to ask yourself why are you really anxious to take these tests? What is motivating your fears and anxieties? Getting to the root of this may not solve it but it could certainly open up the doors for progress.

I have simply learned to study more and to use my skills in order to feel more knowledgable with the subject. Although I still struggle with my self-esteem, it has become easier as I challenge my cognitive distortions.

Of course, deep breathing and meditation before test taking can always be beneficial!

The best of luck to you and I truly hope you find peace!:wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.