Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those of us who treat Daniel’s 70th week as consecutive (ie. not separated from the 69 preceding weeks), are sometimes asked, “well, when was it?” Here is the short answer:

first day of seventieth week – 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27

last day of seventieth week – 29th Adar (8th March) AD 34

Here are the dates in diagrammatic form, showing key chronological markers. I’ll get back soon to expand on this. We can discuss the significance of the last half of the ‘week’ too if you like.

cornelius.svg

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are several matters that we need to consider when searching for the start of the 70th week. The most important barely gets a mention on end-time forums, that Daniels ‘weeks’ were actually the Sabbath years. There was not a separate count of seven; it was one and the same as the Shemitah which had been counting (though not always observed) since Moses. (Lev. 25:1-7)

The next matter is a technical problem that throws the count out sometimes. Modern Jewish calendars call the New Year ‘Rosh Hashanah’ and start their years in Tishri. (Sept) It was not always so because Moses explicitly said New Year was Nisan. (Exodus 12:2,17) So, when you see the vertical lines in the timeline, they mark Nisan (March) – not Tishri.

Unfortunately, the Hebrew calendar was tampered with during the Inter-testament years.

What does Ezra say?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Those of us who treat Daniel’s 70th week as consecutive (ie. not separated from the 69 preceding weeks), are sometimes asked, “well, when was it?” Here is the short answer:

first day of seventieth week – 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27

last day of seventieth week – 29th Adar (8th March) AD 34

Here are the dates in diagrammatic form, showing key chronological markers. I’ll get back soon to expand on this. We can discuss the significance of the last half of the ‘week’ too if you like.

View attachment 243205

I guess the first obvious questions would be on what biblical basis would you equate the event in Luke 4 as the start of the 7th week, and how you would even know it took place 3 1/2 years prior to the crucifixion? This assumes His ministry was of such a length.

Also, how do you make it a seven year period, when Jesus states in Luke 4 the time He was proclaiming was a singular period of a year? And when would you see the remaining portion of Isaiah 61 fulfilled?

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you aware that Luke 4 occurred in the spring?

OK, let’s talk about the first day of the 70th week. I’ve explained how the biblical Sabbath years started on the 1st Nisan – not Tishri as it was changed during the inter-testament period. So, in Jesus time New Year would have been considered ‘Rosh Hashanah’, but in Daniel and Ezra’s time it was Nisan.

Now look at the date of Artaxerxes decree, when Ezra began to prepare for his trip. “For on the first day of the first month (Nisan) he began to go up from Babylonia.” (Ezra 7:9) In other words, Daniel’s seventy weeks began on the very first day of the calendar year. It was also the very first day of a Sabbatical cycle.

Since this is so, we must count the ‘weeks’ from the 1st of Nisan on Artaxerxes decree, and we arrive on the first day of the seventieth week. That day was, 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27 (Yes, it was also the very first day of a Sabbatical cycle. The previous year AD 26 had been a Sabbath.)

Even more interesting is what John and Luke say about it. (coming up)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Are you aware that Luke 4 occurred in the spring?

OK, let’s talk about the first day of the 70th week. I’ve explained how the biblical Sabbath years started on the 1st Nisan – not Tishri as it was changed during the inter-testament period. So, in Jesus time New Year would have been considered ‘Rosh Hashanah’, but in Daniel and Ezra’s time it was Nisan.

Now look at the date of Artaxerxes decree, when Ezra began to prepare for his trip. “For on the first day of the first month (Nisan) he began to go up from Babylonia.” (Ezra 7:9) In other words, Daniel’s seventy weeks began on the very first day of the calendar year. It was also the very first day of a Sabbatical cycle.

Since this is so, we must count the ‘weeks’ from the 1st of Nisan on Artaxerxes decree, and we arrive on the first day of the seventieth week. That day was, 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27 (Yes, it was also the very first day of a Sabbatical cycle. The previous year AD 26 had been a Sabbath.)

Even more interesting is what John and Luke say about it. (coming up)

Luke 4 being in the spring doesn't automatically make it a particular day in relation to the decree of Artaxerxes in any way. You're date assumes the Luke 4 passage starts the last 7 years, but it's just an assumption, just as it's an assumption the ministry of Jesus lasted 3 1/2 years. You have to assume these things to make this theory appear to fit.

I'm asking how you know they are facts rather than assumptions. It seems like an imposition of the 7 years upon the text and the timing of the events placed around that assumption rather than the text speaking for itself. And I'm also asking how you get 7 years out of the words of Jesus in Luke 4 when the time frame He references is only a singular year in duration.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll leave the length of Jesus' ministry for another topic if you don't mind. However, in the next few posts I'll pin the start-date of the 70th week with precision, and go through the scriptures about it. Some posters will be interested, and hopefully you will too.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I'll leave the length of Jesus' ministry for another topic if you don't mind. However, in the next few posts I'll pin the start-date of the 70th week with precision, and go through the scriptures about it. Some posters will be interested, and hopefully you will too.

I do kind of mind, as the duration is an essential foundation of the claim.

Will you be planning to also address how you are deriving 7 years out of Luke 4 when Jesus references a time frame of a singular year?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It's already a problem of timing if, as you stated, Luke 4 took place in the spring, as the start of the 70th week. Daniel 9:27 states the action of the 70th week takes place in the middle of the week, using a word that means middle, half, or halfway, placing such events in the fall in the year the time frame assumes the crucifixion occurs. Even your own diagram doesn't place the death and resurrection of Jesus at the middle of the 70th week. So the theory is already disjointed from the start, even if a 3-year ministry is assumed.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what does St. John have to offer the discussion concerning Daniel’s 70th week? More than realized, I would suggest. His timelines surrounding Jesus ministry have appeared to conflict with the synoptic gospels, but actually they tie in like a jigsaw. Take for example Jesus’ baptism: Matthew, Mark, and Luke have it late in AD 26 after which he spent time in the wilderness. St. John has it shortly before Passover early AD 27 (John 2:13) On that occasion John the Baptist called out over Jesus, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29)

Why the different details? Answer. John’s account was when Jesus returned from his wilderness experience, passing by the site of his baptism several months earlier.

What did J the B. mean by his announcement? Answer. He was quoting Daniel’s “Seventy weeks are determined … to make an end of sins!” (Dan. 9:24)

When did J the B. make this awesome proclamation? Answer. The first day of seventieth week! 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27​

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,592.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The thing about a seven year period occurring in the first century, thought by some to be the fulfilment of the last 'week of Daniel', is that this does not preclude another 7 year period before Jesus Returns.
In fact , such a period, divided into 2 halves, is plainly prophesied for the last days, in Daniel and Revelation.
Therefore the study of dates and events around the first Advent of Jesus, is a wasted exercise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thing about a seven year period occurring in the first century, thought by some to be the fulfilment of the last 'week of Daniel', is that this does not preclude another 7 year period before Jesus Returns.
In fact , such a period, divided into 2 halves, is plainly prophesied for the last days, in Daniel and Revelation.
Therefore the study of dates and events around the first Advent of Jesus, is a wasted exercise.

The only wasted exercise is one which excludes the study of fulfilled dates and events around the first Advent of Jesus.

It and all such others are wasted exercises in futurized fantasy.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you also think the study of the fulfillment of the New Covenant promised to Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled word-for-word by Christ during the first century in Hebrews 8:6-13, and Hebrews 10:16-18, and specifically applied to the Church in Hebrews 12:22-24, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-8, would also be a big waste of time?

Did Christ fulfill any of Daniel 9:24 during the first century?
Did He fulfill a covenant in His Blood? (Matthew 26:28)
Was He the final sacrifice for sin? (Hebrews 10:16-18)
Was He anointed at His baptism? (Acts of the Apostles 10:38)

1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

• Winner
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I accept that there are mentions of 3½ years in the Revelation. But you will be hard pressed to stitch two of them together to make them relate to Daniel chapter 9. Its a more worthy pursuit by far, to search the truths of the New Covenant, as they fulfilled the Messianic prophecies, surely.

I gave an example on post #9. John the Baptist exclaimed, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). He was quoting Daniel’s “Seventy weeks are determined … to make an end of sins!” (Daniel 9:24) St. Paul also references the Seventieth week. Are you sure its a wasted exercise studying the first event?

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,592.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I accept that there are mentions of 3½ years in the Revelation. But you will be hard pressed to stitch two of them together to make them relate to Daniel chapter 9
These 'week' periods are divided into 7-62-1.
The first 69 were completed at the death of Jesus, 483 years from the decree of Artaxerxes to then.
The final seven years will happen at the end of this Christian era.

Daniel 9:27 clearly divides the 70th week into 2, 3 1/2 year periods.
Daniel 7:25 and Daniel 12:7 describe one of those halves: when the holy people of God will be in the power of the 'beast'.
Revelation describes that same half several times; Revelation 13:5-7, the 'beast' conquers God's holy people for 42 months and again in Revelation 11:2.
In that same period, the faithful Christians will be taken to a place of safety on earth. Revelation 12:14

The final seven years will commence with a treaty of peace signed between the 'beast'- who will be the leader of the One World Govt and the leaders of God's holy people; all the Christians by then, living in all of the holy Land. They will have just recently experienced the dramatic defeat of a huge attacking army from the North, led by a man known as Gog.
The first half of that treaty will be peaceful and is therefor not mentioned. But at the mid point of it, the 'beast' will come to Jerusalem in force and conquer the holy people. Zechariah 14:1-2
He will sit in the Temple and declare himself to be God. 2 Thessalonians 2:4 This triggers the Great Tribulation of the Seven Trumpets and Seven Bowls, culminating in the Battle of Armageddon and the Return of Jesus for His Millennium reign.

The 70th 'week' of Daniel WILL take place in the last 7 years of this Christian era.
No doubt about it! And there is no need to be concerned, as we faithful Christians do have God's promises for His protection thru it all. Psalms 91, Isaiah 43:2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but you cannot say which reference in Revelation refers to the first 3 1/2 years and which refers to the second 3 1/2 years. You say one is not mentioned. Unless you can find both, it can’t be claimed that a 7-year period is mentioned in the book of Revelation.

Also, it must be remembered that the book of Daniel is a series of different visions. So, I think that the 3 1/2 years mentioned in Revelation should be connected to Daniel 7:25. You have it connected to chapter 9, but Daniel nine has it’s fulfilment at the first coming up Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,592.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but you cannot say which reference in Revelation refers to the first 3 1/2 years and which refers to the second 3 1/2 years. You say one is not mentioned. Unless you can find both, it can’t be claimed that a 7-year period is mentioned in the book of Revelation.

Also, it must be remembered that the book of Daniel is a series of different visions. So, I think that the 3 1/2 years mentioned in Revelation should be connected to Daniel 7:25. You have it connected to chapter 9, but Daniel nine has it’s fulfilment at the first coming up Christ.
I did connect Daniel 7:25 to the time the holy people are conquered.
Your belief of Daniel 9:25-26 being fulfilled, is right, but verse 27 awaits fulfilment.
If you think it was, then what treaty was made? The sacrifices and offerings continued until 70AD.

In that same period, the faithful Christians will be taken to a place of safety on earth. Revelation 12:14
This confirms that the take over of God's holy Christian people, living in the holy Land, happens in the second half of the final 7 years.
Obviously the first 3 1/2 years will be peaceful, as the treaty holds.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your belief of Daniel 9:25-26 being fulfilled, is right, but verse 27 awaits fulfilment.
If you think it was, then what treaty was made? The sacrifices and offerings continued until 70AD.

The word "treaty" is not found in the text.

Since you are a New Covenant denier, no matter what Matthew 26:28, and Hebrews 8:6-13, and Hebrews 12:22-24, and 1 John 2:27 say, you will never get it right until you can swallow your pride and admit that Christ fulfilled the New Covenant promised to Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 31:31-34.

Can you explain why God ripped the temple veil in half on the day that His Son was the final sacrifice for sin at Calvary? (Hebrews 10:16-18)

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,592.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The word "treaty" is not found in the text.
It is in the REB. Other Bibles may translate; 'brith' as covenant, but it is an agreement between two human parties, not a Covenant with God. Proved by Isaiah 28:14-15, where this treaty is described as contrary to God's will.
'brith'- Strongs 1285; a compact, in the sense of cutting [a deal] A covenant or league.

I object to your false accusations; I do believe in the New Covenant, but it is not fully implemented yet.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is in the REB. Other Bibles may translate; 'brith' as covenant, but it is an agreement between two human parties, not a Covenant with God. Proved by Isaiah 28:14-15, where this treaty is described as contrary to God's will.
'brith'- Strongs 1285; a compact, in the sense of cutting [a deal] A covenant or league.

I object to your false accusations; I do believe in the New Covenant, but it is not fully implemented yet.

Mat 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Joh 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

Heb 10:16 "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR HEARTS, AND IN THEIR MINDS I WILL WRITE THEM,"
Heb 10:17 then He adds, "THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."
Heb 10:18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

Heb 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb 12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Other Bibles may translate; 'brith' as covenant, but it is an agreement between two human parties, not a Covenant with God.

Partial list of OT instances of "berith":

Genesis 15:18
HEB: אֶת־ אַבְרָ֖ם בְּרִ֣ית לֵאמֹ֑ר לְזַרְעֲךָ֗
NAS: made a covenant with Abram,
KJV: made a covenant with Abram,
INT: with Abram A covenant saying to your descendants

A covenant with God.

Exodus 34:10
HEB: אָנֹכִי֮ כֹּרֵ֣ת בְּרִית֒ נֶ֤גֶד כָּֽל־
NAS: I am going to make a covenant. Before
KJV: Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people
INT: I to make A covenant Before all

A covenant with God.

Leviticus 24:8
HEB: בְּנֵֽי־ יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל בְּרִ֥ית עוֹלָֽם׃
NAS: it is an everlasting covenant for the sons
KJV: of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
INT: the sons of Israel covenant is an everlasting

A covenant with God.

Numbers 18:19
HEB: לְחָק־ עוֹלָ֑ם בְּרִית֩ מֶ֨לַח עוֹלָ֥ם
NAS: It is an everlasting covenant of salt
KJV: for ever: it [is] a covenant of salt
INT: allotment A perpetual covenant of salt is an everlasting

A covenant with God.

Deuteronomy 4:23
HEB: תִּשְׁכְּחוּ֙ אֶת־ בְּרִ֤ית יְהוָה֙ אֱלֹ֣הֵיכֶ֔ם
NAS: yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the LORD
KJV: unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD
INT: not forget the covenant of the LORD your God

A covenant with God.

Joshua 23:16
HEB: בְּ֠עָבְרְכֶם אֶת־ בְּרִ֨ית יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵיכֶם֮
NAS: When you transgress the covenant of the LORD
KJV: When ye have transgressed the covenant of the LORD
INT: transgress the covenant of the LORD your God

A covenant with God.

Daniel 9:27
HEB: וְהִגְבִּ֥יר בְּרִ֛ית לָרַבִּ֖ים שָׁב֣וּעַ
NAS: And he will make a firm covenant with the many
KJV: And he shall confirm the covenant with many
INT: will make covenant the many week

A covenant with Messiah.

A clear majority of OT instances of "berith" refer to a covenant between God and man.

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0