Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ex-NFL player Edawn Coughman is accused of staging a hate crime - CNN

Here we go again....

A former NFL player is facing criminal charges after he allegedly destroyed his business near Atlanta to make it look like a hate crime burglary, police said.

Edawn Louis Coughman, 31, was arrested Thursday and charged with false report of a crime, insurance fraud and concealing a license plate, police said in a statement.

Seems pretty open and shut....likely done for insurance money.

The number of fakes though seems to be high. One would assume that much like actual hate crimes...for every one of these fakes we see, many more are never discovered.

I tend to think it's because of a common sentiment these days. An idea that if you aren't part of the solution....you're at least enabling the problem. I won't go into a lengthy explanation of why that's false...but I will say there's nothing wrong with skepticism. There's nothing lazy about it...and it doesn't hurt anyone.

• Informative
Reactions: bèlla

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ex-NFL player Edawn Coughman is accused of staging a hate crime - CNN

Here we go again....

Seems pretty open and shut....likely done for insurance money.

The number of fakes though seems to be high. One would assume that much like actual hate crimes...for every one of these fakes we see, many more are never discovered.

I tend to think it's because of a common sentiment these days. An idea that if you aren't part of the solution....you're at least enabling the problem. I won't go into a lengthy explanation of why that's false...but I will say there's nothing wrong with skepticism. There's nothing lazy about it...and it doesn't hurt anyone.
Unfortunately, it's real hate crimes that make fake hate crimes possible ...

When Hate Came To El Paso

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the NFL minimum salary for a rookie is $495,000 I often wonder how pro athletes can get so much sympathy when things “go wrong” for them but looking at Edawn Louis Coughman’s history, well, something is wrong with the guy.

Seattle Seahawks 2 months

Dallas Cowboys 3 months

Buffalo Bills' practice squad 8 months

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 days

Washington Redskins practice squad 5 months

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 months

Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad 3 days

Houston Texans' practice squad 20 days

Arizona Cardinals 5 months

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, it's real hate crimes that make fake hate crimes possible .

I'm not sure what you're saying here....but I don't think you're trying to say that people couldn't stage a fake hate crime if there were no real hate crimes.

Right?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the NFL minimum salary for a rookie is $495,000 I often wonder how pro athletes can get so much sympathy when things “go wrong” for them but looking at Edawn Louis Coughman’s history, well, something is wrong with the guy.

Seattle Seahawks 2 months

Dallas Cowboys 3 months

Buffalo Bills' practice squad 8 months

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 days

Washington Redskins practice squad 5 months

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 months

Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad 3 days

Houston Texans' practice squad 20 days

Arizona Cardinals 5 months

A short career with that many trades makes me think he was badly overrated or injured.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
A short career with that many trades makes me think he was badly overrated or injured.

I am thinking more along a behavioral or personality issue, injuries would be known by the other teams but the teams wanting to get rid of him would keep mum about other issues.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you're saying here....but I don't think you're trying to say that people couldn't stage a fake hate crime if there were no real hate crimes.

Right?
We never saw faked hate crimes ... until we had experienced real hate crimes ...

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Or he just wasn’t a good enough player for the NFL. According to Wikipedia, those team assignments were all during the off season.

• Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking more along a behavioral or personality issue, injuries would be known by the other teams but the teams wanting to get rid of him would keep mum about other issues.

That's certainly a possibility, and I can see why one might think that....but I personally don't like to speculate about mental health issues without any evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We never saw faked hate crimes ... until we had experienced real hate crimes ...

Even if that were true...

That doesn't make one necessary for the other, nor does it make one the consequence of the other.

So again, I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make.

Upvote 0