Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear brothers and sisters,

I come to you with a sincere question. Papal infalibility was first pronounced as a dogma in the Vatican Council I, right?

So I'd like to know what are the criteria used to determine which statements made by the antecessors of Pius IX can be considered "ex-cathedra" (and thus, infalible).

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Rick of Wessex said:
Papal infalibility was first pronounced as a dogma in the Vatican Council I, right?
Yes, first pronounced dogma. Of course that didn't mean that was was non-existent before then.

So I'd like to know what are the criteria used to determine which statements made by the antecessors of Pius IX can be considered "ex-cathedra" (and thus, infalible).
The traditional definition is that the only statements that are made infallibly are those on faith and morals. From the old Baltimore Catechism:

Q. 526. What do you mean by the infallibility of the Church?
A. By the infallibility of the Church I mean that the Church can not err when it teaches a doctrine of faith or morals.

Q. 527. What do we mean by a "doctrine of faith or morals"?
A. By a doctrine of faith or morals we mean the revealed teaching that refers to whatever we must believe and do in order to be saved.

Q. 530. When does the Church teach infallibly?
A. The Church teaches infallibly when it speaks through the Pope and Bishops united in general council, or through the Pope alone when he proclaims to all the faithful a doctrine of faith or morals.

Q. 531. What is necessary that the Pope may speak infallibly or ex-cathedra?
A. That the Pope may speak infallibly, or ex-cathedra:
1. He must speak on a subject of faith or morals;
2. He must speak as the Vicar of Christ and to the whole Church;
3. He must indicate by certain words, such as, we define, we proclaim, etc., that he intends to speak infallibly.

From the CCC: 891 "The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals. The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with Peter's successor, they exercise the supreme Magisterium," above all in an Ecumenical Council. When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine "for belief as being divinely revealed," and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions "must be adhered to with the obedience of faith." This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.

Other Links:
Infallibility
Ex cathedra

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.