EWTN News RealClear Opinion Research Poll Finds Catholics and Their Priorities Deeply Affected by...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...pandemic

In this Aug. 27-Sept 1 survey, Catholics weigh in about of the impact of the coronavirus, drawing closer to God in the pandemic, attacks on churches, abortion and more.

WASHINGTON — With the U.S. presidential election now only weeks away, the latest EWTN News/RealClear Opinion Research poll on Catholic priorities in the 2020 election finds that Catholics who are likely voters say they have been profoundly impacted by the pandemic and that the issues of greatest concern are the economy and jobs, health care and coronavirus.

The vast majority of Catholic likely voters are also concerned about recent anti-religious actions and violence, including church desecrations and Bible burnings. The poll, which is the third of four surveys conducted since November 2019, revealed that most Catholics have been distressed at being unable to attend Mass during the pandemic, with most also saying that it is now safe to return to church.

In terms of the presidential election, the poll — taken from Aug. 27 to Sept. 1 and completed before the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg — found that Catholic likely voters overall prefer former Vice President Joe Biden to President Donald Trump. Biden has led Trump among overall Catholic voters in each of the previous EWTN News/RealClear polls. Trump also continues to enjoy majority support from Catholics in certain subgroups, such as those who set aside time to pray each day or attend Mass more than once a week.

“The most observant Roman Catholics still tend to support Donald Trump and the Republican Party, as do large majorities of white evangelical Protestants — and are among the most highly motivated voters,” said RealClearPolitics Washington bureau chief Carl M. Cannon. “But the question for the GOP is whether there are enough of these voters to make up the difference.”

Continued below.
EWTN News RealClear Opinion Research Poll Finds Catholics and Their Priorities Deeply Affected by Pandemic

• Informative
Reactions: pdudgeon

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
... found that Catholic likely voters overall prefer former Vice President Joe Biden to President Donald Trump. Biden has led Trump among overall Catholic voters in each of the previous EWTN News/RealClear polls. Trump also continues to enjoy majority support from Catholics in certain subgroups, such as those who set aside time to pray each day or attend Mass more than once a week.
Catholics who don't pray favor Biden. Catholics who don't go to mass regularly favor Biden. Catholics who don't pray and don't go to mass are ... Catholics. Go figure. Someone should tell them to update their status.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
That's interesting!
I think it would be a more true poll of niche viewers who watch EWTN, than a poll of Catholic views in general.

But that's just MHO. ^_^ It's still a useful poll.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's interesting!
I think it would be a more true poll of niche viewers who watch EWTN, than a poll of Catholic views in general.

But that's just MHO. ^_^ It's still a useful poll.
It was a poll of 1500 registered voters who said they were Catholic. It was sponsored by EWTN but not from EWTN viewers or listeners.

I am more and more suspicious of polls because more and more people do not want to be polled or do not want to reveal their true opinions. Presidential polls may be among the worst, particularly as more conservative voters do not want to be recorded in a possibly identifiable way as 'on the wrong side of history' when the 'history' hits the fan.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was a poll of 1500 registered voters who said they were Catholic. It was sponsored by EWTN but not from EWTN viewers or listeners.

I am more and more suspicious of polls because more and more people do not want to be polled or do not want to reveal their true opinions. Presidential polls may be among the worst, particularly as more conservative voters do not want to be recorded in a possibly identifiable way as 'on the wrong side of history' when the 'history' hits the fan.
Pollsters contact us all the time. I never give them an opinion.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pollsters contact us all the time. I never give them an opinion.
I don't either. To the extent that so many others don't either, the results are skewed. They are not truly random samples any more if some people refuse to be sampled.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am more and more suspicious of polls because more and more people do not want to be polled or do not want to reveal their true opinions.
This is especially true of conservatives and Trump supporters, because of the bullying "cancel culture" of the Left, which affects every strata of society from the corporate boardroom to the individual employee or business owner. Ironic how bullying was a bad thing just a few years ago. I guess that virtue signalling went out of vogue.

In addition, most polls are still seriously overweighing Democrats, at a time when for the first time in a long time they are outnumbered by Republicans. It almost seems that many of the pollsters have an agenda.

Upvote 0