Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paleontologists Find Evolutionary Link between Ediacaran and Early Cambrian Multicellular Animals | Paleontology | Sci-News.com

I think that most of us who follow these things closely are already aware of a number of ediacaran-cambrian transitional species that have been uncovered in the past decade or so, or are currently in the works of being published as we speak.

But, I saw this article describing another species that I hadn't heard of yet, and figured I'd share:

"Professor Wood and co-authors then examined the soft tissues of the Ediacaran animal and compared them with those in animals that evolved later.

They found that Namacalathus hermanastes was an early ancestor of species that appeared during the Cambrian explosion. Among them are types of prehistoric worms and mollusks.

“These are exceptional fossils, which give us a glimpse into the biological affinity of some of the oldest animals,” Professor Wood said.

“They help us trace the roots of the Cambrian explosion and the origin of modern animal groups.”

“Such preservation opens up many new avenues of research into the history of life which was previously not possible.”"

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I missed that one. Thanks for mentioning it. At one time, it was difficult to see any transitionals between Ediacaran and early Cambrian fauna. Those are now accumulating, confirming another prediction of evolutionary theory.

Upvote 0