Evolution is irrelevant so why is it politically essential?

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I and about half the American public do not accept your definition of what science is. For me science is something empirically supported that can demonstrate what it says. So that rules out macroevolution and abiogenesis since they cannot be demonstrated and are therefore unscientific theories. The phylogenetic arguments used by the atheists in that Meyers Darwin Doubt discussion were an attempt to get round the missing supporting physical evidence for fossil precursors in the socalled Cambrian Explosion. Nobody properly addressed Meyers refutation of the Phylogenetic argument nor of Marshalls critique either. The substance of both these critiques being superior to the ad hominem attacks that characterised the bulk of the atheist argument methods employed in the thread and on Meyer personally following his books publication. But I am far worse than an ID - I am a creationist!!

Scientists don't care about public opinion. That isn't how science works. It wouldn't matter if 99% of people don't accept evolution, it doesn't make it false. If you want to do science you have to provide evidence for your side. You can't just use a faulty understanding of the theory to try to poke holes in it then just demand your view gets equal treatment.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well they are a good example of how evolution has been used to justify genocide I suppose.
No it wasn't. Like I said they used selective breeding. That is not evolution. Besides that doesn't make evolution wrong. I could go through a long list of human rights abuses made by people who said they were doing "God's" will. Just because someone can use a tool to do bad things doesn't automatically make that tool a bad thing.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The one can be demonstrated and the other not. There is no evolution outside a genus but a considerable amount within that.
Yes it can. Just because you don't like the evidence doesn't negate it's existence.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scientists don't care about public opinion. That isn't how science works. It wouldn't matter if 99% of people don't accept evolution, it doesn't make it false. If you want to do science you have to provide evidence for your side. You can't just use a faulty understanding of the theory to try to poke holes in it then just demand your view gets equal treatment.

It is evolution that is forcing itself down childrens throats in the classroom. If macroevolutionary theory is just a set of generalisations based on a uniformitarian principle and observations of microevolution within a genus then it is grossly dishonest to suggest that it is good science. It is a theory that stands or falls on whether uniformitarianism can be applied back the timescales that it has. The simple answer scientifically is that since we can prove none of the claims for it it is a theory to be treated with caution. It should most definitely not be taught to children given the level of uncertainty that surrounds it.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it wasn't. Like I said they used selective breeding. That is not evolution. Besides that doesn't make evolution wrong. I could go through a long list of human rights abuses made by people who said they were doing "God's" will. Just because someone can use a tool to do bad things doesn't automatically make that tool a bad thing.

Well we have had Marxist-Leninism, Stalinism, Maoism and Nazism all appealing to evolutionary theory to justify their actions. Now we have modern liberals happy to murder the unborn and euthanize the old. It is not a good track record for the theory that so many who have subscribed to it have been genocidal maniacs.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is evolution that is forcing itself down childrens throats in the classroom. If macroevolutionary theory is just a set of generalisations based on a uniformitarian principle and observations of microevolution within a genus then it is grossly dishonest to suggest that it is good science. It is a theory that stands or falls on whether uniformitarianism can be applied back the timescales that it has. The simple answer scientifically is that since we can prove none of the claims for it it is a theory to be treated with caution. It should most definitely not be taught to children given the level of uncertainty that surrounds it.
It is as uncertain as gravity. We may not understand every single aspect but we know it's true. We still don't fully understand gravity but we still treat it as a reality, because it is. Again a science teacher's job is to teach the scientific consensus of the day. Right now scientists consider evolution to be a fact so that I what is going to be taught. Until the creationists can present testable evidence they will rightly be ignored when it comes to the scientific community. Science uses evidence to come to a conclusion, creationists and ID want to reverse that and start with a conclusion. That is anathema to the scientific process.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well we have had Marxist-Leninism, Stalinism, Maoism and Nazism all appealing to evolutionary theory to justify their actions. Now we have modern liberals happy to murder the unborn and euthanize the old. It is not a good track record for the theory that so many who have subscribed to it have been genocidal maniacs.
Straw man. Again none of that, regardless of whether I agree or not, is relevant to the truth of the theory.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is all microevolution. Nothing there that requires a commitment to a macro-evolutionary framework except at an irrelevant deep background level.
Evolution is evolution - your distinction is worthless.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The one can be demonstrated and the other not. There is no evolution outside a genus but a considerable amount within that.
What's the difference ? Can you demonstrate that with some degree of certainty?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please show where Marxist-Leninism and where Maoism appealed to evolutionary theory to justify their actions...and which actions precisely in each case you're referring to. This seems like emotional rhetoric without much real basis.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Microevolution is not in question here. However you would not even need an understanding of this to create a flu vaccine. What they do to create a vaccine in practice is get a sample of the virus. Then then inject that into chicken eggs to infect the eggs. Then they kill the virus in the egg with a variety of possible techniques.

1) UV Light
2) Acid
3) Solvent /Detergent
4) Pasteurisation - heat the egg over 60C

Then they extract the dead and broken bits of the virus. Bits which cannot possibly infect a person. They then inject these into the person to be vaccinated. The body then builds its own immune defence against the now harmless virus. So when a live version comes along the body already has a defence in place.

So we could create flu vaccines with no knowledge of evolution.

If we didn't understand that the flu virus evolves from season to season, we would have difficulty predicting which strains were going to cause trouble.

We might be able to create vaccines without knowledge of evolution, but the chances of making the right ones drop significantly.

• Agree
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Evolution is essential to biology. So if a biology is to be taught then teaching evolution is a necessity. But the main job of science teachers are to teach the state of the scientific consensus at the time and evolution is the consensus. Evolution is considered the closest thing you can get to a fact among scientists and it underpins our understanding of a wide range of other fields than just biology.

Since you brought up the Nazi's I have to say that just because a scientific theory can be used to do bad things does not make the theory false. Secondly eugenics is not the same thing as evolution. The Nazi's tried to use a form of artificial selection where they tried to "breed" out what they saw as weak. This concept of selective breeding has been around for a lot longer than the theory of evolution. And the Nazi application was a complete misunderstanding on how evolution works anyway. If they wanted to engineer a "superior" people then they would have encouraged more diversity. The more diverse a population is the better the chance of it's long term survival.

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/medicine_06

https://www.faseb.org/portals/2/PDFs/opa/Why is it important to teach evolution.pdf

It is worth pointing out that the Nazis all used Gravitational theory in developing their U-2 rockets! Let's stop teaching gravity!

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Please show where Marxist-Leninism and where Maoism appealed to evolutionary theory to justify their actions...and which actions precisely in each case you're referring to. This seems like emotional rhetoric without much real basis.

Especially the Soviet side. They actively rejected Darwinism in favor of Lamarckism. The differences are huge.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Especially the Soviet side. They actively rejected Darwinism in favor of Lamarckism. The differences are huge.

The real problem created by the Soviets is that the Soviets treated acceptance of Lamarckism as a political litmus test for advancement across the board. Lamarkism was considered essential to the doctrine that they could evolve the New Soviet Man if they just tried ruthlessly enough.

You didn't get to be a rocket scientist unless you accepted Lamarckism, not because of its scientific superiority but because political doctrine depended on it.

I see that happening on both sides now. It's not a matter of "is it necessary for what I'm doing" the issue is becoming a political litmus test.

• Agree
Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For an evolutionist survival is the ultimate value.

Not necessarily, but it is a value for most people, except perhaps those who see the end times as very very imminent.

For a Creationist the Ultimate value is found in the Creator. As a priest (your signature) you of course agree with the emphasis on God first and a commitment to honest science should not really change that perspective.

Agreed. I find no conflict between faith and science.

Since the source of all biodiversity is in the Creator rather than His creation the Creationist perspective is also the wiser choice.

You've lost me here. Creationism is a perspective on how God created the universe/life. I believe absolutely in God as Creator, but I don't buy the creationist perspective, because I find it to be both incompatible with the evidence of creation, and fairly sloppy treatment of Scripture.

But a Creationist living by what the bible suggests about respect for life is not going to be trampling on the garden so to speak. So I think this is all a rather moot point anyway. Some evolutionists trample on the flowers and rare bugs and some Christians do not. take it case by case.

My original point was that biodiversity - both within species and in terms of the range of species - is something a creationist has no real reason to seek to maximise. Creation is a given, in their view, so the need to preserve genetic diversity within a species (to give it maximum possibility to survive and therefore evolve) doesn't have the same importance.

Your science training should tell you that it is not a proper use of the scientific method to assert macroevolution or abiogenesis as fact when there is no way to demonstrate it scientifically.

At this point, macroevolution is a no-brainer. I do not believe I have ever asserted abiogenesis as fact; I agree that at this point it is speculative.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Name one evolution based technique used in such research that contradicts a Creationist perspective and has produced life beneficial results.

Could you please clarify what your creationist perspective is, since there are significant variations?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is worth pointing out that the Nazis all used Gravitational theory in developing their U-2 rockets! Let's stop teaching gravity!

Yes especially if it allows the Nazis to use their V-2s to bombard London with U-2 music. Cruel and nasty people!!!

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you please clarify what your creationist perspective is, since there are significant variations?

6 day creation, young earth and universe, special creation of Adam and Eve and indeed all life, global flood wiped out old world, most post Ediacaran / Cambrian fossils are of creatures that inhabited the same timeframe.

Abiogenesis and Macroevolution are impossible cause of the timescales and because of complete lack of physical evidence for these processes.

Microevolution within a genus is possible and indeed is observably happening. e.g. dogs and sparrows

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lamarckism is just a heresy off the evolutionary tree. It still subscribes to a reductionist materialistic and naturalistic assumption about evidence. It is not pure Darwinism cause it lacks natural selection for one thing. But really this is like comparing Mainstream Christians and Jehovah witnesses. It is a cult version of Darwinism.

Upvote 0