Evolution is a religion, but Christianity is not?

Which view do you most agree with?

• I am a creationist and I believe evolution is a religion, but Christianity is not.

• I am a creationist and I believe both evolution and Christianity are religions.

• I am a creationist and I believe Christianity is a religion, but evolution is not.

• I am an evolutionist and I believe evolution is a religion, but Christianity is not.

• I am an evolutionist and I believe both evolution and Christianity are religions.

• I am an evolutionist and I believe Christianity is a religion, but evolution is not.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have read many posts from creationists who claim that evolution is a religion. I have also read posts from creationists who claim that Christianity is not a religion. I would like to use a poll to determine what the predominant view on this subject is among the creationists here and compare it to what evolution supporters think. For the intent of this poll, an "evolutionist" is a supporter of common descent, while a "creationist" supports special creation.

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, I believe that evolution CAN BE a religion just as anything you love more than God is your god; be it money, your new car etc. As it stands, evolution is simply a theory of origins that extrapolates observed adaptation (a conservative process) into a hierarchy of increasin complexity. Interestingly, in mathematics repeated subtraction never equals addition, but with evolution it does.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I believe that evolution CAN BE a religion just as anything you love more than God is your god; be it money, your new car etc. As it stands, evolution is simply a theory of origins that extrapolates observed adaptation (a conservative process) into a hierarchy of increasin complexity. Interestingly, in mathematics repeated subtraction never equals addition, but with evolution it does.

So, I assume that you will be voting evolution is not a religion? What about Christianity?

Why do you say that evolution represents a repeated substraction?

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, I assume that you will be voting evolution is not a religion? What about Christianity?
Christianity IS a religion. Evolution CAN BE a religion.
Why do you say that evolution represents a repeated substraction?
Adaptation is a conservative process where traits may be accentuated or extinguished but never created. Evolution is the antithesis of adaptation.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
popcorn.gif

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity IS a religion. Evolution CAN BE a religion.
If evolution is not intrinsically a religion (in the sense that anything CAN become a religion) but Christianity basically IS a religion, then I would suggest that your vote be #3. I suppose if you are not comfortable with that, you can skip voting... but I would like your view counted.

Adaptation is a conservative process where traits may be accentuated or extinguished but never created. Evolution is the antithesis of adaptation.
I can't say I agree with that. The same cells that make scales can make feathers. Legs can be multiplied or decreased by adjusting a regulatory gene. A jaw bone can be altered to improve hearing. A lung can become a swim bladder or visa versa. A gill arch can become a jaw. A brain can go from two neurons (like an insect) to billions (like us).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If evolution is not intrinsically a religion (in the sense that anything CAN become a religion) but Christianity basically IS a religion, then I would suggest that your vote be #3. I suppose if you are not comfortable with that, you can skip voting... but I would like your view counted.

I can't say I agree with that. The same cells that make scales can make feathers. Legs can be multiplied or decreased by adjusting a regulatory gene. A jaw bone can be altered to improve hearing. A lung can become a swim bladder or visa versa. A gill arch can become a jaw. A brain can go from two neurons (like an insect) to millions (like us).

Closer to 100 billion, actually.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have read many posts from creationists who claim that evolution is a religion. I have also read posts from creationists who claim that Christianity is not a religion. I would like to use a poll to determine what the predominant view on this subject is among the creationists here and compare it to what evolution supporters think. For the intent of this poll, an "evolutionist" is a supporter of common descent, while a "creationist" supports special creation.

I am surprised that this is still a problem for you.

There are many faith-based systems. If one of them it taken as the truth, then others are then called religions.

This applies to Christianity, as well as to evolution.

So, get it over with. This is a definition problem, there is not much to talk about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

There are many faith-based systems. If one of them it taken as the truth, then others are then called religions.

So, get it over with. This is a definition problem, there is not much to talk about.
When I was a Christian I had no doubt that Christianity was a religion. I never encountered any minister of the Church suggest it was anything other than a religion and heard many of them clearly assert that it was.

It has all the trappings of religion, both positive and negative.

Evolution is a scientific theory and has very little in common with religions. That said, there are some thoughtless individuals who take the findings on science on faith and thereby act in a thoroughly unscientific manner. They should be roundly condemned.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Since when are other faith based systems called "religion, while the one you believe is not?" So, I am correct when I conclude that many creationists here see the term "religion" as an insult or accusation... yes?

There is in my opinion. Scientific theories are not faith-based, and therefore are not religions according to your own definition. Yet, I read here all the time that creationists think otherwise.

I also noticed that you didn't vote in the poll... why is that?

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Are creationists here afraid to vote in this poll, or something? I read here all the time that "evolution is a religion." Where are you guys now??

I notice that, when there's a poll like this, the creationists don't vote much in it, even though they obviously see it. Don't get why that is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I believe that evolution CAN BE a religion just as anything you love more than God is your god; be it money, your new car etc. As it stands, evolution is simply a theory of origins that extrapolates observed adaptation (a conservative process) into a hierarchy of increasing complexity. Interestingly, in mathematics repeated subtraction never equals addition, but with evolution it does.

There is no scientific support for the increasing complexity concept.
Nothing increases in complexity as a rule.

Christianity also CAN be a religion. Or it can be a simple worldview
that is used in a scientific manner as a framework to explain the world
around us without religious trappings of a formal church or it's leadership.

Upvote 0