Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The Theory of Gravity.
Atomic Theory.
Germ Theory.

These are all theories, as well as facts.

Anyone who says that "evolution is just a theory" doesn't understand what a theory is.

To quote AronRa,

It is a fact that evolution happens; that biodiversity and complexity does increase, that both occur naturally only by evolutionary means.

It is a fact that alleles vary with increasing distinction in reproductive populations and that these are accelerated in genetically isolated groups.

It is a fact that natural selection, sexual selection, and genetic drift have all been proven to have predictable effect in guiding this variance.

It is a fact that significant beneficial mutations do occur and are inherited by descendant groups, and that multiple independent sets of biological markers exist to trace these lineages backwards over many generations.

It is a fact that birds are a subset of dinosaurs the same way humans are a subset of apes, primates, eutherian mammals, and vertebrate deuterostome animals.

It is a fact that the collective genome of all animals has been traced to its most basal form, and that those forms are also indicated by comparative morphology, physiology, and embryological development.

It is a fact that everything on earth has definite relatives either living nearby or evident in the fossil record.

It is a fact that the fossil record holds hundreds of definitely transitional species even according to it’s strictest definition, and that both microevolution and macroevolution have been directly-observed.

Evolution is a fact.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
The Theory of Gravity.
Atomic Theory.
Germ Theory.

These are all theories, as well as facts.

Anyone who says that "evolution is just a theory" doesn't understand what a theory is.

To quote AronRa,

It is a fact that evolution happens; that biodiversity and complexity does increase, that both occur naturally only by evolutionary means.

It is a fact that alleles vary with increasing distinction in reproductive populations and that these are accelerated in genetically isolated groups.

It is a fact that natural selection, sexual selection, and genetic drift have all been proven to have predictable effect in guiding this variance.

It is a fact that significant beneficial mutations do occur and are inherited by descendant groups, and that multiple independent sets of biological markers exist to trace these lineages backwards over many generations.

It is a fact that birds are a subset of dinosaurs the same way humans are a subset of apes, primates, eutherian mammals, and vertebrate deuterostome animals.

It is a fact that the collective genome of all animals has been traced to its most basal form, and that those forms are also indicated by comparative morphology, physiology, and embryological development.

It is a fact that everything on earth has definite relatives either living nearby or evident in the fossil record.

It is a fact that the fossil record holds hundreds of definitely transitional species even according to it’s strictest definition, and that both microevolution and macroevolution have been directly-observed.

Evolution is a fact.

Well said -- unfortunately, there are only two types of people on this board: Those who don't need to hear it and those who don't want to hear it.

Well said, nevertheless.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are of course correct. But there are a number of laymen on this board who don't understand how science works, and think what their pastor declares from the pulpit trumps clearly observable and peer-reviewed scientific research.

Indeed. Not only do they not understand the basis of science they are also equally ignorant of the Bible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Including the angels? Did angels evolve? Do angels die and become implanted in the fossil record?

Upvote 0

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Including the angels? Did angels evolve? Do angels die and become implanted in the fossil record?

Only so far as the Hydra did.

Or Pegasus.

Or the Minotaur.

Or centaurs.

Or mermaids.

Or harpies.

Or wyverns.

Or the cyclops.

Or gorgons.

Or the Kraken.

Or the Balrog.

Or orcs.

Or Shelob.

Or elves.

Or goblins.

Or trolls.

Or lizardmen.

Or ogres.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only so far as the Hydra did.

Or Pegasus.

Or the Minotaur.

Or centaurs.

Or mermaids.

Or harpies.

Or wyverns.

Or the cyclops.

Or gorgons.

Or the Kraken.
Is that what you're taught in higher academia, or did you [seem to] intuitively ascertain that on your own?

Upvote 0

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is that what you're taught in higher academia, or did you [seem to] intuitively ascertain that on your own?

Jealous that you quite clearly failed school, and didn't get into college?

The mysteries of higher education will always remain, for you.

I can tell you, though, that unless you're studying ancient mythology, then you won't learn anything about any of the above in higher education.

However, I was pointing out that they evolved in exactly the same way as angels did. Their ancestors are human creativity, and a fear of the unknown. Nothing more, nothing less. Angels included.

Upvote 0

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Kraken does in fact exist, it's a giant squid. So do angels, but they normally can't be seen.

Giant squid aren't nearly as big as the Kraken was 'sposed to be

What evidence is there to support your conclusion that angels exist?

They're no more real than any of the mythological creatures mentioned above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, I was pointing out that they evolved in exactly the same way as angels did. Their ancestors are human creativity, and a fear of the unknown. Nothing more, nothing less. Angels included.
I know what you were pointing out.

How about pointing out an answer to my question now?

Or are you going to yak it to death first?

Upvote 0

hangback

Nov 3, 2009
✟561.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes evolution is a fact, unless you have the misfortune of being home tutored in quite a few homes in the US, it then becomes the devils invention, the enemy of God and the Bible and the most evil tool of those God denying child eating racists called Atheists.
Warping a childs mind should be made a felony in the US but it would seem even presidents have actively encouraged it, I think it's called 'the American way'.

Reactions: Ayersy
Upvote 0

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know what you were pointing out.

How about pointing out an answer to my question now?

Or are you going to yak it to death first?

It's a moot question.

It's like asking what car Aragorn had.

It's like asking what graphics card Hercules had in his computer.

It's like asking where Romeo kept his lightsaber.

It's an unanswerable, pointless question.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kraken does in fact exist, it's a giant squid. So do angels, but they normally can't be seen.
Science runs on the out-of-sight-out-of-mind principle, unless it hears what it thinks is a faint cry somewhere; then it'll spare no cost to build equipment to find what it was and where it came from.

That's why we have junk roaming around on Mars, junk orbiting planets, junk on its way past Pluto, junk being built to find junk.

The Martians aughta send those rovers back to us with a note saying: The next peeping tom machine you send here is coming back as a paperweight.

Someone leaves a water faucet running on the moon, and the next thing you know, you've got earth scientists going nuts over the mess.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a moot question.

It's like asking what car Aragorn had.

It's like asking what graphics card Hercules had in his computer.

It's like asking where Romeo kept his lightsaber.

It's an unanswerable, pointless question.
I don't think you realize you just insulted yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Science runs on the out-of-sight-out-of-mind principle, unless it hears what it thinks is a faint cry somewhere; then it'll spare no cost to build equipment to find what it was and where it came from.

Again, showing how little of science you understand.

That's why we have junk roaming around on Mars, junk orbiting planets, junk on its way past Pluto, junk being built to find junk.

Multi-billion dollar "junk" that serves a purpose. Exploration. But of course, all the answers you need are in your little bronze age story book. You don't need real answers.

The Martians aughta send those rovers back to us with a note saying: The next peeping tom machine you send here is coming back as a paperweight.

The Martians, if they exist (It's unlikely, but not impossible.), could only be microbial. I'd like to see bacteria launch a probe out of orbit, and to another planet.

Someone leaves a water faucet running on the moon, and the next thing you know, you've got earth scientists going nuts over the mess.

What?

We've found water on the moon... we didn't put it there, there's no plumbing leading up there...

Upvote 0

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think you realize you just insulted yourself.

How so?

By pointing out how stupid the question was?

If you can tell me what car Aragorn drove, or if you can tell me what graphics card Hercules had, or where Romeo kept his lightsaber, then I'll look into telling you if angels evolved, and died, and left behind fossils.

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes evolution is a fact, unless you have the misfortune of being home tutored in quite a few homes in the US, it then becomes the devils invention, the enemy of God and the Bible and the most evil tool of those God denying child eating racists called Atheists.
Warping a childs mind should be made a felony in the US but it would seem even presidents have actively encouraged it, I think it's called 'the American way'.

Mmm...kids. Yummy. They go well on toast, sometimes with some type of pasta, too. I only eat white ones, though. ;)

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It's ignorant posts like this that make me oh-so-very-satisfied your tax dollars are going towards funding big science.

Keep the $$$ coming, AV.

Upvote 0

Sanguis

Nov 14, 2009
✟597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's ignorant posts like this that make me oh-so-very-satisfied your tax dollars are going towards funding big science.

Keep the $$$ coming, AV.

Haha!

I bet it makes him rage when he thinks that his tax money's being used to further research things that are based on evolution and the Earth being 4.5bn years old!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.