• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

evolution&dogs, book 2

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by billwald, May 7, 2007.

1. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No, the nature of the selection is a very different kind. In Artificial Selection, there can be selection based on a positive or sought after trait, as well as removal or even inclusion of negative traits (Your example of English Bull Dogs is a good one for the inclusion of negative traits)

In natural selection, there is only stress against a negative trait.

As such, the means, method and final outcome are vastly different, not just stricter levels of the same affect.

I believe this is something that should be brought to your attention regarding this, as it is a very important part of the aspect of "evolution" and it's plausibility.

I used the word Life Forms, IE: Plural, not necessarily Populations, because the affect is both, individual and group whole. If individuals will, can, and do, breed with each other, and produce viable offspring, then it is not truly a different species, but a breed.

After all, Populations are just groups of individuals.

Addressed already.

A prime example of ID .. gone wrong.. but still ID, I might even argue the level of intelligence of the designer, but, I could not decry that there is some level of intelligence there. After all, a designer does not mean the design will not be the best or without flaws, look at the Ford Pinto for a good example of that.

We can't argue that it was designed, we just know it was not a very good design.

God Bless

Key

2. Steezie

Steezie Guest

+0
    Key, you are demonstrating ZERO knowleage of...well...just about anything in your arguments. How do you expect people here to take you seriously

3. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

+1,661
    Atheist
    Private
    But they can be successfully interbred using artificial insemination.

I thought all domestic dogs are the same subspecies of wolves.

4. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Now how do I respond to this, with only one sentence?:scratch:

Thank you for the commentary, have a nice day.:wave:

God Bless

Key

5. Steezie

Steezie Guest

+0
    I rest my case

6. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It's been moved around a bit recently.

It is Canis Lupus Domestics for Domesticated Dogs
    and Canis Lupus Lupus for Wolves.

God Bless

Key

7. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Would you like fries with that?:D

God Bless

Key

8. dud1

dud1 New Member

+1
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Genetics say that dogs descended from wolves around 140,000 years ago. I can't see wolves wandering in to camp for food if hungry as they would instead just attack any humans they found on their own. More likely they were deliberately domesticated from puppies as hunt animals as hawks were in the Middle East?

9. sfs

sfs Senior Member

+5,147
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No, that's not correct. In natural selection, there can be selection for new beneficial traits as well as against deleterious traits, and beneficial traits sometimes carry with them negative traits as well. There is a vast literature on both positive and negative natural selection.

Examples of positive selection in humans include selection for lactose tolerance in European adults and selection for the sickle cell mutation in parts of Africa, with the latter also producing the negative trait of sickle cell disease.

10. Pesto

Pesto Senior Member

+26
    Atheist
    Single
    Key, since you repeatedly ignored requests in the other dog thread, I'll ask again here.

Please define evolution.

Don't give me a link. I want the text in your post.

11. RedAndy

RedAndy Teapot agnostic

+40
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    UK-Labour
    Seconded.

12. Steezie

Steezie Guest

+0
    Third

13. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    Technically you are correct; artificial selection is not a mechanism of evolution. However, it does give us incite into the capabilities of natural selection. In other words, it shows us what selection can do with the type of genetic variation that species have.

Not really.. the problem lays in identifying populations that are genetically isolated from each other.

This is completely wrong. Genetic Drift is defined as random change in gene frequency in the absence of selection.

You certainly do not understand genetic drift. I guess me pointing that out means that I am "persecuting you for being a Christian."

I would say separate populations, but OK.

Dogs are bred by people. If you want to see evolution at work, look at mutts.

14. Pesto

Pesto Senior Member

+26
    Atheist
    Single
    Excuse me?

15. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Are you all incapable of reading a link?

God Bless

Key

16. RedAndy

RedAndy Teapot agnostic

+40
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    UK-Labour
    No, but it's easy to post a link. What is harder is to demonstrate a clear understanding of the topic at hand - something that your rants about "evolution" vs. "adaptation" have failed to do.

What we ask of you is to actually tell us what evolution means, to show that you know what you're talking about. At the moment it's a lot of Creationist gum-flappery, but little in the way of substance.

17. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    In the Absence of Selection, then yes, you would be correct, however, we are not dealing with an situation that has an absence of selection. We are in reality discussing a directed and very active selective force being placed upon these animals.

But thank you for that bit of information, it is appreciated to see you giving my responses thought and consideration.

I hope I have cleared up this issue for you as well.

God Bless

Key

18. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

+647
    Agnostic
    Single

OK... you are excused??

There are three general mechanisms of evolution:

1. Natural Selection
    2. Genetic Drift
    3. Gene Flow.

Some people list sexual selection as a mechanism, but I see that as a type of Natural Selection.

19. Key

Key The Opener of Locks

+153
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Allow me to explain, This is Adaptation,

Now, you will notice that it slightly different then the way it is Explained in the Link for Evolution.

And you will also notice that not all Evolutionary Changes are Adaptations. as such, they are in fact, different things. Yes, Adaptation plays heavy on Evolution, but the reverse does not happen.

Oh good, shall you next be saying that I have to be "in the Spirit" to grasp it?

I have a better idea, why don't you show me, that you know what you are talking about, as it stands you seem to possess very little knowledge of this subject, as you seem to become easily confused regrading it.

God Bless

Key.

20. Pesto

Pesto Senior Member

+26
    Atheist
    Single
    No, but posting a link does not demonstrate understanding of the material. Otherwise I could claim to be well versed in

* Ornithology
    * the Reformation
    * Hindu
    * or, anime

I want you to demonstrate your understanding of evolution. You can start by posting the definition in the text of your post.

I believe this is the fourth or fifth time I've had to ask.