• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Evolution becomes theory, theory becomes word (Word becomes guide)

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Gottservant, Aug 9, 2018.

1. PsychoSarah

PsychoSarah Chaotic Neutral

+2,555
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    I improved it somewhat, the original bugged me. After and NASA don't even work as a slant rhyme, AV.

2. Gottservant

Gottservant God loves your words, may men love them also Supporter

+548
    Messianic
    I am just perfectly at peace, with what you're posting here.

"He's schizophrenic, Science is true - we may one day change the theory: what's it to you?"

For example, is there a chance that the more emotional an Evolution, the greater it's likelihood of gaining ground?

3. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,688
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    No, questioning evolution when the subject of evolution comes up is not anything like questioning the origin of a language when the subject being discussed is poetry. Even if it were an apt analogy( which it is not) I would be hard pressed to find an English teacher who begins the teaching of poetry saying that a particular theory of the origin of English was beyond questioning and issuing the diktat that no student will be allowed question that theory in any way. Additionally you seem to be conflating the questioning a of a theory with advocating for a different theory. There is no reason to assume that one that has doubts about a theory necessarily has a different theory they would rather advance. As a former teacher myself ( since you mentioned you r own experience I can only assume you believe being a former teacher carries weight in this discussion) , I would find it somewhat strange to refuse to answer any questions about anything that a student might have sincere questions about. Expecting a student to simply "take my word for it " is not teaching from a position of knowledge, it is dictating from a position of power. Expecting students to take something on faith alone is an attitude that resembles religious orthodoxy not scientific inquiry. Any teacher worth a student's respect, would have no problem defending their position to a student rather than demanding unquestioning faith in the teacher's infallibility. I can only assume that the teacher that I encountered was not competent enough on the subject to defend his position that evolution was simply a fact. . Had the teacher already explained how he reached his conclusion and a student continued to question something already discussed, I could understand cutting off further debate but this teacher refused to begin the discussion as the first thing he said to the class even before a single question was asked.

4. expos4ever

expos4ever Well-Known Member

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    You mean things like:

Antibiotics;
    Dental procedures;
    Instant communication;
    Batteries;
    Surgery to repair torn retinas;
    Air travel;
    Safe water;
    Irrigation;
    Vaccines;
    Telescopes;
    Genetic screening;
    Knee replacements;
    Refrigeration
    Sanitation

.....enough?

Your implication that science is not useful is akin to believing in the tooth fairy.

5. expos4ever

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Come on guys, please stop with the abject lie that students are not permitted from challenging evolution.

You have things backwards I suggest. It is those committed to “religious” thinking who are discouraged from questioning the status quo.

6. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    And your assumption that I would count those things on your list as "strange" is akin to believing Thalidomide is a prenatal wonder drug.

7. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    QV please: Bob Larson vs Winnipeg

8. expos4ever

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Excuse me, Alfred E. Newman?

Your words:

Your (shudder) catch-phrase:

Now you want to pretend you are a fan of science? Could that be because the ridiculousness of your disdain for science was revealed by my post.

No reader here is gonna win a Nobel. But please don't assume they are complete idiots.

9. expos4ever

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I betcha you were hoping I didn't read the link.

There is nothing, nada, zip, diddly-squat in that link that supports the notion that students are not allowed to challenge the theory of evolution.

Sheesh, the quality of what passes for responsible debate here......

10. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+13,252
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    I find the anti-science bent some creationists have here to be immensely hypocritical. I don't see any creationists too quick to give up the scientific advancement we enjoy in modern life.

11. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+13,252
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Why do you keep bringing it up though? You revel in pointing out the mistakes of science in the past (although some like the Challenger disaster less about science and more about engineering), yet there doesn't seem to be any point to it.

You just appear to be trolling for the purpose of getting a reaction. Is that why you are here?

12. expos4ever

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    The idea that science is somehow "bad" is really really hard to take seriously. Yes, science has led to the atom bomb and global warming. But I think it is clear that humanity is far, far, far better off as a result of the scientific enterprise than if we never stumbled upon it as a means to gain useful knowledge of our world.

The irony, of course, is that entirely irrational, conspiracy-theorist, tribal thinking is behind efforts to staunch global warming. And while science was a necessary antecedent to the bomb, it was not sufficient - we needed the folly of power hungry men to make the bomb a reality.

13. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Do you want to pretend you've read everything I've written?

I have more than 743 times the number of posts you have.

Posts like this:

"For the record, I do not completely discard science.

In fact, I claim I agree with 95% of their conclusions.

What I do though, is I subordinate science to theology.

Putting it on the back burner, so to speak."

SOURCE

And this:

'And in fact, I hold science up to a Standard that atheists won't dare to go.

Scientists are, in my "pick-and-choose" opinion, gifted to us from God, and I'll kiss the feet of a scientist before I kiss the feet of a theologian any day.'

SOURCE

And this:

"Or maybe you've forgotten the many times I've said this:

1. Bible says X, science says X = go with X
    2. Bible says X, science says Y = go with X
    3. Bible says Ø, science says Y = go with Y
    4. Bible says Ø, science says Ø = speculate"

SOURCE

So ... no ... I don't want to "pretend" I'm a fan of science.

Science is a gift from God.

14. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ya ... you're right.

You did say this:
    I'd say that was an understatement.

He was ushered off the stage in fear of his life.

15. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ya ... as soon as a Christian turns on his computer, he's obligated to believe we came from the jungle, isn't he?

16. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    If anyone expects me to subordinate my faith in a literal Genesis 1 creation, he'd doggone sure better have me replace it with something that doesn't run on trial-and-error.

17. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    What about the idea that science is a gift from God?

18. expos4ever

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I am ok with that.

But if you believe this, then saying science can “take a hike” seems more than a smidge disrespectful to God.

19. AV1611VET

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    And what if I think 5% of science is "junk science"? Am I allowed to tell it to take a hike?

20. expos4ever

+4,649
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    It is hard to believe you are not a troll, to be frank.

You can't have it both ways. No clear-thinking, rational person who really believed that science is a "gift from God" and who agreed with "95% of the conclusions" of the scientists would have this as their "slogan":

"SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE"

You are only fooling yourself if you think anyone here believes you really do have an appropriate respect for the scientific method.