Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I’m new here. I’m also new to the Lutheran LCMS Faith, coming from Catholicism. I agree with everything about LCMS, so far, except their teaching on no evolution and the earth being 6000 to 10,000 years old. I believe in an old earth and probably believe in evolution. My new pastor knows about this and when I asked if I shouldn’t be bothered by this as long as I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior, he said”correct”,and told me to stay at my new church. Is this (my beliefs) something I should be troubled about or it ok?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi all, I’m new here. I’m also new to the Lutheran LCMS Faith, coming from Catholicism. I agree with everything about LCMS, so far, except their teaching on no evolution and the earth being 6000 to 10,000 years old. I believe in an old earth and probably believe in evolution. My new pastor knows about this and when I asked if I shouldn’t be bothered by this as long as I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior, he said”correct”,and told me to stay at my new church. Is this (my beliefs) something I should be troubled about or it ok?
Depends on whether it troubles you or not really...?

You have to decide that for yourself...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Personal views concerning young earth vs old earth vs evolution, have no impact on salvation. We are saved by God's grace, for Christ sake, through faith.

We are called to live our faith, no cheap grace here, but faith is what saved you, lack of faith is what condemns you...not your personal views on the age of the Earth.

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

Especially if you have the Holy Spirit (of truth), I believe God will continue to convince you of more truth and helping you grow in faith. If you doubt whether you have the Spirit, you can always ask God for Him. (see Luke 11:13)

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Personal views concerning young earth vs old earth vs evolution, have no impact on salvation. We are saved by God's grace, for Christ sake, through faith.

We are called to live our faith, no cheap grace here, but faith is what saved you, lack of faith is what condemns you...not your personal views on the age of the Earth.

So then, my views are ok?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Also, are you LCMS?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
you can’t see my post#1? You answered in post #3. Or am I misunderstanding?

Ok, I saw your post #1 and I did answer #3, so, you are asking if your views are OK.

If you believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, and the savior of the world, and you believe and trust his promises to save you, then I think you are OK

Your belief in evolution, and an old earth will not lead to your condemnation, it's not a salvation issue, IMHO.

However, if it was me, I would ask myself why I believe those things, and can I rationalize it with what scripture says.

Your Pastor is right though, you should still attend, and pray for guidance from God's word.

Many people have some doctrinal issues with their denomination, but it does not mean you have to leave. Some people spend their whole life going from one church to another, to another, and in the end have more questions than when they started.

I think your OK though, you may find that your views will moderate, or, change in the future, or not.

I wish you the best

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I saw your post #1 and I did answer #3, so, you are asking if your views are OK.

If you believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, and the savior of the world, and you believe and trust his promises to save you, then I think you are OK

Your belief in evolution, and an old earth will not lead to your condemnation, it's not a salvation issue, IMHO.

However, if it was me, I would ask myself why I believe those things, and can I rationalize it with what scripture says.

Your Pastor is right though, you should still attend, and pray for guidance from God's word.

Many people have some doctrinal issues with their denomination, but it does not mean you have to leave. Some people spend their whole life going from one church to another, to another, and in the end have more questions than when they started.

I think your OK though, you may find that your views will moderate, or, change in the future, or not.

I wish you the best

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I believe Jesus is the Son of God, Savior of the world and I trust His promises to save me. It’s just the age of the Earth and to a lesser degree, evolution that’s bothering me. I’ve read everything I could find on a young Earth but haven’t changed my mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to the Lutheran forums, it is nice to have more members posting actively here! Feel encouraged to ask any questions you might have on your mind. :)

Upvote 0