Evolution and Santa Claus/ /Commonalities of Illusions

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  Don't be stupid. If he were forced to use the actual definitions biologists used, when discussing biology, he wouldn't be able to expoit the ambiguity he created to create the illusion of a point.

What would you have the poor man do? Actually make a point? Learn? Have a heart!

Upvote 0

chickenman

evil unamerican
May 8, 2002
Visit site
✟17,374.00
When the skulls are studied for even a short length of time, it becomes glaringly obvious that the bone structure is radically different between Homo Sapiens and all the other specimens. If the Homo Sapiens evolved from any of the other represented specimens, then there would be numerous intermediate genetic variations required between the Homo Sapiens and any of those other skull. If such variant natural selective specimens existed before Homo Sapiens evolved to their present form, then we would have found evidence of them. But we have found no such evidence and what we know for sure, that is scientifically, is that Homo Sapiens are radically different than all other specimens. This tells us, realistically, without having to rely on any other theory or without having to view the evidence in any other way than scientifically, that the evidence does not support Homo Sapiens evolving from any other known fossil specimen found on this planet. Therefore the theory of evolution cannot be correct because we are the prime example that proves a disconnection from the stated belief of a continuous evolvement of all life on the planet from a single reference frame.

john, adress the evidence for the descent of homo sapiens from a common ancestor with chimps in the urate oxidase pseudogene thread or shutup

Upvote 0
What does radical mean? Well, that's an easy one to explain, so I'll start with a definition and then highlight the differences between Cro-Magnon and the previous class of hominids.

--Radical: of or from the root or roots; going to the source or foundation of something; --Webster's

Cro-Magnon has a high, vaulted cranium with thin walls of bone encasing the brain pan which accomodates a brain of between 1300 cc and 1700 cc. Neanderthals, Skhul V and all the other previous representations of the hominids that Cro-Magnon is supposed to be naturally selected from have low, rearward sloping craniums with thick walls of bone encasing a brain pan that could accomodate a brain of between 800 cc to 1100 cc.

Cro-Magnon has no brow ridge above the eyes. Neanderthals and the others have a thick, protruding ridge of bone on their brows that stretches from one side of the forehead to the other without any kind of partition.

Cro-Magnon has small cheekbones that are sculpted to a narrow face. Neanderthals and the others have wide, angular cheekbones.

Cro-Magnon has a flat face. Neanderthals and the others have a prognathic face with the lower facial bones protruding like an ape's, but to a lesser degree.

The Cro-Magnon skulls are proportionately different than all of the previous hominids. Where all of the earlier represented hominids in the Smithsonian display have commonalities to each other, the Cro-Magnon has differences. If there ever was a phylogenic connection between the Cro-Magnon and the Neanderthals or the others, then the Smithsonian would be displaying that evidence and evolutionists would have a real foundation for their theory. The problem is, that evolutionists stated their theory began billions of year ago and they worked it to the present. When the science didn't validate their theory, why, they just ignored that scientific evidence. If they formulated their theory properly, they would have begun with what they know in the present time and tried to work it to include the past, and not vice versa.

I imagine it would have been quite a shock to Neanderthal or any of those other early hominid women when they started giving birth to Cro-Magnon babies. That would have raised quite a domestic stir around the campfire, I'm sure.

Hmmm....what else was there? Oh..yeah...race and species! Why would anyone consider the terms race and species to be the all important linchpin to the discussion? The terms don't dictate the science, the evidence does. When someone gets hung up on such triviaities it makes me think of check mark scholars and I wonder about society's viability.

When the geneticists with the Human Genome Project were able to isolate the loci clusters of gene that denote an individual's race, that science proved that white people couldn't turn into black people and black people couldn't turn into white people. If the two different races bred, they would get some mixture of the two but they would never get a pure black or a pure white breed. That means that the original individual races are actually separate species. I'm sorry kids, but that's the new science. You'll just have to get with the program and grasp the new realities. Science isn't going to stagnate and wait for you to catch up, it's just going to keep right on truckin'.

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmmm....what else was there? Oh..yeah...race and species! Why would anyone consider the terms race and species to be the all important linchpin to the discussion? The terms don't dictate the science, the evidence does. When someone gets hung up on such triviaities it makes me think of check mark scholars and I wonder about society's viability.

[snip]

That means that the original individual races are actually separate species. I'm sorry kids, but that's the new science. You'll just have to get with the program and grasp the new realities. Science isn't going to stagnate and wait for you to catch up, it's just going to keep right on truckin'.

Obviously the terms don't dictate your science since you are using the wrong ones.  No matter how hard you want races to be seperate species you still fail to make a case for it.  I've heard these arguments before, and have been just as dismissive of them.  Of course, previously, I've heard them mostly from the so called "Christian Identity" movement.  The point being that the different human races do not share common anscestry.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the point you are attempting to make, is it not?  You've presented no credible evidence for it, but lets just run with it now (not because it's credible science, but because you are using it as the linchpin in your rhetoric). 

All semantic arguments aside (and a dismissive attempt to say it isn’t), race being equal to species is the basis of your entire argument, and following it to its conclusion, you’re trying to establish that Neandertals equate to just another race of humans.  But, have you considered the implications of this?  As I said, it’s not a new argument; it’s commonly expounded to the Christian Identity sects for a specific purpose.  Usually it’s used to suggest a separate lineage for the various races— they do this in an attempt to say that the races besides the white race do not share common descent from Adam and Eve, and thus should not be seen as being the children of God, or to be included among those the Jesus died to save.  Obviously I don’t believe this as I support the scientifically held view, and as defined by all common usages of the words (I am a trained biologist after all) that all human races are the same species and have common anscestors.  I’d like to believe that the view of the Christian Identity sects is not the view you are supporting, but it’s the only other place I’ve ever heard views similar to yours expounded.  Please bring us up to speed as to how your point of view differs from these racist Christian sects.

I imagine it would have been quite a shock to Neanderthal or any of those other early hominid women when they started giving birth to Cro-Magnon babies. That would have raised quite a domestic stir around the campfire, I'm sure.

Boy, it sure would have.  Let's see what scientists have to say about the plausability of this scenario, shall we?

DNA was extracted from the Neandertal-type specimen found in 1856 in western Germany. By sequencing clones from short overlapping PCR products, a hitherto unknown mitochondrial (mt) DNA sequence was determined. Multiple controls indicate that this sequence is endogenous to the fossil. Sequence comparisons with human mtDNA sequences, as well as phylogenetic analyses, show that the Neandertal sequence falls outside the variation of modern humans. Furthermore, the age of the common ancestor of the Neandertal and modern human mtDNAs is estimated to be four times greater than that of the common ancestor of human mtDNAs. This suggests that Neandertals went extinct without contributing mtDNA to modern humans.

Krings M. et al., 1997. Neandertal DNA Sequences and the Origin of Modern Humans, Cell, vol. 90, pp. 19-30.

In other words, modern humans and Neandertals share a common anscestry, but the Neandertal lineage did not contribute to modern human lineage (cro-magnons are considered modern humans).  Your little scenario of Neandertals suddenly becomming modern humans is indeed implausable, as the scientific literature shows. 

Enough for now, lets hear your response and then we can continue "grasping at this significant oppurtunity."

PS.  Since you keep refering to Neil Risch and his opinion piece in Genome Biology, how about you give it a read so that we can go over some of the points? 

Upvote 0

chickenman

evil unamerican
May 8, 2002
Visit site
✟17,374.00
When the geneticists with the Human Genome Project were able to isolate the loci clusters of gene that denote an individual's race, that science proved that white people couldn't turn into black people and black people couldn't turn into white people. If the two different races bred, they would get some mixture of the two but they would never get a pure black or a pure white breed. That means that the original individual races are actually separate species. I'm sorry kids, but that's the new science. You'll just have to get with the program and grasp the new realities. Science isn't going to stagnate and wait for you to catch up, it's just going to keep right on truckin'.

I'm sorry kiddo, you need reading comprehension lessons, risch's paper says nothing of the sort

Please, do us all a favour and look up the following terms as they pertain to population genetics:

Allele
Sub-population
Migration
Locus

We can actually measure the amount of gene flow between the different races using measures such as Fst - they aren't different species by any definition that biologists use

it isn't the new science at all, its the fevered imaginings of a layperson who doesn't quite understand the implications of a paper he's read

Upvote 0
Contrary to some people's belief, the fact that race and species of humans are interchangeable terms is not central to this discussion or to the fact that evolution theory is not valid. Evoluton theory dictates that Cro-Magnon people were naturally selected from previously existing hominids. It is incumbant on evolutionists to prove at least one single case of such evolutionary process that connects us physically with previously existing hominids. If that can't be done for the relatively recent past, then their theory has no validity.

The science produced by the Human Genome Project is documented and recorded and is accepted by mainstream science as being valid. The scientific evidence that Stanford geneticist Neil Risch and his team produced and published the results of have been critically reviewed. For anyone to state now that the loci clusters for race do not exist would be simply foolish. However, if Neil Risch states in his article that he still believes in evolution and a common ancestor out of Africa, when the science he works on shows the opposite, then that is personal opinion and has no scientific validity and is deserving of no respect as it pertains to the scientific evidence. Therefore, to discuss Neil Risch's personal opinion would not be beneficial to this discussion. If anyone wishes to do that, they would be better off going to Neil Risch's web site and discussing it with him.

The pertinent data that we are interested in here is that Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal do not share a complete DNA sequence. It is acknowledged by modern science that Neanderthal women did not give birth to Cro-Magnon babies. That leaves the question to be asked, Which hominid women did give birth to Cro-Magnon babies? If that question cannot be answered, then there is no connection to the past.

The Neanderthal, the Skhul V and the Homo Erectus all lived during the same geologic time period and they all share common physical traits. It is virtually certain that they could not have given birth to Cro-Magnon babies. This is the central point of the natural selection continuity that must prove or disprove evolution theory as it relates to us. In essence, which species of hominid was the first to give birth to a Cro-Magnon baby? And when? If the evolutionists cannot answer that question, then they have no theory. Of course, no proponents of evolution will ever attempt to answer those question because there is no answer. Evolutionists don't even allow themselves to think about such direct inquiry. They prefer the foggy notion of "It all happened a long time ago over many generation and many change and if you don't believe that then you don't believe in science."

When dealing with reality, that is, with the scientific evidence and the observation of phenomena that is described objectively, it is a simple matter to dismiss the evolution theory. Science has shown us that Cro-Magnon humans have existed on this planet for approximately 30,000 year and it has also shown us that no evidence exists which links us to the previous species of hominid that existed here before us. This leads us to make several observation which must be regarded as scientifically valid.

First, Cro-Magnon humans have no scientific connection that can be proved that places us on this planet before the known fossil evidence from 30,000 year ago.

Second, no theory of our existence here has any scientific validity if it ages us as younger or older than the fossil evidence. This point makes invalid the evolution theory and the young earth theory.

Third, there is only one theory which predicted a demarcation timeframe for the current ecological structure of life on this planet, and that theory is in the bible. Therefore the bible must be considered as the only valid scientific evidence for the origin of Cro-Magnon, or, more scientifically, the only theory which has been proved by the observation of the evidence. As our most famous scientist said;

-- "A theory can be tested by experience, but there is no way from experience to the construction of a theory."--Albert Einstein

The fact that the bible describes a demarcation for the appearence of our kind of hominid on this planet indicates that science must now include "ideas" as valid scientific evidence where it is warrented. Ideas are the product of thought and, ultimately, is what all science is derived from. Since the bible explains our appearence on this earth and has done so for several thousand year, we must be willing to accept the bible as scientific evidence. That is not to say I believe it is a literal translation of everything that happened. The bible has had many translations by many different people and I, not being a scholar in bibliography, cannot believe everything in the bible from my scientific perspective. But the truth remains that for several thousand year the bible has been telling us what science is now confirming.

Edited: To magically restore Neil Risch to geneticist after I had briefly made him a physicist.

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Contrary to some people's belief, the fact that race and species of humans are interchangeable terms is not central to this discussion or to the fact that evolution theory is not valid.

Bull. It is central to your thesis. You are trying to show non-relatedness among the races by saying they have discontinuous genetics. To do this you are using the term species in a novel way that is not in agreement with its normal use in common speech or in its more specific meaning among biologists. People of different races can mate and have children, and thus are of the same species no matter how hard you wish this not to be the case. Thus far, all that you have been able to show by this foolish insistence of incorrect usage of both the word species and the concept of species in the biological sense is that your scholarship is poor and that you fail to understand some of the basic tenants of both biology and genetics.

The science produced by the Human Genome Project is documented and recorded and is accepted by mainstream science as being valid. The scientific evidence that Stanford physicist Neil Risch and his team produced and published the results of have been critically reviewed.

Well good for you. You got some of the main points right here. Congratulations. I would like to point out, however, that while Dr. Risch is a Stanford professor he is not a physicist. He is, in fact, a geneticist, and he studies genetic epidemiology and statistical genetics.

For anyone to state now that the loci clusters for race do not exist would be simply foolish.

So, on the basis of single paper, you decide this is the correct position and that geneticist that hold differing viewpoints are fools? I’m inclined (as you seem to be, although it can be hard to tell) that Dr. Risch’s position is likely correct. You do, however, realize that there is a body of literature that has been published that takes differing views do you not? Just out of curiosity, how much of the other literature have you read before you made your “informed” opinion?

However, if Neil Risch states in his article that he still believes in evolution and a common ancestor out of Africa, when the science he works on shows the opposite, then that is personal opinion and has no scientific validity and is deserving of no respect as it pertains to the scientific evidence. Therefore, to discuss Neil Risch's personal opinion would not be beneficial to this discussion. If anyone wishes to do that, they would be better off going to Neil Risch's web site and discussing it with him.

Here is where your argument falls completely to pieces. Dr. Risch is not just expressing an opinion without basis, he is saying that the evidence shows common ancestry, and that genetic differences that we see in different races show us when these races diverged. Using a number of previously published papers as references he cites evidence of genetic differentiation using a number of different genetic markers that support this point. Get this straight now, what Risch has shown is that different races can be treated as distinct populations and have differing frequencies of alleles. Now the basis of this would be that all races of modern humans share a common ancestry and that through “micro” evolution have differentiated somewhat from each other and that these slight differences in genetics have implications in medical treatment.

The pertinent data that we are interested in here is that Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal do not share a complete DNA sequence. It is acknowledged by modern science that Neanderthal women did not give birth to Cro-Magnon babies. That leaves the question to be asked, Which hominid women did give birth to Cro-Magnon babies? If that question cannot be answered, then there is no connection to the past.

Wow, you actually conceded a point and quit making that ridiculous straw man argument about Neandertals giving birth to modern humans. There is hope after all.

The Neanderthal, the Skhul V and the Homo Erectus all lived during the same geologic time period and they all share common physical traits. It is virtually certain that they could not have given birth to Cro-Magnon babies. This is the central point of the natural selection continuity that must prove or disprove evolution theory as it relates to us. In essence, which species of hominid was the first to give birth to a Cro-Magnon baby? And when? If the evolutionists cannot answer that question, then they have no theory. Of course, no proponents of evolution will ever attempt to answer those question because there is no answer. Evolutionists don't even allow themselves to think about such direct inquiry. They prefer the foggy notion of "It all happened a long time ago over many generation and many change and if you don't believe that then you don't believe in science."

When dealing with reality, that is, with the scientific evidence and the observation of phenomena that is described objectively, it is a simple matter to dismiss the evolution theory. Science has shown us that Cro-Magnon humans have existed on this planet for approximately 30,000 year and it has also shown us that no evidence exists which links us to the previous species of hominid that existed here before us. This leads us to make several observation which must be regarded as scientifically valid.

First, Cro-Magnon humans have no scientific connection that can be proved that places us on this planet before the known fossil evidence from 30,000 year ago.

Second, no theory of our existence here has any scientific validity if it ages us as younger or older than the fossil evidence. This point makes invalid the evolution theory and the young earth theory.

Third, there is only one theory which predicted a demarcation timeframe for the current ecological structure of life on this planet, and that theory is in the bible. Therefore the bible must be considered as the only valid scientific evidence for the origin of Cro-Magnon, or, more scientifically, the only theory which has been proved by the observation of the evidence. As our most famous scientist said;

-- "A theory can be tested by experience, but there is no way from experience to the construction of a theory."--Albert Einstein

Oops….spoke to soon there.
First of all, just because a question has not been answered does not mean it cannot be answered. Furthermore, you need to research a little better—modern humans date back 100,000 years in Africa and the middle east. The 30,000 year time frame you are suggesting dates to the immigration of our species (single) into Europe and Asia.

The fact that the bible describes a demarcation for the appearance[sic] of our kind of hominid on this planet indicates that science must now include "ideas" as valid scientific evidence where it is warranted[sic]. Ideas are the product of thought and, ultimately, is what all science is derived from. Since the bible explains our appearance[sic] on this earth and has done so for several thousand year, we must be willing to accept the bible as scientific evidence. That is not to say I believe it is a literal translation of everything that happened. The bible has had many translations by many different people and I, not being a scholar in bibliography, cannot believe everything in the bible from my scientific perspective. But the truth remains that for several thousand year the bible has been telling us what science is now confirming.

Strangely enough, I have no problem with this philosophy. However, thus far you have been inundating us with poor scientific scholarship, novel use of scientific wording, straw man arguments, and a rock like stubbornness in your willful choice not to actually answer any questions asked of you or your argument. Get a good genetics textbook, do some reading, and then try again when you have a better grasp of the subject at hand.

I’ve posted this before, but I think it is more relevant then ever now.
Saint Augustine (A.D. 354-430) in his work The Literal Meaning of Genesis (De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim) provided excellent advice for all Christians who are faced with the task of interpreting Scripture in the light of scientific knowledge. This translation is by J. H. Taylor in Ancient Christian Writers, Newman Press, 1982, volume 41.

Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion. [1 Timothy 1.7]

Upvote 0
DNAunion: Okay, I'll probably get smacked around abit for this, but maybe I'll learn something (besides I'm bored - this might get the old blood pumping again). Oh, and all of this is off the top of my head, too.

If I remember correctly the biological species concept says one or the other of these:

1) A group of organisms that CAN reproduce in the wild with the result being viable and fertile offspring is a species

2) A group of organisms that DO reproduce in the wild with the result being viable and fertile offspring is a species

Maybe I'm wrong - like I said, this is off the top of my head.

Here's the thing. I remember reading somewhere (Science? Scientific American? Discover?) that the number of species of cichlids (<-spelling?) in Lake Victoria in Africa is declining. The culprit being cloudier water (they used a bigger term). The cichlids used to reproduce only with members of their own color patterns, but as the water became cloudier, they became less able to discern which were of their own group and so began reproducing with cichlids that did not have their own color patterns. Thus, the number of species was reduced as two (or more) merged into fewer ones.

If that is correct, then a species is those organisms that DO actually reproduce in the wild - being ABLE to is not enough: you have to actually do it.

If that is correct, then even though whites and blacks could always produce viable and fertile offspring, they would have been separate species in the 1800s (or whatever), only becoming a single species now that interbreeding ACTUALLY occurs.

On the other hand, all dogs are of the same species, yet they don't all interbreed in the wild. So if it is just the ABILITY to reproduce - if actually doing it is not required - then the number of species of cichilds is NOT decreasing in Lake Victoria [at least not due to the cloudy-water thing]

Okay, slap me around people :)

Upvote 0

chickenman

evil unamerican
May 8, 2002
Visit site
✟17,374.00
the biological species concept is defined in terms of gene flow - as long as there is migration between subpopulations that produces fertile offspring - then those subpopulations are the same species. I think you're stretching the definition a bit there DNAunion - I mean you could stretch it to say that any organisms that haven't yet produced fertile offsrping are potentially different species. I'd say the chiclids were either incipient species (not real species - but allopatric populations close to reproductive isolation) or there had always been some small amount of migration between the subpopulations - and thus they were a polytypic species - a species with several recognisable variants

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
chickenman: the biological species concept is defined in terms of gene flow - as long as there is migration between subpopulations that produces fertile offspring - then those subpopulations are the same species.

DNAunion: A population has to be of the same species. Two subpopulations have to be of the same species. There has to be more to the definition than that, otherwise, it's circular.

chickenman: I think you're stretching the definition a bit there DNAunion

DNAunion: I'll look when I get home, or maybe spend the time to do a web search.

chickenman: I'd say the chiclids were either incipient species (not real species - but allopatric populations close to reproductive isolation) ...

DNAunion: They are not allopatric because they share the same habitat (if they didn't, they couldn't reproduce with each other) - they have to be sympatric species.

Anyway, I'm going to do a quick search and see what I find.

Upvote 0
DNAunion: According to this page, I was just about on target.

"Sympatric speciation requires application of the Biological Species Concept, which states that a species is a group of actually or potentially interbreeding populations that are reproductively isolated from other such groups." (http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~mlavin/b403/lec15.htm)

DNAunion: The same page confirms that the Lake Victoria cichlids are sympatric species.

"Sequence analysis of mitochondrial DNA (from the control region, cytochrome B, and several transfer RNAs, for a total of over 800 bp) reveals that sympatric radiation of Lake Victoria cichlid species differ on average by 3 mutations (15 maximum), and these from only the control region. This is in contrast to comparisons among the [allopatric] species that inhabit different great lakes of the rift valley (e.g., Lakes Victoria, Malawi, Tanganyika, Kivu, Edward, Albert), which have been separated for hundreds of thousands of years and that differ by an average of over 50 mutations involving several mtDNA loci."

DNAunion: Here's a couple more on the biological species concept.

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/~pamharrison/chapter24/sld004.htm

http://unix.cc.wmich.edu/~karowe/151lecturepdf/14a

DNAunion: But I am afraid that I have to disagree with the ones that used the word population to define a species, because their definitions become circular (a population is a group of individuals of the same species that live together at the same place and time - they share the same habitat and use the same pool of resources the habitat provides). They should have used the words "groups of organisms" instead of the term "population" when defining a species.

Anyway, it looks like the biological species concept says the individuals of a species EITHER ACTUALLY DO MATE, OR POTENTIALLY CAN MATE, and produce viable and fertile offspring.

That would explain why blacks and whites have always been the same species.

But then the number of species of cichlids in Lake Victory can't be declining due to the cloudier water, can they? Or would that study be using one of the other definitions of species?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Well,...as expected.., no evolutionist could come forward and enlighten us with the information of which type of hominid female first gave birth to a Cro-Magnon baby. That eloquently says all that needs to be said about the validity of the evolution theory. So, that being resolved, we can now move the thread topic back to it's main point, and that is the detrimental effects of imposing impractical theories on society.

The Santa Claus enigma, which started out with such altruistic purpose, is now being used to incite consumers into a seasonal spending frenzy. The merchants and the producers of products seek to foster the growth of their industry and care naught for the reason that Christmas was originally celebrated. Some of them might care on a personal level, but on the corporate level and on the financial level their concern is non-existant and that is what is of concern to society.

When I speak of society, I mean a world society. I don't regard nationalistic boundaries as having any significance whatsoever when it comes to human rights and human ideals. When children, and subsequently the future adults, are indoctrinated with Santa Claus as the motivation for excessive spending on products, which in many case are not needed and are pure indulgence, necessitated by the need to buy "something" because it is the "season", they become self centered and inured to the needs of the truly needy people in society.

The virtual imposition on society of a scientific theory that has no basis in fact also has deleterious affects upon the children, and hence the future adults. Teaching the children in schools that science has the answer to the origin of our being on this planet, when in fact science does not have such answers, keeps the children from thinking deeper on subjects which require much thought for them to be understood practically. The current curriculum leaves the children with a foggy notion of what is real and what is mere, unfounded speculation. If the children are not spurred by the quest for understanding, and instead are constantly stymied in their thought exercises, then they trod through life parroting the corporate/science view without understanding what it is that they are parroting.

The Christmas season was originally intended to celebrate the birthday of our greatest humanitarian and foster goodwill toward humankind. As the enigma that is Santa Claus grows ever larger, that goodwill toward humankind is morphing away from the celebation of Jesus Christ's birthday and into selfish lust for accumulating products and pleasing a narrowing cirlce of relationships. This tendency toward introversion lessens the interaction of society as a whole and it is reflected in the uncaring attitude that is displayed every evening on the nightly news.

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well,...as expected.., no evolutionist could come forward and enlighten us with the information of which type of hominid female first gave birth to a Cro-Magnon baby. That eloquently says all that needs to be said about the validity of the evolution theory.

Nice strategy, refuse to answer any questions and declare victory. Your glorified chicken or the egg argument doesn’t cut it. The exact human lineage isn’t known, nor has it ever been claimed to be exactly known. Genetic testing is obviously impossible for species that have been extinct for many tens of thousands of years. Genetics (real genetics, not your poorly represented caricature of it) clearly shows common descent among homonoids, so just because we can’t say this or that chronospecies is directly ancestral to Homo sapiens you don’t get off the hook. Minor ambiguities don’t falsify the theory of evolution.

So, that being resolved, we can now move the thread topic back to it's main point, and that is the detrimental effects of imposing impractical theories on society.

It’s only resolved in your own mind, but whatever. I agree, imposing impractical theories on society is detrimental. YEC, and its ridiculous caricature of science is highly detrimental to society. Look at you. You attempt to argue scientific points in physics, cosmology, and biology and get everything wrong. You have little or no understanding of any of the underpinnings on any of the scientific subjects you spout off about—obviously your science education in grade school was seriously lacking. The YEC movement seeks to dilute science education further by pushing their impractical theory. I have to agree, that’s quite detrimental to society!

The Santa Claus enigma, which started out with such altruistic purpose, is now being used to incite consumers into a seasonal spending frenzy. The merchants and the producers of products seek to foster the growth of their industry and care naught for the reason that Christmas was originally celebrated. Some of them might care on a personal level, but on the corporate level and on the financial level their concern is non-existant and that is what is of concern to society.

When I speak of society, I mean a world society. I don't regard nationalistic boundaries as having any significance whatsoever when it comes to human rights and human ideals. When children, and subsequently the future adults, are indoctrinated with Santa Claus as the motivation for excessive spending on products, which in many case are not needed and are pure indulgence, necessitated by the need to buy "something" because it is the "season", they become self centered and inured to the needs of the truly needy people in society.

[snip]

The Christmas season was originally intended to celebrate the birthday of our greatest humanitarian and foster goodwill toward humankind. As the enigma that is Santa Claus grows ever larger, that goodwill toward humankind is morphing away from the celebation of Jesus Christ's birthday and into selfish lust for accumulating products and pleasing a narrowing cirlce of relationships. This tendency toward introversion lessens the interaction of society as a whole and it is reflected in the uncaring attitude that is displayed every evening on the nightly news.

I have to agree, the crass consumerism of Christmas is pretty disgusting. Moving from a religious holiday celebrating “peace on earth, good will towards men” and other Christian ideals represented by Jesus Christ, to a self indulgent consumer frenzy is certainly a change for the worse. It used to be people would go out caroling and spreading cheer. Now Christmas cheer usually consists of getting flipped off in the mall parking lot. It’s not the fault of evolution though, I blame it more on a soulless advertising industry.

Virtual imposition on society of a scientific theory that has no basis in fact also has deleterious affects upon the children, and hence the future adults. Teaching the children in schools that science has the answer to the origin of our being on this planet, when in fact science does not have such answers, keeps the children from thinking deeper on subjects which require much thought for them to be understood practically. The current curriculum leaves the children with a foggy notion of what is real and what is mere, unfounded speculation. If the children are not spurred by the quest for understanding, and instead are constantly stymied in their thought exercises, then they trod through life parroting the corporate/science view without understanding what it is that they are parroting.

Oh well, you make a couple points. As I already said, science education is dismal, and most people never develop critical thinking skills that enable them to evaluate different arguments (your scientific musings and YECs are proof enough of that). But, you still have failed to put a dent in the ToE and your rhetoric falls short in showing any detrimental effects to society from it. Scientific theories do not have detrimental effects on society, ignorance, more than anything else, does.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by John MacNeil
Well,...as expected.., no evolutionist could come forward and enlighten us with the information of which type of hominid female first gave birth to a Cro-Magnon baby. That eloquently says all that needs to be said about the validity of the evolution theory.

How much misunderstanding of evolution can you put into one little sentence.&nbsp; Evolution is about changes from generation to generation in a population.&nbsp; There is no way to draw a hard-and-fast line and say: this is where H. erectus ended and where H. sapiens began.

We have the transitional individuals along that transformation from H. erectus to H. sapiens.&nbsp;

"In an evolutionary continuum, change occurs more or less gradually through time.&nbsp; At the early and late ends of such change, everyone agrees that different names are justified, but when one form slowly transforms into another without break, the point where the change of name is to be applied is a completely arbitrary matter imposed by the namers for their convenience only - it is not something compelled by the data."&nbsp; C. Loring Bruce, "Humans in time and space."&nbsp; In Scientists Confront Creationism, edited by LR Godfrey, 1983, pp. 254-255.

One of the transitional individuals:
http://www.discover.com/archive/index.html
&nbsp;DISCOVER Vol. 19 No. 9 (September 1998)
Table of Contents

Breakthroughs

This million-year-old skull pushes back the appearance of Homo sapiens features by some 300,000 years. (Courtesy Ernesto Abbate, reprinted with permission of Nature)

A Million-Year-Old Relative
When a 30-year war between Ethiopia and Eritrea came to an end in 1991, it brought not just peace and independence for the people of Eritrea but a chance for geologist Ernesto Abbate of the University of Florence to resume his long-suspended excavations in the region. That exploration has now paid off. Abbate recently discovered a 1-million-year-old hominid skull near the village of Buia in Eritrea, not far from the Red Sea coast.

The fossil, found with two teeth and fragments of a pelvis, is the first intact hominid skull found from the period between 1.4 million and 600,000 years ago. But even more remarkable is the skull's shape. It blends features of Homo erectus-a tool-using hominid predating modern humans-with those of Homo sapiens. The find, which Abbate calls Buia man, although the sex of the individual is not known, marks the earliest known appearance of an individual with Homo sapiens traits.

The skull is long and oval, pointed at the back, and has massive browridges, all features characteristic of Homo erectus, as is the small brain capacity. Where the skull differs from erectus is in the parietal bones, which form the curved sides and top of the skull. They are much wider at the top than those of H. erectus and are typical of Homo sapiens.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by DNAunion
Anyway, it looks like the biological species concept says the individuals of a species EITHER ACTUALLY DO MATE, OR POTENTIALLY CAN MATE, and produce viable and fertile offspring.

That would explain why blacks and whites have always been the same species.

But then the number of species of cichlids in Lake Victory can't be declining due to the cloudier water, can they? Or would that study be using one of the other definitions of species?

In the biological species concept, the populations have to ACTUALLY mate.&nbsp; Reproductive isolation is a continuum, and several of the isolating mechanisms are pre-zygotic.&nbsp; One of the strongest is mate selection.&nbsp; If members of the two populations don't mate in the wild, they are separate gene pools, whether their genomes can still make a hybrid or not .

The cloudier water can indeed be reducing the number of species by driving some of them to extinction.&nbsp; Since mate recognition of the cichlids is based on color, the cloudier water, among other things, is going to mean that some of the populations can't find their mates.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by DNAunion
DNAunion: A population has to be of the same species. Two subpopulations have to be of the same species. There has to be more to the definition than that, otherwise, it's circular.&nbsp;

Futuyma's Evolutionary Biology:
"Subspecies: A taxonomic term for populations of a species that are distinguishable by one or more characteristics, and are given a subspecific name (e.g. the spuspecies of the rat snake Elaphe obsoleta; se Figure 21 in Chapter 9). In zoology, subpecies have different (allopatric or parapatric) geographical distributions, so are equivalent to "geographic races;" in botany, they may be sympatric forms. No criteria specify how different populations should be to warrent designation as subspecies, so some systematists have argued that the practice of naming subspecies should be abandoned." pg 450

"Semispecies: Usually, one of two or more parapatric, genetically differentiated groups of populations that are thought to be partially, but not fully, reproductively isolated; nearly, but not quite, different species."

"Race: A vague, meaningless term, sometimes equivalent to subspecies and sometimes to polymorphic genetic forms within a population."

"Variety: Vague term for a distinguishable phenotype of a species"

Biological species are defined as "different species represent different gene pools, which are goups of interbreeding or pontentially interbreeding individuals that do not exchange genes with other such groups." D Futuyma Evolutionary Biology pg 27

"Genetic polymorphism is the presence of two or more genetically determined, more or less discrete phenotypes within a single population of interbreeding individuals." pg 239

"A population is a group of organisms of the same species living together in a given region and capable of interbreeding." Biology the Study of Life 6th edition. 1993, pg 605

Upvote 0