• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolution and Eastern Orthodoxy: David J. Dunn

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by truthseeker32, May 26, 2012.

1. truthseeker32

truthseeker32 Lost in the Cosmos

+47
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Evolution and Eastern Orthodoxy | David J Dunn

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Protoevangel

Protoevangel Smash the Patriarchy!

+1,166
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Wow, the article is full of such disingenuous nonsense I don't really know where to start.

To start with though, this sentence ("The fathers of the church generally refused to read Scripture in any kind of literal way.") alone destroys any semblance of validity the author may have hoped to garner.

If you search the forums for "hexameron", you will find a number of threads where there is plenty of evidence regarding the literal interpretation of Genesis by a great number of the Church Fathers.

I did read a relatively decent article by an Orthodox evolutionist: Note to Orthodox Evolutionists: Stop Trying to Retroactively Recruit / Shanghai the Fathers to Your Camp! where he readily admits, "St. Basil does, in fact, quite plainly claim a young earth, and treats this belief as non-negotiable.", "St. Gregory's commentary is not a allegorical interpretation...", and most importantly, "It is better by far to acknowledge that you are outside the Fathers' consensus than make them agree with you. If you are an Orthodox evolutionist, please stop shanghaiing recruiting ancient Fathers to your camp."

Now, of course, his article is wrought with problems of it's own, committing the same errors he recognized in the Evolutionists he critiques... But even though he is blind to the fact that he is committing similar errors, his critique on those Evolutionists articles is still valid on it's own.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+9,037
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yeah, forgive me for saying so, but threads like this always lead nowhere. there are folks who support evolution, folks who reject it, folks who don't care. I personally fall in the middle camp.

4. truthseeker32

+47
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Here is a comment that followed the article:

5. truthseeker32

+47
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married

6. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+9,037
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    but, he doesn't bring up what Fr Seraphim did in that article, and it's pretty clear he didn't actually read what Fr Seraphim wrote. AND that guy that broke with canonical Orthodoxy, has returned. so the whole critique is about as weak as those who called Met Leonty a schismatic and liberal. they never look at the whole man.

7. truthseeker32

+47
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I wonder when he wrote it.