Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been watching Scotty Kilmer's youtube channel for over a year now; and have always been entertained by his rapid fire answering of questions from viewers about cars, car repair, and even human's and human nature.

After being in the electronic service industry years ago; I found out that it was a lot easier to repair some customers electronic gear if you understood human nature and how they used their electronic equipment.

Also when I was in the army Microwave radio & radar school and later in electronic communication college; I met a couple of very smart people that had I.Q's of 160+ and were geniuses with electronic schematics and high powered radar and radio broadcast equipment; but were functional idiots when it came to anything else; like getting along with people; social I.Q.'s of less then 80. They had no common sense.

Now a little about Scotty; from Wiki's bio page:

Scotty Kilmer is an automotive mechanic who hails from America. He is best known and famous for his YouTube channel named “Scotty Kilmer”. His YouTube channel provides car maintenance tutorial to help its viewer.
Birth
Scotty Kilmer was born on 2nd October 1953. He was born in Niagra Falls, NY, United States. According to birth, he is of American nationality and belongs to white ethnicity.
Education and Early Career
He graduated from the University of Illinois with master's degree in anthropology
Professional Career
He showcased his talents and personality from a very young age. He was passionate about cars and its mechanism since he was just 14 years old. The exceptional talents he demonstrated in his profession inevitably garnered him a lot of fame and reputation.
According to reports, in 1979 Scotty Kilmer started his professional career by establishing his own repair business at that time. He was dedicated to his work a lot because he was fond of it. While working in his own business, he started writing various book regarding his experience and knowledge about the cars. Eventually, in 1994, he published his own book named “Everyone's Guide To Buying A Used Car”. After releasing the book, he got the opportunity to work on a show named "Crank It Up" airing on CBS TV, in Houston. This show was basically a car talk host show. After 10 years of hosting, in 2004 he won an Emmy for “Interactive Car Talk Host”. Later on, he started uploading videos on his eponymous YouTube channel. This YouTube channel has been dedicated to the viewers in helping them fix their car’s problems easily. He has over 1.5 million subscribers and more then 200 million views of his videos in the last 10 years.

Why should we listen to a car mechanic about evolution? Because he is full of common sense; something that seems in short supply in the debates on it; which ever side your on. And he has a Master degree in Anthropology.

He is a fast talker so it goes pretty fast about the evolution part; but stick around for the whole show; he has some good advice about cars too.

The Truth About Evolution, We Didn’t Evolve from Apes
By Scotty Kilmer

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
No, we didn't evolve from apes. We both evolved from a common ancestor.

Amen. Humans descended from the common ancestor of all Humans, Adam. Prehistoric people (sons of God) descended from LUCA, the last universal common ancestor which God created on the 5th Day, some 3.8 billion years ago. Put them together and it has produced some 7 billion living Humans today. Genesis 6:4

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
We evolved from apes because we are apes. Monophyly is not the easiest concept to grasp, but it doesn't require a genius to understand it.

False, since Adam, the first Human was made BEFORE any other living creature, before plants, herbs, rain and trees. Genesis 2:4-7 The last universal common ancestor was created from WATER Genesis 1:21 but Humans were made from the Dust. Try again?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why should we listen to a car mechanic about evolution? Because he is full of common sense; something that seems in short supply in the debates on it; which ever side your on. And he has a Master degree in Anthropology.

I'm not going to dip my toe into the youtube sewer, but I would be interested to here what Scotty would think about common sense suggestions about car repair from someone with no knowledge, experience or expertise in car mechanics, except for 1 semester of shop in high school 40 years ago.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to dip my toe into the youtube sewer, but I would be interested to here what Scotty would think about common sense suggestions about car repair from someone with no knowledge, experience or expertise in car mechanics, except for 1 semester of shop in high school 40 years ago.

I don't know; I'll have to ask him in his next Q&A session; he's real good about answering all kinds of questions; like I would like to ask him what level of expertise he thinks the average poster to CF's P&LS and it's sub-forums; has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

Amen, and when Lord God/Jesus made the creatures from the dust, Adam named them. Genesis 2:19 Adam was there at the beginning of the 6th Day because he was formed of the dust of the ground on the 3rd Day Genesis 2:4-7. Adam was made BEFORE plants, herbs, rain and trees which were made after Adam was made. Genesis 2:8-9

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen, and when Lord God/Jesus made the creatures from the dust, Adam named them. Genesis 2:19 Adam was there at the beginning of the 6th Day because he was formed of the dust of the ground on the 3rd Day Genesis 2:4-7. Adam was made BEFORE plants, herbs, rain and trees which were made after Adam was made. Genesis 2:8-9
Adam was spiritually re-made in the Spirit of God from the natural or animal man. Man was created by the earth along with the other beasts.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have been watching Scotty Kilmer's youtube channel for over a year now; and have always been entertained by his rapid fire answering of questions from viewers about cars, car repair, and even human's and human nature.

After being in the electronic service industry years ago; I found out that it was a lot easier to repair some customers electronic gear if you understood human nature and how they used their electronic equipment.

Also when I was in the army Microwave radio & radar school and later in electronic communication college; I met a couple of very smart people that had I.Q's of 160+ and were geniuses with electronic schematics and high powered radar and radio broadcast equipment; but were functional idiots when it came to anything else; like getting along with people; social I.Q.'s of less then 80. They had no common sense.

Now a little about Scotty; from Wiki's bio page:

Scotty Kilmer is an automotive mechanic who hails from America. He is best known and famous for his YouTube channel named “Scotty Kilmer”. His YouTube channel provides car maintenance tutorial to help its viewer.
Birth
Scotty Kilmer was born on 2nd October 1953. He was born in Niagra Falls, NY, United States. According to birth, he is of American nationality and belongs to white ethnicity.
Education and Early Career
He graduated from the University of Illinois with master's degree in anthropology
Professional Career
He showcased his talents and personality from a very young age. He was passionate about cars and its mechanism since he was just 14 years old. The exceptional talents he demonstrated in his profession inevitably garnered him a lot of fame and reputation.
According to reports, in 1979 Scotty Kilmer started his professional career by establishing his own repair business at that time. He was dedicated to his work a lot because he was fond of it. While working in his own business, he started writing various book regarding his experience and knowledge about the cars. Eventually, in 1994, he published his own book named “Everyone's Guide To Buying A Used Car”. After releasing the book, he got the opportunity to work on a show named "Crank It Up" airing on CBS TV, in Houston. This show was basically a car talk host show. After 10 years of hosting, in 2004 he won an Emmy for “Interactive Car Talk Host”. Later on, he started uploading videos on his eponymous YouTube channel. This YouTube channel has been dedicated to the viewers in helping them fix their car’s problems easily. He has over 1.5 million subscribers and more then 200 million views of his videos in the last 10 years.

He is a fast talker so it goes pretty fast about the evolution part; but stick around for the whole show; he has some good advice about cars too.

The Truth About Evolution, We Didn’t Evolve from Apes
By Scotty Kilmer

Humans are apes ny definition.

”Common sense” is just a way of writing ”what I think”. Its a meaningless concept with no weight in a debate.

There is no real debate about the ToE as its incredibly wellsupported by data and research.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well; not to belabor the point; but I think a Masters degree in Anthropology is closer to a Ph.D. in evolutionary science; then one semester in high school shop class; is to a professionally trained car technician. And Scotty is both.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
”Common sense” is just a way of writing ”what I think”. Its a meaningless concept with no weight in a debate.

Common sense: definition: "Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate."

If people have went thru an indoctrination; like many years of college; universities; and debate forums where the idea of a theory is no longer up for debate; Like ToE (did you know that there is no ToE--search for that and all you get is-"a digit of the foot") then "common sense" has been trained out of them.

A.A.S.org calls ToE a notion:
"Darwin's Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the birds and the bananas, the fishes and the flowers -- all related. Darwin's general theory presumes the development of life from non-life and stresses a purely naturalistic (undirected) "descent with modification"

Theory: definition:
a-- hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation

b:-- an unproved assumption : CONJECTURE

There is no real debate about the ToE as its incredibly wellsupported by data and research.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Common sense: definition: "Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate."

If people have went thru an indoctrination; like many years of college; universities; and debate forums where the idea of a theory is no longer up for debate; Like ToE (did you know that there is no ToE--search for that and all you get is-"a digit of the foot") then "common sense" has been trained out of them.

"Darwin's Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the birds and the bananas, the fishes and the flowers -- all related. Darwin's general theory presumes the development of life from non-life and stresses a purely naturalistic (undirected) "descent with modification"

Not only do you not understand my post, you also dont know what a scientific theory entails.

• Agree
Reactions: Gene2memE
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well; not to belabor the point; but I think a Masters degree in Anthropology is closer to a Ph.D. in evolutionary science; then one semester in high school shop class; is to a professionally trained car technician. And Scotty is both.

As someone with a PhD in evolutionary science...you're wrong.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟143,395.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Common sense can only be used for the knowledge that you already have.
Every new big discovery in science, more often then not, is something completely counter-intuitive. Which means that "common sense" would never lead to those conclusions.

Common sense is reasoning like this:
- hot things are hot
- heat touching the skin hurts
- the stove is hot
- therefore, touching the stove will hurt

But if you don't know what a stove is, what heat is or how heat affects your skin, then mere common sense will NOT lead you to that conclusion.

If people have went thru an indoctrination; like many years of college; universities;

Indoctrination and education, are not the same thing.

Darwin's theory presumes that life exists. It presumes nothing about its origins, other then predicting that first life would have had to be something very simple. It presumes absolutely nothing about how that first life came into being.

That's the definition of the colloquial useage of the word. Like when you are with your mates at the bar drinking beer and then saying "you know this Arsenal team... i got this theory about why they suck..."

The scientific definition is different. And I'm sure it was mention in the dictionary where you looked that up as well. You just didn't feel like quoting those parts.

Allow me to be a bit more accurate and intellectually honest:

theory
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]
See more synonyms for theory on Thesaurus.com
noun, plural the·o·ries.
  1. a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
  2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
  3. Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.

Check out the first definition. That's the definition that applies to "theory" in a scientific context.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone with a PhD in evolutionary science...you're wrong.

Well; as someone who was trained as a electronic technician; have repaired cars, trucks, motorcycles; computers; and too many things to mention; restored the same; for over 40 years; (cars need more of a electronic tech now then a simple mechanic) I think I'm right on that it's a long ways from; one semester in high school shop class. They have pretty much done away with auto shop classes anyways.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟143,395.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well; as someone who was trained as a electronic technician; have repaired cars, trucks, motorcycles; computers; and too many things to mention; restored the same; for over 40 years; (cars need more of a electronic tech now then a simple mechanic) I think I'm right on that it's a long ways from; one semester in high school shop class. They have pretty much done away with auto shop classes anyways.
None of this matters to the subject of biology.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.