Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many people talk about evidence of salvation. You can know that you are saved if you have believed on Christ, but can there be other evidence to prove that you are really saved?

Here is what I believe is the greatest evidence of salvation: if you can understand the Bible.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV) says, "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

So this verse is teaching that it is impossible for the 'natural man' to know the things of the Spirit of God. If you are not saved, you only have the natural man. You don't have that new spiritual man inside you. You can only understand the scriptures once you have been born again spiritually. That's why the atheists often compare the Bible to a fairy tale, because the Bible is foolishness unto them just like 1 Corinthians 2:14 teaches.

Another evidence of salvation is that you hear God's word. If someone tells you about God's word, and you hear it, and you believe it and it makes sense to you, that's another evidence that you're saved.

1 John 4:5-6 (KJV) says, "They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."

Many people would think that your works are the evidence of salvation. That's false! Your works are not evidence of salvation! People who are not saved can quit drinking and they can quit smoking. They can have a changed life and turn from sins but they're still not saved. It's also possible for a saved person to not turn from his sins and still be saved. It's called being a carnal Christian. According to Romans 4:5, even a guy who doesn't have any works whatsoever is still saved if he has faith. So works or turning from sin is not a good way to test if someone is saved.

Romans 4:5 (KJV), "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It's called being a carnal Christian. According to Romans 4:5, even a guy who doesn't have any works whatsoever is still saved if he has faith. So works or turning from sin is not a good way to test if someone is saved.
What do you do with James? I agree 'works' can be misleading, but if there is no turning from sin, no desire for holiness and Godliness, how can one claim to belong to Christ?

As for the carnal Christian, do you see the two words together in the Bible?

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree 'works' can be misleading, but if there is no turning from sin, no desire for holiness and Godliness, how can one claim to belong to Christ?

Well, how much do you have to turn from sin? The Bible says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8). So everyone has sins no matter what. I believe that every saved person delights in the law of God after the inward man and has desire for Godliness, but that is not the same as turning from sin and living in a holy life.

"For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." - the apostle Paul

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Galatians 2
19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you do with James? I agree 'works' can be misleading, but if there is no turning from sin, no desire for holiness and Godliness, how can one claim to belong to Christ?

Yes absolutely in 1 Corinthians 3.

“Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1:1-3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

“And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3:1-3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
By their fruits Matthew 7:16

This verse is thus usually understood as saying that one should not simply judge a prophet by their words, but what is implied by fruits has been much debated. F. Dale Bruner notes that there are two competing views.[4] Fruits can be read as referring to the behaviour and life of these false prophets. If their behaviour is not pious, one should not expect their words to be.[5] This opinion was first advanced by John Chrysostom and is supported by many modern scholars such as Eduard Schweizer and Ulrich Luz. The alternate view is that fruits refers to the teachings of the false prophets, that the false prophets will be noticeable by teachings that don't conform to correct doctrine. This understanding has been supported by Augustine, Jerome, Martin Luther, and John Calvin.[6]
Matthew 7:16 - Wikipedia

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
"For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." - the apostle Paul
This is part of his rhetorical construction. He is not saying that he —a Christian— can be carnal. He is saying that he as the person sold under sin (slave to sin, as he describes elsewhere) is carnal, aside from regeneration. Follow his logical progression through the whole book. He is talking about the fleshly nature —in the believer, what we call 'the old man', is indeed carnal, but we are not 'the old man'.
“And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3:1-3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Is he not here remonstrating them for their immaturity? If they walk according to the flesh, they are walking like mere men, and have no reason to be called believers. This is not calling them carnal Christians, as if that was not a self-contradictory term; it is calling them carnal, as though they were unbelievers, in hopes they will straighten up and grow up.

When he speaks elsewhere (Hebrews 6, and no, I am not sure Paul wrote Hebrews) in the same sort of disparaging way, he ends with, "But we are confident of better things in your case....things that pertain to Salvation." The flesh does not 'pertain to' Salvation.

Well, how much do you have to turn from sin? The Bible says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8). So everyone has sins no matter what. I believe that every saved person delights in the law of God after the inward man and has desire for Godliness, but that is not the same as turning from sin and living in a holy life.

So, no point in turning from known sin, since there is always more, always regress, always defeat? Living sinlessly is not what God plans for us in this life, agreed. But consistently failing to turn from sin is inconsistent with your next verse, 1 John 1:9. "If we confess our sin, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Further, you must take into account the rest of Scripture. Sin is disobedience, not love for Christ. Being born again necessarily causes sorrow and repentance from sin. Not walking in the flesh.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @BibleBeliever1611, while I agree with what you said in the OP about certain things being signs to us that help us know 'that we are who we claim and believe ourselves to be (in Christ)', I believe that what we 'do' (after we come to saving faith .. or after someone fails to do so), can be a sign as well.

For instance, the Apostle Paul tells us what to look for in our lives to be able to recognize who and/or what we truly are (because, while a believer does talk/act like an unbeliever when we choose to sin, and unbelievers can act like true Christians at times, we ~typically~ act according to the kind of nature that we possess, fallen or regenerate/Christlike, if our wills are free to do so, that is).

Galatians 5
19 Now the works of the flesh ~are manifest~, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

In summary he says,

Galatians 5
24 They that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts
So it seems reasonable to me that what someone 'does', as well what they say (and even how they think) is not only a good sign to them about who/what they are, but one of the ways that we obey the command to, examine ourselves, to make sure that we are truly in the faith/in Christ .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 13:5.

God bless you :)

--David

2 Corinthians 13
5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The eunuch had to "understand" the gospel clearly "before" the preacher would baptize him.

... Understandest thou what thou readest? (Ac.8:30)

A message always comes before any conversion.
(Jn. 6:44,45) (Acts 8:5,12,13,26-40)

Believe + Baptism = Salvation - (Mark 16:16) (1Peter 3:20,21)

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
First things first.
A person that is saved loves truth. Not only 'the Truth known as the Bible. To just say that we love the Bible, while loving and deliberately holding to false teaching inside and/or outside the church, calls one's salvation into question, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many people talk about evidence of salvation. You can know that you are saved if you have believed on Christ, but can there be other evidence to prove that you are really saved?

Here is what I believe is the greatest evidence of salvation: if you can understand the Bible.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV) says, "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

So this verse is teaching that it is impossible for the 'natural man' to know the things of the Spirit of God. If you are not saved, you only have the natural man. You don't have that new spiritual man inside you. You can only understand the scriptures once you have been born again spiritually. That's why the atheists often compare the Bible to a fairy tale, because the Bible is foolishness unto them just like 1 Corinthians 2:14 teaches.

Another evidence of salvation is that you hear God's word. If someone tells you about God's word, and you hear it, and you believe it and it makes sense to you, that's another evidence that you're saved.

1 John 4:5-6 (KJV) says, "They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."

Many people would think that your works are the evidence of salvation. That's false! Your works are not evidence of salvation! People who are not saved can quit drinking and they can quit smoking. They can have a changed life and turn from sins but they're still not saved. It's also possible for a saved person to not turn from his sins and still be saved. It's called being a carnal Christian. According to Romans 4:5, even a guy who doesn't have any works whatsoever is still saved if he has faith. So works or turning from sin is not a good way to test if someone is saved.

Romans 4:5 (KJV), "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."
The absolute best evidence is our love for God and neighbor-and this is usually expressed by how we treat our neighbor since he's more accessible in this life, and often in need. Love acts, by its nature, for the good of others-and that kind of love involves change: a work of God's in us. It means that God has justified us-and is continuing to do so to even greater depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Turn the question around. How much sin can we commit, and how grave can that sin be, before it bars us from admittance to heaven and the presence of God-as Scripture tells us that it will?
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." - the apostle Paul

There must be some change in us, wrought by God that orients us to authentic, personal righteousness. And how does that happen?
"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Rom 7:24

So Jesus accomplishes that feat in us:
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." 1 John 1:7

"But you know that he appeared so that He might take away our sins. And in Him is no sin." 1 John 3:5

“…just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Rom 5:21

"And so He condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Rom 8:3-4

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is he not here remonstrating them for their immaturity? If they walk according to the flesh, they are walking like mere men, and have no reason to be called believers. This is not calling them carnal Christians, as if that was not a self-contradictory term; it is calling them carnal, as though they were unbelievers, in hopes they will straighten up and grow up.

No because he addressed them as those who have been sanctified in Christ.

“To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1:2‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Scripture may not agree.
James 2
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead".

We can not deny the "fruits" of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
markq

How about this, to whom was Paul writing when he wrote 1 Cor 3:3

For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
markq

How about this, to whom was Paul writing when he wrote 1 Cor 3:3

For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

It is written to a church group, composed of believers and pretenders. But this has already been answered (see post #8). Even if those he is referring to are truly elect, they are not mature, and are behaving as though they are not believers. If they continue without repentance, as other references show, they are not elect. The term, 'carnal Christians', is self-contradictory, if 'Christians' means anything besides members or attendees of a gathering.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is written to a church group, composed of believers and pretenders. But this has already been answered (see post #8). Even if those he is referring to are truly elect, they are not mature, and are behaving as though they are not believers. If they continue without repentance, as other references show, they are not elect. The term, 'carnal Christians', is self-contradictory, if 'Christians' means anything besides members or attendees of a gathering.
It's clearly written to believers, not debatable lol

Upvote 0