Oct 18, 2016
AB
✟721.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Private
Here is something for you to consider.

God created the earth upon its foundations.

What are the foundations he built his creation upon?

Jesus is the first foundation. The apostles and the Prophets are the next foundation. The saints and all whom he will call.

All creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of light to be revealed.

It was for the foundations that God created the universe to be inhabited.

Look it up! See for yourself "the foundations of creation"

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟732,803.00
Faith
Humanist
Sombreros can be explained. Biological gears can't. There is no randomness and small changes in The genetic code required for a Sombrero to form.

You seem to be comparing apples to oranges.
Why do you say they can't be explained? There are many examples of striations and regularly spaced protrusions in insects and other species. These gears sure look neat, but are by no means the strangest evolved traits that can be found.

ETA: Apparently the Issus gears are an overcomplicated solution to a problem that is solved differently in other species. The gears tend to break, which cripples the insect until they can be replaced by molting. And the gears are completely lost in the final molt since they then would have no chance of repair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vaccine

Oct 22, 2011
✟11,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you say they can't be explained? There are many examples of striations and regularly spaced protrusions in insects and other species. These gears sure look neat, but are by no means the strangest evolved traits that can be found.

ETA: Apparently the Issus gears are an overcomplicated solution to a problem that is solved differently in other species. The gears tend to break, which cripples the insect until they can be replaced by molting. And the gears are completely lost in the final molt since they then would have no chance of repair.
Regardless the cause, all I'm asking here is are gears designed?

Upvote 0

Vaccine

Oct 22, 2011
✟11,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. At least not by a conscious mind. I'd say they are designed by the process of evolution though.

Interesting answer. No, gears are not designed but yet they are by evolution. Little bit of hedging there. Just so we're clear, are you saying that gears, any gears, are not designed by a conscious mind?

Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟732,803.00
Faith
Humanist
Interesting answer. No, gears are not designed but yet they are by evolution. Little bit of hedging there. Just so we're clear, are you saying that gears, any gears, are not designed by a conscious mind?
Of course not. These gears are most certainly designed by man. But not the ones depicted in the OP.
patek-5370-movement-close-up.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sombreros can be explained. Biological gears can't. There is no randomness and small changes in The genetic code required for a Sombrero to form.

You seem to be comparing apples to oranges.
Let's suppose I agree that they can't be explained.

Then it amounts to nothing but an argument from ignorance.

If it can't be explained, then don't pretend that you can explain it.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ok. Prove it.
1. that the gears you showed are designed by man

Visit any watch making factory.

2. that the gears on the planthoppers legs aren't designed.

Don't ask us to prove a negative.
Support your own claims.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟732,803.00
Faith
Humanist
Ok. Prove it.
1. that the gears you showed are designed by man
2. that the gears on the planthoppers legs aren't designed.
Very well, but I hope this is not going to end up in silly sophistry.
  1. I can go to the very factory that makes the watch with the gears. I can look at the blueprints and machining instructions for those gears. I can look at the parts being made and the complete watch being assembled. In some cases (not sure about this particular watch), I can even talk to the designer himself.
  2. Apart from that it obviously is impossible to prove a negative, I can do none of the things above. What I can do is look at how similar features occur in nature and in the nested hierarchy of evolution. I can study the creatures DNA and figure out precisely what mutations led to the formation of those gear like structures.
Does that answer your questions?

Upvote 0