West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not my thing. They do nothing for me, at least not beyond beyond a general appreciation of the things of nature. I'm not the one with a dirty mind.

Sorry it was a low shot, I apologize.

Upvote 0

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
what about ollie (I am changing subjects from art for awhile)

does ollie believe in primordial soup?

as the theory of abiogenesis?

If I can chime in, we don't know enough about the origins of life on earth. At this stage, we mainly have just hypotheses. Based on the geology and fossil record, the best estimate is that it began approximately 3.5 billion years ago. But, as to the how .... that's a good question ... perhaps the most important scientific question of all.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I can chime in, we don't know enough about the origins of life on earth. At this stage, we mainly have just hypotheses. Based on the geology and fossil record, the best estimate is that it began approximately 3.5 billion years ago. But, as to the how .... that's a good question ... perhaps the most important scientific question of all.

well like I said in post 315, the textbooks are selling this idea of a primordial soup. Which is outdated and wrong.

Upvote 0

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
well like I said in post 315, the textbooks are selling this idea of a primordial soup. Which is outdated and wrong.

If there are those in the scientific community ... and I don't know if there are .... that believe that it is a viable hypothesis, then it's fine for them to say as much.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If there are those in the scientific community ... and I don't know if there are .... that believe that it is a viable hypothesis, then it's fine for them to say as much.

Well the textbooks say so, and thats all that I was questioning. Why teach kids stuff that science doesn't teach?

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
plus when you do a search on google scholar all kinds of articles come up under "primordial soup" which shows that it's still active.

primordial soup - Google Scholar

new science magazines:

Origin of life: Power behind primordial soup discovered

1 year old science magazines:

How Earth's Primordial Soup Came to Life | Chemical Evolution & Natural Selection | Primordial Soup & The Origin of Life | LiveScience

So, is it still considered a viable hypothesis or not??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, it does if there are still real, legitimate scientists that conclude it is a viable hypothesis.

well for one the fluids would primarily be water, which is the most abundant liquid in earth, water tends to break down DNA and protein into nucleotides and amino acids respectively, due to a law called mass action.

but there are more reasons why DNA could not evolve in a watery soup

even if you were not thinking of DNA in a primordial soup, there are other problems such as the breakdown of the essential gases needed due to radiation from the sun. But thats another story.

for more info you can download A.E. Wilder smith audios or books- He goes into this a little bit.
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=104

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
well for one the fluids would primarily be water, which is the most abundant liquid in earth, water tends to break down DNA and protein into nucleotides and amino acids respectively, due to a law called mass action.

but there are more reasons why DNA could not evolve in a watery soup

even if you were not thinking of DNA in a primordial soup, there are other problems such as the breakdown of the essential gases needed due to radiation from the sun. But thats another story.

for more info you can download A.E. Wilder smith audios or books- He goes into this a little bit.
Dr. A.E. Wilder-Smith Audio Sermons - Sermon Index

Grady, I fully admit that this is not my area of expertise (I'm a mathematician). But, since you didn't answer my question above, I assume that this is not yours either.

Again, Grady, if there are real, professional scientists with the requisite expertise in relevant fields that conclude that it is still a viable theory, then I'm going to go with what they say over you, no offense. Now, that doesn't mean that there is no chance that tomorrow's discover will eliminate it as a viable theory ... it most certainly could. But, until that time ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Grady, I fully admit that this is not my area of expertise (I'm a mathematician). But, since you didn't answer my question above, I assume that this is not yours either.

Again, Grady, if there are real, professional scientists with the requisite expertise in relevant fields that conclude that it is still a viable theory, then I'm going to go with what they say over you, no offense. Now, that doesn't mean that there is no chance that tomorrow's discover will eliminate it as a viable theory ... it most certainly could. But, until that time ...

but still a simple law like mass action, should show these guys that it can't happen.

But when you want to believe something so badly, it don't matter where the evidence points right?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
but still a simple law like mass action, should show these guys that it can't happen.
I don't think you quite grasp what the law of mass action actually states. Besides, alongside biological molecules like amino acids and nucleotides, basic molecules will also form lipid micelles - bubbles of hydrophobic fat that are semipermeable to monomers. Monomers go in, polymerise, and then get stuck inside the bubble. Since they're inside a protective membrane, the mechanical action of the water doesn't matter except on larger scales (and even then it only serves to shear the large bubbles into two, smaller bubbles - the first instance of mitosis).

Citing the law of mass action as a disproof of abiogenesis, is like citing the second law of thermodynamics as a disproof of evolution - it doesn't say what you think it says.

Upvote 0

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

But when you want to believe something so badly, it don't matter where the evidence points right?

I think you are confusing real scientists with people ... , well, .... like yourself. The "wanting to believe something so badly" is trait of those who have their answer long before they do any actual research ... don't you think?

Again, Grady, you don't do this stuff for a living. And, I strongly suspect that you are simply regurgitating prose from your favorite websites who happen to share the same beliefs that you do. Until you actually spend countless hours in a lab, get behind a microscope, conduct an experiment, produce open, peer-reviewed research, etc., I'm not going to take your challenges to the scientific community very seriously ... and nor will they. You have the right to your opinion; but, it is an amatuer opinion ... and one that is extremely biased towards a very particular answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.