Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you believe Christ is the first resurrection, which fulfilled the oath made to David, then your argument against @parousia70 , that “this has nothing to do with David” doesn’t work, and is an illogical argument, contradictory to your own position.

The thousand years are speaking of a period of time. Whether a literal thousand years or a figurative thousand years, that's debatable, and is beside the point. The thousand years are still an era of time that have a beginning point and an ending point, and that during the thousand years all of the following have to be true, thus can't involve an era of time where some or none of it was true.

1) satan is in the pit during the thousand years. He gets put in the pit in the beginning of it, and he is loosed from the pit after the thousand years expires.

2} There are thrones at the beginning of the thousand years, and they did sit, and judgment is given to them.

3) martyrs that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus( BTW, this would be ludicrous if meaning before Jesus is even born first, that they were already beheaded for the witness of Jesus prior to His first coming), these, among other martyrs, such as those that did not worship the beast or it's image, etc, they all live again and begin reigning with Christ a thousand years, where that reigning begins at the start of the thousand years, obviously.

Does where you place the beginning of the thousand years and the ending of the thousand years, fit an era of time where 1), 2), and 3) would have all been true? If the beginning of your proposed thousand years precedes the first coming, obviously, 3) above, for example, couldn't possibly fit that era of time for certain.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you believe Christ is the first resurrection, which fulfilled the oath made to David, then your argument against @parousia70 , that “this has nothing to do with David” doesn’t work, and is an illogical argument, contradictory to your own position.

At the resurrection and is followed by satans “little” season.

How long is/was the millennium? What marked/marks its start and what marked/marks it's finish? When is Satan's little season? What marked/marks its start and what marked/marks it's finish?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How long is/was the millennium?

According to the vision, 1,000 years

What marked/marks its start and what marked/marks it's finish?

According to the vision, the binding satan marks its start, and the release of satan marks its finish.

When is Satan's little season?

According to the vision, after the 1,000 years.

What marked/marks its start and what marked/marks it's finish?

According to the vision, satan's relese marks the start of the little season, and satan's being thrown into the lake of fire, marks the end of the little season.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the vision, 1,000 years

According to the vision, the binding satan marks its start, and the release of satan marks its finish.

According to the vision, after the 1,000 years.

According to the vision, satan's relese marks the start of the little season, and satan's being thrown into the lake of fire, marks the end of the little season.

Ok. You are obviously avoiding for a reason. What you and other Extreme Preterists are saying is that the millennium is not a reality. It’s a meaningless apparition. It is a figment of John’s imagination. The events outlined and the sequence presented are really an imaginary nonsensical delusion. The victory outlined does not exist. Time or sequence (whether symbolic or literal) do not mean anything. Detail does not matter anymore. Extreme Preterism must be justified/supported at any cost.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thousand years are speaking of a period of time. Whether a literal thousand years or a figurative thousand years, that's debatable, and is beside the point. The thousand years are still an era of time that have a beginning point and an ending point, and that during the thousand years all of the following have to be true, thus can't involve an era of time where some or none of it was true.

Within the vision, yes, I absolutely agree the 1,000 years is a period of time.

1) satan is in the pit during the thousand years. He gets put in the pit in the beginning of it, and he is loosed from the pit after the thousand years expires.

Within the vision, I absolutely agree.

2} There are thrones at the beginning of the thousand years, and they did sit, and judgment is given to them.

3) martyrs that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus( BTW, this would be ludicrous if meaning before Jesus is even born first, that they were already beheaded for the witness of Jesus prior to His first coming), these, among other martyrs, such as those that did not worship the beast or it's image, etc, they all live again and begin reigning with Christ a thousand years, where that reigning begins at the start of the thousand years, obviously.

Does where you place the beginning of the thousand years and the ending of the thousand years, fit an era of time where 1), 2), and 3) would have all been true? If the beginning of your proposed thousand years precedes the first coming, obviously, 3) above, for example, couldn't possibly fit that era of time for certain.

Within the vision, yes, it absolutely fits in 1,2 and 3.

I would absolutely disagree the millennium takes place prior to the first coming.

Where do the gospels and epistles, excluding revelation, place the millennium ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gundy22

Arminian Commando
Apr 10, 2021
Waco
✟25,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I think the OP of this thread was about evidence whether Revelation was written early or late.

Now it has morphed into speculations about the Millennium. It is interesting to speculate on the Millennium - I myself do not know whether it should be taken literally or not - perhaps that should have its own thread.

But this one was about evidence for Revelation being written either before Jerusalem fell in 70 AD or well after that, circa 95 AD.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok. You are obviously avoiding for a reason.

Avoiding what? I answered each one of your questions.

What you and other Extreme Preterist are saying is that the millennium is not a reality.

Full preterists believe the millennium was a reality. Full preterists believe the millennium was the 40 year period between 30ad and 70ad. I do not agree with full preterists. I am not a full preterist.

The events outlined and the sequence presented are really an imaginary nonsensical delusion.

Non-Sequitor

Upvote 0

Gundy22

Arminian Commando
Apr 10, 2021
Waco
✟25,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
SG - what is an "Extreme Preterist"?

There are Full Preterists (supposedly forbidden here) - and there are Partial Preterists - and some Partial Preterists refer to themselves as "Extreme Partial Preterists" - but the phrase "Extreme Preterist" is a new goalpost that has just been moved into this ever-shifting discussion which has left all sense of "when was Revelation written?"

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SG - what is an "Extreme Preterist"?

There are Full Preterists (supposedly forbidden here) - and there are Partial Preterists - and some Partial Preterists refer to themselves as "Extreme Partial Preterists" - but the phrase "Extreme Preterist" is a new goalpost that has just been moved into this ever-shifting discussion which has left all sense of "when was Revelation written?"

Ask parousia70. That is how he defines himself.

Upvote 0

Gundy22

Arminian Commando
Apr 10, 2021
Waco
✟25,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
No. parousia70 has defined himself as an "Extreme Partial Preterist", not as an "Extreme Preterist". It is YOU who is canning the term "Extreme Preterist" - I know parousia70's views and am quite close to them myself. You are just muddying the waters, SG - so either define Extreme Preterist or lets quit using that exact term.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gundy22

Arminian Commando
Apr 10, 2021
Waco
✟25,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
In an attempt to try to get back to date of authorship of Revelation - I am seeking help concerning Orthodox knowledge of Antipas - a martyred bishop of Pergamum

92 AD is the most commonly accepted date of his martyrdom - however - in what I would call a Greek Orthodox version of Fox's Book of Martyrs - it was mentioned that Antipas' death may have been in Nero's reign.

I can no longer find what I call the Orthodox Fox's book of martyrs
but below is something which mentions the DISPUTED DATES of Antipas being roasted in a brass bull...

Antipas of Pergamum - Conservapedia

"It is said that he died during the persecutions under Nero or Domitian sometime after A.D. 68, according to the majority of biblical scholars most probably about the year 92. If true, this places the dating of the Book of Revelation most probably A.D. 95-96 near the end of the reign of Domitian."

Antipas - like the dubious Irenaeus refernces - does NOT nail down an early date or a Late Date.

IMO, It cannot be said with certainty if Revelation was written early or late. We don't get any closer than 66-95 AD. Partial Preterism can live with either early or late date.

• Agree
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
External Evidence for dating Revelation.

1.) It is true that Irenaeus' qoute in the greek is ambiguos when it comes "it was seen". This verb can refer to John "was seen" or the Vision "was seen". However, in Eusebius’ Latin translation , the "it was seen" refers to the Vision, and not John, thus seemingly confirming a post 70ad dating.

“Had there been any need for his name to be openly announced at the present time, it would have been stated by the one who saw the actual revelation. For it was seen not a long time back, but almost in my own lifetime, at the end of Domitian’s reign.” (Against Heresies, 5.30.3)

However, this did not stop Eusebius from believing the New heavens and New Earth and New Jerusalem were realized on earth in 70ad per Samuel Lee’s dissertation. And it most likely won't change the mind of preterists either, due to internal evidence.

EUSEBIUS Bishop of Caesarea (c. 265 - 340) Extract from the 'Theophania' "All authorities concur in the declaration that "when all these things should have been done" "The End" should come : that "the mystery of God should be finished as he had declared to His servants the prophets" : it should be completed : time should now be no more : the End of all things (so foretold) should be at hand, and be fully brought to pass : in these days should be fulfilled all that had been spoken of Christ (and of His church) by the prophets : or, in other words, when the gospel should have been preached in all the world for a testimony to all nations, and the power of the Holy People be scattered (abroad), then should the End come, then should all these things be finished. I need now only say, all these things have been done : the old and elementary system passed away with a great noise; all these predicted empires have actually fallen, and the new kingdom, the new heaven and earth, the new Jerusalem--all of which were to descend from God, to be formed by His power, have been realized on earth; all these things have been done in the sight of all the nations ; God's holy arm has been made bare in their sight: His judgments have prevailed, and they remain for an everlasting testimony to the whole world. His kingdom has come, as it was foretold it should, and His will has, so far, been done; His purposes have been finished; and, from that day to the extreme end of time, it will be the duty, as indeed it will be the great privilege of the Church, to gather into its bosom the Jew, the Greek, the Scythian, the Barbarian, bond and free; and to do this as the Apostles did in their days--in obedience, faith and hope.'

2.) Epiphanus places the dating of John's banishment to Patmos during the time of Claudius (Epiphanius Heresies 51.12, 33.)

3.) The syriac prologue of the Revelation includes "“The Revelation which was made by God to John the evangelist on the island of Patmos, into which he was thrown by Nero Caesar.”"

Some Internal Evidence for pre-70ad.

1.) Soon

Revelation 1:1-3 This is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon come to pass. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, 2who testifies to everything he saw. This is the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.3Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear and obey what is written in it, because the time is near.

2.) Desolation of Jerusalem in 70ad.

Revelation 11:2 But exclude the courtyard outside the temple. Do not measure it, because it has been given over to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for 42 months

Luke 21:24 And Jerusalem will be trampled by the nations, until the times of the nations are fulfilled.

3.) Church in Philadelphia to be protected from the hour of trial to come on the whole world.

revelation 3:10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I will also keep you from the hour of testing that is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.

4.) 6th seal is in regards to the desolation of Jerusalem when comparing to gospel scripture.

Revelation 6:12-14 And when I saw the Lamb open the sixth seal, there was a great earthquake, and the sun became black like sackcloth of goat hair, and the whole moon turned blood red, 13and the stars of the sky fell to the earth like unripe figs dropping from a tree shaken by a great wind. 14The sky receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved from its place.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days: ‘The sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

Revelation 6:16 And they said to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb.

Luke 23:28-29 But Jesus turned to them and said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for Me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. Look, the days are coming when people will say, ‘Blessed are the barren women, the wombs that never bore, and breasts that never nursed!’ At that time
‘they will say to the mountains, “Fall on us!” and to the hills, “Cover us!
” ’c

5.) harlot of Babylon is 1st century Jerusalem.

a.) The harlot is the great city, which is Jerusalm

Revelation 17:18 And the woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.”
Revelation 11:8 Their bodies will lie in the street of the great city—figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where their Lord was also crucified.

b.) the harlot is responsible for all the righteous blood shed, which Jesus put on 1st century Jerusalem.

Revelation 18:24 And there was found in her the blood of prophets and saints, and of all who had been slain on the earth.

Matthew 23:35-36 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36Truly I tell you, all these things will come upon this generation.

c.) After the harlot is destroyed, the wedding feast is ready. Jesus states the wedding feast would be ready following the destruction of Jerusalem.

Revelation 9:19 Then the angel told me to write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

Matthew 22:7-9 The king was enraged, and he sent his troops to destroy those murderers and burn their city. 8Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited were not worthy. 9Go therefore to the crossroads and invite to the banquet as many as you can find.’

I have no disagreements that some things in revelation can be about a future still to us, But I would argue it is mainly in regards to the victory of Christ and the New bride and the destruction of the 1st century Jerusalem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. parousia70 has defined himself as an "Extreme Partial Preterist", not as an "Extreme Preterist". It is YOU who is canning the term "Extreme Preterist" - I know parousia70's views and am quite close to them myself. You are just muddying the waters, SG - so either define Extreme Preterist or lets quit using that exact term.

No. parousia70 described himself as an "Extreme Preterist."

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No. parousia70 described himself as an "Extreme Preterist."

I don't know what that is, but the Statement of Purpose for this subforum and I think for all of Christian Forums at least the parts marked "Christian Only" do not allow full preterism. If extreme preterism is code for full preterism, it is not an allowed view. I think the reason is that it is so far outside orthodox Christianity that it is considered like the Book of Mormon or Jehovah's Witnesses or Universal Unitarians, or like the rumors running around that Jesus never came in the flesh that was an early heresy in the church.

V. Additional Rules
If you click on "Full preterism" one line above, it spells it out in vivid detail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
from the link above:
Influences within Christian thought[edit]
Partial preterism is generally considered to be a historic orthodox interpretation as it affirms all eschatological points of the ecumenical Creeds of the Church.[50][51][52] Still, partial preterism is not the majority view among American denominations founded after 1500 and meets with significant vocal opposition, especially by those denominations which espouse dispensationalism.[50][52][53] Additionally, dispensationalists are concerned that partial preterism logically leads to an acceptance of full preterism, a concern which is denied by partial preterists.[54]

Full preterism is sometimes viewed as heretical,[50][51][52] based upon the historic creeds of the church (which would exclude this view), and also from biblical passages that condemn a past view of the resurrection or the denial of a physical resurrection or transformation of the body — doctrines which most Christians believe to be essential to the faith. Critics of full preterism point to Paul the Apostle's condemnation of the doctrine of Hymenaeus and Philetus (2 Tim 2:17–18), which they regard as analogous to full preterism. Adherents of full preterism, however, dispute this assertion by pointing out that Paul's condemnation was written during a time in which (their idea of) the resurrection was still in the future (i.e., pre-AD 70). Their critics assert that if the Resurrection has not yet happened, then the condemnation would still apply.

Upvote 0

Gundy22

Arminian Commando
Apr 10, 2021
Waco
✟25,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I am well aware what Full Preterism is.
I am well aware that parousia70 never identified as a Full Preterist or as an Extreme Preterist - but rather an EXTREME PARTIAL PRETERIST.

This board's policy is "Partial Preterists welcomed". Get with it. Know it. Live it. If you will never "welcome" Partial Preterists, at least quit erroneously labelling Partial Preterists as Fulls; or claiming that someone who classiifies as EXTREME PARTIAL PRETERIST is instead EXTREME PRETERIST or FULL.

Can you live within CF.COM policy towards Partial Preterists or not?

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Let's ask Parousia70 to describe his views rather than speculate as to what they are. I have no idea personally what constitutes "extreme partial preterism" and was merely pointing out full preterism is not allowed by citing the rules so everyone can see for themselves. The views are what matters rather than the label, but it would be interesting to know the differences between:
  1. Full preterism
  2. Extreme preterism
  3. Extreme partial preterism
  4. Partial preterism
I'm doing good to understand Futurism vs. Preterism, much less all these finer shades of interpretation!

Upvote 0