• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Evidence for an earth much older than 6,000 years

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by RickG, May 18, 2012.

1. prodigal brother

prodigal brother Guest

+0
    I don't know why anyone even argues over this matter of the earths age, clearly the bible does not give information on what or from where God got the material he used to form the earth, as we see it was there without form in the beginning, there is no conclusive evidence that God created the earth from new material, Its more probable since He used the earth to create man that God likes to recycle and reuse, as even our dead bodies become food for worms. Much like a refurbished house it may look new on the outside but its guts tell a different story

2. RickG

RickG Senior Veteran Supporter

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
  3. CabVet

CabVet Question everything

+151
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    Here, so much for "past events cannot be observed", turtles having sex 47 million years ago:

[​IMG]

http://www.newscientist.com/article...o-go-prehistoric-turtles-died-during-sex.html

I was going to post images of people having sex a few thousand years ago in Pompeii (petrified after a volcanic eruption), but I figure that would get me banned, so I hope turtle sex is PG13 enough.

Or how about a fish eating another fish 50 million years ago?

[​IMG]

4. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You mean 'making love'? ever heard of that?

They just may have been married; but seeing as this is the 21st century, I guess there's not much difference anymore, is there?
    You mean 'mating'?
    I wasn't aware Pompeii was 50 million years ago.

5. CabVet

+151
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    No. I don't mean making love, I mean sex. "Making love" requires an emotion that cannot be observed in the fossils or petrified couples (and it doesn't require marriage either), so nobody is able to tell if they were "making love" because you can't observe emotion in a fossil. And a lot of the petrified scenes are from brothels in Pompeii, so I would hardly call paying a prostitute for sex "making love".

No, "mating" is just the pairing between animals. In this case, if you analyze the fossil you will realize (just as the researchers did) there is more than just "mating" going on. Anyways, what is so wrong about calling it what it is? Sex?

The fossil fish is not from Pompeii, it is from a 50 million year old deposit.

6. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    So that's the default position then, huh?

What's the default position if scientists can't figure out our Lord's resurrection due to 'lack of evidence?'

7. CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun Well-Known Member

+41
    Atheist
    Private
    What makes you think we haven't figured it out?

Default position is... people who are dead do not come back to life (except in myths and zombie movies).

8. mkatzwork

mkatzwork Newbie

+10
    Atheist
    Private
    Yes. The default has to be...it didn't happen at all.

Even if it did, it wouldn't prove Jesus divinity or the validity or value of his moral teachings, or really aid anything at all.

9. CabVet

+151
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    No, it's not the default position, it is what we can tell from the petrified couples. When we can tell emotions from fossils we can say that they were "making love", before then, we have to be content with sex. We also cannot tell if they were "happy" or "sad" when they died, we can only tell that they did die.

As for the Lord's resurrection, do you really have to ask?

But I am detecting a total derailment of the thread here, what does calling it "sex" or "making love" have to do with the age of the earth or the fact that we can study what happened in the past by looking at fossils?

10. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    The scientific method. What do say we get back on topic now.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. NailsII

NailsII Life-long student of biological science

+46
    Atheist
    Single
    To be fair, you have to say that a resurection is a rather unlikely event, if you are looking for a natural explanation.
    It is more likely that Jesus had a brother that looked a lot like him, and an elaborate hoax was played out.
    That is still unlikely, but more likely than a supernatural answer.
    how about this one?

[​IMG]

12. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Ice core chronologies not only distinguish annual layers, but seasons within those annual layers can also be recognized.

13. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I agree ... to a point ... but then my reasoning is theological, not geological.

14. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Care to clarify to what point?

15. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    4004 BC

16. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Let's stick to science, Okay?

17. thaumaturgy

thaumaturgy Well-Known Member

+858
    Atheist
    Married
    Science is hard!

18. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    You mean there are places in Pompeii that aren't brothels? :D

19. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You forget that scientists can find a single tooth and make a whole civilization out of it; replete with cavemen lighting fires, while their wives are in the background doing chores, under an overcast sky, etc. and so on.

All they have to do is find a fin under a log in the water and they've got the whole Atlantic basin mapped and categorized.

20. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Sure thing, Rick ... let's stick to science.