temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I asked for those things and some would disagree, Lol, but I feel I got them. Then again some of us may already be prone to have some degree of wisdom, so that only confuses the issue for you.

I honestly am not sure what to tell you. To me anyway, and from what the bible says, you should expect positive results to your prayers on that.

It ain't much but all I can recommend is you keep trying, keep praying on the matter, and sometimes these things take time. Stay humble,and in Gods will, something you seem to be already doing, but I'm just making sure.

How long have you been addressing God on this issue?
All my life

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
even if you think you understood some verses in the bible, it happens that you don't feel it applies in your life, the main text I've seen is "ask in my name and you'll receive" i ask intelligence and wisdom and I keep feeling a fool, i don't understand science, math, logic, etc. I ask God for a more potent brain and I don't receive, I have no intellectual capacity...

all this in my experience, it's frustrating

I find that God uses this to bring us to where otherwise. we could never come to without it.

A cross is the first step in beginning to reason with God; which fruit is borne out in a knowledge that brings an inner peace of knowing, and which the sciences only serve to complement.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
even if you think you understood some verses in the bible, it happens that you don't feel it applies in your life, the main text I've seen is "ask in my name and you'll receive" i ask intelligence and wisdom and I keep feeling a fool, i don't understand science, math, logic, etc. I ask God for a more potent brain and I don't receive, I have no intellectual capacity...

A concept of everything in the Bible is true, but not everything applies us is is know as Dispensationalism. Two of the main verses that support that belief are:

2Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Tim. 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

It so happens that the "ask..." verse and ones related to it are in that part of scripture that is designated for Israel under their covenant promises. They were told that they will have power from on high to preform miracles which did happen in early Acts and will happen again through the filling of the Holy Spirit when the tribulation comes and they are the blessed vehicle for the Nations.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mm you convinced me, but for now i am trapped in what i don't want

Therein lies where the disconnect is. A fixation on what you want vs what you have. You aren’t ready for what you want if you can’t accept what you have, because even if you get what you want your brain will move on to crave the next thing it feels it wants. Wanting is a bottomless pit that can never, ever be filled without addressing the reason behind the craving.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

My apologies if I got it wrong, but as I understand it you are referring to John 14:13-14, which actually says in context with preceding verses: 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

In other words the things we are to ask in his name are the things that we will DO, the greater works. Certainly I don't recall Jesus asking for much for himself (that this cup might pass from his lips springs to mind).

So you should be praying for opportunities to reach into the lives of other people, to heal or teach them.

And then there is the issue of Intelligence. My understanding is that most psychologists will tell you that you are born with a certain level of intelligence and that will never change, only develop.

So don't worry about intelligence, since you have whatever God gave you and use that to the best of your ability and you will be fine.

Intelligence is overrated!

Wisdom on the other hand is underrated. Wisdom is definitely worth praying for and James tells us to do this. Wisdom generally comes with experience, though some are wiser than others.

My understanding of Wisdom is that it is the application of knowledge. For example you may know that something is harmful, but wisdom tells you to avoid it.

If you want to get wisdom, get knowledge and experience, I would say generally be better to start in a particular area. Steep yourself in the wisdom literature - Proverbs and Ecclesiastes and know that they are not laws, but wisdom, so they are what ought to be true, not necessarily what is true.

And read Job because it is full of people giving bad advice.

Forget intelligence and aim for wisdom.

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
My apologies if I got it wrong, but as I understand it you are referring to John 14:13-14, which actually says in context with preceding verses: 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

In other words the things we are to ask in his name are the things that we will DO, the greater works. Certainly I don't recall Jesus asking for much for himself (that this cup might pass from his lips springs to mind).

So you should be praying for opportunities to reach into the lives of other people, to heal or teach them.

And then there is the issue of Intelligence. My understanding is that most psychologists will tell you that you are born with a certain level of intelligence and that will never change, only develop.

So don't worry about intelligence, since you have whatever God gave you and use that to the best of your ability and you will be fine.

Intelligence is overrated!

Wisdom on the other hand is underrated. Wisdom is definitely worth praying for and James tells us to do this. Wisdom generally comes with experience, though some are wiser than others.

My understanding of Wisdom is that it is the application of knowledge. For example you may know that something is harmful, but wisdom tells you to avoid it.

If you want to get wisdom, get knowledge and experience, I would say generally be better to start in a particular area. Steep yourself in the wisdom literature - Proverbs and Ecclesiastes and know that they are not laws, but wisdom, so they are what ought to be true, not necessarily what is true.

And read Job because it is full of people giving bad advice.

Forget intelligence and aim for wisdom.
the fear of the lord is the beginning of intelligence

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I ask God for a more potent brain and I don't receive," :) There are for me right now countless times of faith in the OT. So many times GOD is with us.. GOD is with me. And so many of these people.. GOD didn't say a word. It was faith.

He said.. what ever you ask the Father in my name.. what ever you desire when you pray believe you receive it and you shall have it. OT Psa 34:7 delight your self in the lord and He will give you the desire's of your heart.

Your looking at God through mans eyes. Here.. nothing is free you have to do something to receive it. Your a child of God. You are a joint heir with Jesus Christ. Fact.. we deserve death but fact He already took our place. We can keep acting as if it never happen and how awful evil we are or except what Christ has already done because our Father sees us holy and righteous because of what Christ has done. So when you ask and what your asking goes in line with the word of God.. you KNOW He heard you you KNOW He already started the answer before you even asked. You don't go by TIME or how you FEEL HEAR OR SEE. You remind Him of His word.. you ask you praise Him for answering. Why? Because HE said this. Again we need to learn about NOT putting a TIME limit on God and don't go by how you feel. Feelings are up and down all over the place. You are a JOINT HAIR>

"Being heirs of God is one part of our inheritance but being a joint-heirs with Christ is yet another. The Greek word for joint-heirs is same word as heirs above but with ‘syn’ in front ‘klēronomeō’ which adds to the meaning ‘joint’ or ‘co-receivers’ of an inheritance,; a joint or co-beneficiary. What an awesome thought that we have received an inheritance together with Jesus Christ. The fact we could share anything with Jesus much less put our names in the same sentence as His can altogether be nothing but the grace of God. How humbling these thoughts are."

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Silly Uncle Wayne said “ Forget intelligence and aim for wisdom” . I’m gonna add to that . Intelligent people just think faster . So they learn more in a shorter period of time. That doesn’t mean that a less intelligent person can’t learn . It just means it takes them longer. My oldest once taught a girl with Down Syndrome how to do some calculus problems . So keep plugging away and don’t get discouraged that it might take you longer. Also as I’ve stated I struggled with math for decades . I just kept doing it because I figured out that I needed it and I wanted to learn it.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The problem is right there in the title, it shows your doubt. "but"

You seem like a truthful person so I'm sure you are honest with yourself also. Can you see the doubt? We all have it to different degrees and that's why we can't just ask and receive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Have you considered that God may not want you to be overly intelligent?
Luke 10:21
"At that time Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and declared, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because You have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was well-pleasing in Your sight."

Intellectuals often struggle with faith. The gospel is way too simple for complicated people who have to logic everything out. I speak from experience. It took me way too long just to accept God's word as it is and not try to understand everything. Who can understand God anyway? Not me! My IQ was sufficient to gain entry to the military as an Electronics Technician. Fine. It was, if anything, a hindrance to my Christian walk!
During one sermon,the Pastor asked this question. The question was,"Do you know why God does not use intellectuals to spread the Gospel?" I thought that his answer was going to be,"Because intellecutals tend to have big egos". But,I was wrong. His answer was,"God uses intellectuals and other gifted people to do his work. They become engineers, doctors,Scientist,ecetera to help out mankind. But,he uses average people to spread Gospel." I thought,"For example,Moses was not an intelectual. And,God used Moses to lead the Children of Israel out of bondage in Egypt."

Upvote 0

Brad T. M.

Sep 12, 2020
Burlington
✟8,693.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your pursuit of greater intelligence is commendable, and I believe that God will always approve and support you in your endeavor to improve yourself in any way, so long that He is glorified in the process. You have identified weaknesses in yourself that you want to develop into strengths, which is a perfectly healthy response, particularly if you need to do so for educational purposes. God longs for you to become the best version yourself, which appears to be exactly what you are aspiring to accomplish.

Some say that a higher level of intelligence may be a hindrance, and I understand how that could be the case for many people. Perhaps that is true for you as well, or maybe succeeding to expand your knowledge in these areas of interest will serve to further enhance your faith in God.

Sabertooth brought up a great point how intelligence is a very broad concept that covers a multitude of different modalities, some of which God may want you to focus more on. Nevertheless, your overall intelligence is comprised of much more than the fields of study that you have listed, many others of which you probably excel in right now. If you have not already done so, you should explore these other avenues.

You can search for something like “different types of intelligence”

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Your pursuit of greater intelligence is commendable, and I believe that God will always approve and support you in your endeavor to improve yourself in any way, so long that He is glorified in the process. You have identified weaknesses in yourself that you want to develop into strengths, which is a perfectly healthy response, particularly if you need to do so for educational purposes. God longs for you to become the best version yourself, which appears to be exactly what you are aspiring to accomplish.

Some say that a higher level of intelligence may be a hindrance, and I understand how that could be the case for many people. Perhaps that is true for you as well, or maybe succeeding to expand your knowledge in these areas of interest will serve to further enhance your faith in God.

Sabertooth brought up a great point how intelligence is a very broad concept that covers a multitude of different modalities, some of which God may want you to focus more on. Nevertheless, your overall intelligence is comprised of much more than the fields of study that you have listed, many others of which you probably excel in right now. If you have not already done so, you should explore these other avenues.

You can search for something like “different types of intelligence”
Consolation gift

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
During one sermon,the Pastor asked this question. The question was,"Do you know why God does not use intellectuals to spread the Gospel?" I thought that his answer was going to be,"Because intellecutals tend to have big egos". But,I was wrong. His answer was,"God uses intellectuals and other gifted people to do his work. They become engineers, doctors,Scientist,ecetera to help out mankind. But,he uses average people to spread Gospel." I thought,"For example,Moses was not an intelectual. And,God used Moses to lead the Children of Israel out of bondage in Egypt."
I'm not so sure about that. Paul was an amazing scholar, Peter and John were fishermen. Jacob was rat cunning and plotted and manipulated his way to steal the blessing from his brother. There are all kinds of Christians, some brilliant, others ordinary, and everything inbetween.

Intellectuals have a problem because it is way too easy to depend on mental prowess instead of the Lord. That goes for their secular work as well as in spiritual matters. I have a slightly above average IQ. I was a complete nerd. When my peers were reading comics, I was reading the World Book encyclopaedia. It's just my natural gift. When I was saved, I spent hours studying God's word. But a lot of it was just theory. I was called a "walking bible" by someone I knew. But I did not have the experience in my life. It's easy to memorise scripture (for me, anyway). No one has the natural ability to live it. That's why we need the Lord Jesus to be our life. Jesus came that we might have "Zoe" life. That's not the life we got from Adam. It is far above the natural life. (Pseuche in Greek).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but the bible says " ask and receive in my name"

Yes - "in my name" is the most important bit.
It means "according to his will, with his authority, praying according to his character and plan" - not "I want ....... in Jesus' name".

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consolation gift

What are you saying - that the gifts/abilities he has given you are not good enough?
That what you want is more important than what God has given you?
That you don't trust him to give you what is best for you, or you don't like the person that he has made you to be?
That the gifts of ............. are only second best and intellect is the most important?

Have you read the parable of the talents? The servant who was given one talent and buried it because he was afraid, was rebuked for not using what he had been given.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Yahshua is our Messiah's name.

YHWH is our Heavenly Father's name.

Yah is a hyphenated or poetic expression of our heavenly father's name.

Shua is the Hebrew word for salvation.

Yahshua came in his Father's name.

When we call in the name of Yahshua we are literally calling on our heavenly Father to save us through Yahshua.

Ask YHWH to save you; and you will receive.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Have you really followed the conditions that Jesus have spoken :
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT, and it will be yours. -Mark 11:24

This is what you have said:
i ask intelligence and wisdom and I KEEP FEELING a fool, i DON’T UNDERSTAND science, math, logic, etc.
I ask God for a more potent brain and I DON’T RECEIVE, I HAVE NO intellectual capacity...

Looking at what you have said is not encouraging, you depend on feeling or your mind or understanding, and that you believe that you don’t receive and have nothing. It is nowhere that you show that you believe that you have received it !

You have not met the conditions that the Lord’s promise !

So, if it happens that you don't feel it applies in your life, you know you have not met the Lord’s promise conditions.

So, if you said that you understood some verses in the Bible in regard to “ask in my name and you'll receive“, you must consider yourself whether you have been a disciple of Jesus Christ to begin with.

When you are just asking for “science, math, logic, etc” ; are you just asking for your own intellectual edification or are you asking godly edification?

Are you asking something for your own self glory or are you asking that you may live your life for God’s glory?

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Have you really followed the conditions that Jesus have spoken :
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT, and it will be yours. -Mark 11:24

This is what you have said:
i ask intelligence and wisdom and I KEEP FEELING a fool, i DON’T UNDERSTAND science, math, logic, etc.
I ask God for a more potent brain and I DON’T RECEIVE, I HAVE NO intellectual capacity...

Looking at what you have said is not encouraging, you depend on feeling or your mind or understanding, and that you believe that you don’t receive and have nothing. It is nowhere that you show that you believe that you have received it !

You have not met the conditions that the Lord’s promise !

So, if it happens that you don't feel it applies in your life, you know you have not met the Lord’s promise conditions.

So, if you said that you understood some verses in the Bible in regard to “ask in my name and you'll receive“, you must consider yourself whether you have been a disciple of Jesus Christ to begin with.

When you are just asking for “science, math, logic, etc” ; are you just asking for your own intellectual edification or are you asking godly edification?

Are you asking something for your own self glory or are you asking that you may live your life for God’s glory?
I'm just trying to be better

Upvote 0