Everything that has brought me closer to Christianity in General has brought me closer to Orthodoxy

Anthony70

Dec 28, 2018
Private
✟12,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am very interested in the Orthodox Church for many of the same reasons you listed. Something else I would add is that the Biblical Canon is much fuller then the Protestant and even the Catholic canons.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, Here's a few more things:

I used to be (still am) a big fan of Dr. Francis Schaeffer and his writings and movies like "How Shall We Then Live" and "The Christian Manifesto". Well, come to find out his son (Franky Schaeffer) actually became Eastern Orthodox.

53310.jpg

Also, I starting reading books on apologetics and watching debates by Dr. Walter Martin on Youtube as The Bible Answer Man when I first started researching apologetics. A couple of years ago the person who became the Bible Answer Man after him Hank Hanegraaff also became Eastern Orthodox.

phpThumb.php

Pretty Cool Stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
be careful with Franky Schaeffer. he kinda went off the deep end, sadly. he is an atheist who believes in God or something like that. it's really weird.

Yeah, I've read that a few places on other forums. I wonder what happened.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟141,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think I have. I have been to a Lutheran Church before but it was just preaching when I went.
Most Lutheran churches have a liturgy and can even be "high church" but there are some "free" Lutheran churches that have no liturgy.

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I've read that a few places on other forums. I wonder what happened.

Franky had some ongoing issues with his family going back to the L'Abri days. After Francis's death, there was quite a bit of intrigue with his siblings regarding who would carry on the legacy. Franky (now Frank) also was disillusioned regarding what the Religious Right, informed by Francis's writings, had become.

He's written three books regarding what happened:
Crazy for God
Patience with God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)
Sex, Mom, and God.
I've read the first and would like to read the others.

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dave Bartosiwicz gives a great break down of The Five Holy Sees @ 2:25 that most people don't know about. Most people only know about "The See of Rome"

• Rome
• Constantinople
• Alexandria
• Jerusalem
• Antioch

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Another thing that I wanted to add was that I remember listening to The Book of Revelation where The Apostle John is saying that he was on The Island of Patmos so I looked for videos and information about The Island of Patmos.

And lo and behold there is the cave of The Apocalypse and a Church built on top of it on The Island of Patmos :

I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, Was On The Island That Is Called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

• Revelation 1:9

%257BPatmos-Cave+of+St+John1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's a video called "The Protestant Reformation and the Orthodox Christian East"

by:
FR. PANAYIOTIS PAPAGEORGIOU, Ph.D.

Description from the video :

"On the occasion of the 500-year Anniversary of the Reformation, FR. PANAYIOTIS PAPAGEORGIOU, Ph.D., was invited to Lutherstadt-Wittenburg in Germany, Ground Zero of the Protestant Reformation to offer a paper on the relationship of the Reformers with the Orthodox Church in the 16th century at a Conference "Reformation Institute" organized under the auspices of Ambrose University of Calgary, Canada.

In the 16th century, two efforts were made by the Lutheran Reformers to communicate their positions to the Patriarchs of Constantinople Joasaph II and Jeremias II. A series of letters were finally exchanged. This is a very interesting topic that is as important today as it was then.

Fr. Panayiotis offers an overview of the events leading to the exchange of letters and commends on the responses of Patriarch Jeremias. He also addresses the Calvinist Patriarch Cyril Lucaris. Fr. Panayiotis presented his paper on Monday, May 8, 2017."

Upvote 0

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,337.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
May I join? I have an maybe very usual but maybe unusual way to join the orthodox church. The whole thing of my life happened as I was an adult. I was bapticized orthodox as a child but there was absolutely no education towards church. As a child I found it fascinating like the people join together, spend their precious time to pray together in the church, honoring the perfect HUMAN being Jesus.....

When I grew up I still believed in God but all my contacts told me God does not exist. Once I was not really convinced but was told to say God does not exist. I did. Since then problems occured. I felt like dying, although my faith was not strong and whole of my soul was functioning like the soul of an atheist. I was studying philosophy with the jesuits university, where freemasons told me they will kill me and attacked me in the subway. It was God's grace that a "small" wonder happened and God protected me. But since then years passed they still search conctact with me and attack me with black magic. Nobody would ever believe what I could tell.

I started during my university trip studying scripture but also Quran. My father told me to compare islam, buddhism and christianity what it makes with the soul just for learning writing philosophically. I found out that it seemed that Islam is more peaceful for the soul than christianity. I forgot how I found it out. But I started to pray 5 Times a day to test if God exists. Like the muslims do. I also promised to God the muslim promise "baptization" from muslims but in my own way! I just promised to God I will live as if He would exist. During this prayers soon a vision of Jesus appeared to me. Jesus was calling me. When the freemasons attacked me I ran to confession to our monk in our monastery because I thought I will dy soon!!! Not that I was really believing. A source of light came through my body during confession and God protected my PHYSICALLY from the attack in the subway next day, from a man that was tall and fat and extremely more big than me. He ran into my legs with his legs, my legs standing there freely, not concentrated, but the thing happened, my legs were not moving one milimeter!!! HE FELL TO EARTH and was afraid to attack me again. I felt like a metallic rock, protected and standing there!!!

Than still I was not christian enough. I knew now God exists but then something strange happened. God started sending me rememberings of my past lifes, especially my sins from past lifes! And the rememberings also concerned Jesus, GOD Jesus, how I met him in earlier lifes! God personally told me that He is God, not a human being. With an alternate explanation, that will maybe be considered heretic I started to understand Jesus is God. Still I could not get rid of my sins and did not listen to the church! From this point in my life now(!) I know I should better be guided by the orthodox church. Everytime I did not listen I had to regret this. So I really still do not know nothing about this holy spirit thing that really lives in the orthodox church. I am attached to it and God leads me there again and again. I fell into depression because of my sins and I thought I will never receive communion. But from time to time God allows me this and then I am so happy.

God saved me also from suicide when I wanted to jump from 15th floor several times. He started talking to me and revealed me a present he gave me already several times, it is a wonderful thing but it has teachings in it about reincarnation(not the main message) and so the church would judge me maybe not to believe this. I still sometimes confess my sins from former lifes in the confession and my confession priest knows about the present. I wrote everything down in plain text. I have now 2 priests and one bishop who accept my believes in reincarnation. In the middle of the orthodox church I found my home. And yes the above arguments about the orthodox church I already knew since ever. But really people the Holy Spirit is present there that even esoteric people like me are attached to the church. Try it out yourself.

:)) If somebdy wants to read the revelation God told me to stop me from suicide or a priest you can write me personally. I am about to write a fantasy book about it.

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I really still do not know nothing about this holy spirit thing that really lives in the orthodox church. I am attached to it and God leads me there again and again.

Check out these prayers :

• Friendly
Reactions: KisKatte
Upvote 0