Everything that has brought me closer to Christianity in General has brought me closer to Orthodoxy

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Long Read)

Let me explain. Seriously though, Literally Everything that has brought me closer to Christianity in General like Apologetics, Christian History, Church Father Writings, The Holy Scriptures themselves etc. has directed me to Eastern Orthodoxy.

• 1. Church History - When I started to read through Church History and research that was the first time I ever even heard about The Eastern Orthodox Church. All we had in our little town growing up was a Roman Catholic Church, a Baptist Church, a Methodist Church and a Mormon Church. There were No Orthodox Churches around us and this was before The Internet so I had No Exposure whatsoever to it growing up.

When I found out about The First 1,000 years of Church History, The First 7 Ecumenical Councils,
The 7 Ecumenical Councils, 325 A.D. - 787 A.D (Eastern Orthodox Video)
The Schism between The Roman Church and rest of The Eastern Churches in 1,054 A.D. and
The 5 Patriarchal Bishops of The Church (Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem) it was amazing to know about the rest of The Church.

The 5 Patriarchal Bishops of The Church during the 1,054 A.D. Schism :

• Constantinople : Michael Kerularios (1000-1059 A.D.)
• Rome : Leo IX (1002-1082 A.D.)
• Antioch : Peter III of Antioch (1052-1056 A.D.)
• Jerusalem : Sophronios II (1040-1059 A.D.)
• Alexandria : Leontius (1052-1059 A.D.)

Or

• Alexandria: Leontius (1052-1059)
    • Jerusalem: Ioannikios (1048-?) or Sophronios II (?-1059)
    • Rome: Leo IX (1049-1054)
    • Constantinople: Michael Cerularius (1043-1059)
    • Antioch: Peter III (1028-1051), or John IV, V, or Dionysius (1051-62)

• 2. KJV Only / Textus Receptus / Byzantine Text Type Etc. - I always liked the KJV and the NKJV and I know many of the newer versions of Bibles have missing verses or are watered down and paraphrased. I found myself referring back to The Official Authorized 1904 Text of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.

I mean it's like if you're going to go that route you might as well go all the way and join The Actual Church that speaks Greek and is Actually The Church Where "The Byzantine Text" Came From right ?

Greek New Testament - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

• 3. Monks and Nuns - Even when I was Protestant I always had respect for Roman Catholic Monks and Nuns who devoted their whole lives to God. What a joy it was to find out Eastern Orthodoxy has Nuns and Monks also.

• 4. The Power and Authority of Eastern Orthodoxy Is Real, From Apostolic Times and Is The Real Church Of The Lord Jesus Christ On Earth. I remember watching exorcisms on Youtube and the only ones that seemed real and like there was A Legitimate Spiritual Authority Over was the ones that involved Eastern Orthodox Priests.
Eastern Orthodox Exorcism Videos

• 5. They Have The Eucharist - The Real Presence Of Our Lord Jesus Christ in Communion

• 6. More Respect and Veneration for Mary (Theotokos) I Like how they respect Mary and ask Her for help like Roman Catholics do.

• 7. Church Father Writings - I found myself going to The Early Church Writers when defending Christianity.

• 8. Icons - Icons are cool.

• 9. Asking The Saints for help

• 10. They didn't have An Inquisition

• 11. They didn't have a Crusade

• 12. They didn't have The Knights Templar

• 13. They didn't have "A Reformation" because They were The Original Church So They Didn't Ever Even Need One.

• 14. Eastern Orthodox Priests can be married.

• 15. All The Protestant services I've gone to All seem either "Watered Down" or "Cheesy" compared to The Divine Liturgy. I don't even mean that as an insult either. I mean, I know that the people Love The Lord Jesus Christ and they are doing the best they can but nothing compares to what I have experienced in The Orthodox Church. You can still sense The Holy Spirit in other Churches but The Fullness is in Orthodoxy.

• 16. The Divine Liturgy - The Incense, The Prayers, The Seriousness, The Devotion ..... I've Never experienced Anything like it. The Weight Both Spiritually And Theologically Is Just On A Completely Different Level Entirely compared to Any Other Sect of Christendom that I've ever come across.

Maybe I'll think of some more stuff later.

Last edited:

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I concur.
Even though route was different for me, we made several of the same stops along the way.

thanks for the post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will say this though, The Evangelicals are really good at getting people to believe In The Lord Jesus Christ on a very basic personal level in general though / Making a decision for Christ / Church Camps Etc.

Upvote 0

Sara Shaffer

Dec 25, 2018
Florida
✟47,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sara Shaffer

Dec 25, 2018
Florida
✟47,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I have. I have been to a Lutheran Church before but it was just preaching when I went.

I believe Anglicans have Liturgy as well.

My point is that not all Protestant Churches are the same.

Upvote 0

Sara Shaffer

Dec 25, 2018
Florida
✟47,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
“Also known as "high church" or "main line churches," the term "liturgical Protestant" is used to refer to the Lutheran, Episcopal, United Methodist, Methodist Episcopal, United Church of Christ, Congregational, Reformed and Presbyterian denominations.”

Upvote 0

Sara Shaffer

Dec 25, 2018
Florida
✟47,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course this is a biased opinion.

of course it's biased. I can say, however, having been on both sides, that the liturgical practices of the current West don't convey theological truth like the East.

and again, they are very beautiful services. not denying their beauty and power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
(Long Read)

Let me explain. Seriously though, Literally Everything that has brought me closer to Christianity in General like Apologetics, Christian History, Church Father Writings, The Holy Scriptures themselves etc. has directed me to Eastern Orthodoxy.

• 1. Church History - When I started to read through Church History and research that was the first time I ever even heard about The Eastern Orthodox Church. All we had in our little town growing up was a Roman Catholic Church, a Baptist Church, a Methodist Church and a Mormon Church. There were No Orthodox Churches around us and this was before The Internet so I had No Exposure whatsoever to it growing up.

When I found out about The First 1,000 years of Church History, The First 7 Ecumenical Councils, The Schism between The Roman Church and rest of The Eastern Churches in 1,054 A.D. and The 5 Patriarchs of The Church (Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem) it was amazing to know about the rest of The Church.

• 2. KJV Only / Textus Receptus / Byzantine Text Type Etc. - I always liked and the KJV and The NKJV and I know many of the newer versions of Bibles have missing verses or are watered down and paraphrased. I found myself referring back to The Official Authorized 1904 Text of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.

I mean it's like if you're going to go that route you might as well go all the way and join The Actual Church that speaks Greek and is Actually The Church Where "The Byzantine Text" Came From right ?

Greek New Testament - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

• 3. Monks and Nuns - Even when I was Protestant I always had respect for Roman Catholic Monks and Nuns who devoted their whole lives to God. What a joy it was to find out Eastern Orthodoxy has Nuns and Monks also.

• 4. The Power and Authority of Eastern Orthodoxy Is Real, From Apostolic Times and Is The Real Church Of The Lord Jesus Christ On Earth. I remember watching exorcisms on Youtube and the only ones that seemed real and like there was A Legitimate Spiritual Authority Over was the ones that involved Eastern Orthodox Priests.

• 5. They Have The Eucharist - The Real Presence Of Our Lord Jesus Christ in Communion

• 6. More Respect and Veneration for Mary (Theotokos) I Like how they respect Mary and ask Her for help like Roman Catholics do.

• 7. Church Father Writings - I found myself going to The Early Church Writers when defending Christianity.

• 8. Icons - Icons are cool.

• 9. Asking The Saints for help

• 10. They didn't have An Inquisition

• 11. They didn't have a Crusade

• 12. They didn't have The Knights Templar

• 13. They didn't have "A Reformation" because They were The Original Church So They Didn't Ever Even Need One.

• 14. Eastern Orthodox Priests can be married.

• 14. All The Protestant services I've gone to All seem either "Watered Down" or "Cheesy" compared to The Divine Liturgy. I don't even mean that as an insult either. I mean, I know that the people Love The Lord Jesus Christ and they are doing the best they can but nothing compares to what I have experienced in The Orthodox Church. You can still sense The Holy Spirit in other Churches but The Fullness is in Orthodoxy.

• 15. The Divine Liturgy- The Incense, The Prayers, The Seriousness, The Devotion ..... I've Never experienced Anything like it. The Weight Both Spiritually And Theologically Is Just On A Completely Different Level Entirely compared to Any Other Sect of Christendom that I've ever come across.

Maybe I'll think of some more stuff later.
An interesting discussion, I hope you find a home with the Orthodox, may God give you strength for the journey.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0