• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Everything Leads Down The Same Rabbit Hole

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Chesterton, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+17,824
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I recently heard someone say that no matter what Wikipedia entry you're reading, if you click on the first non-italicized link in the page, and do that on the next page, and so on, you always wind up at philosophy (but skipping links which merely refer to the root language of the entry word). Thought I'd give it a try on a couple of random things. Here are the results:

Initial Entry: Potato
    Root Vegetable
    Food
    Nutrient
    Chemical Substance
    Matter
    Classical Physics
    Paradigm Shift
    Thomas Kuhn
    Philosophy of Science
    Philosophy (!)

Initial Entry: Battle of The Bulge
    Offensive
    Military Operation
    Military Actions
    State
    Polity
    Collective Identity
    Belongingness
    Emotion
    Biology
    Natural Science
    Branches of Science
    Science
    Knowledge (which is part of Wiki's series on, you guessed it, Philosophy!)

So it worked for the first two things I tried. I certainly can't vouch that it always works, but it's interesting. I guess looked at one way, it's just common sense that this would happen, but still, this little game seems to tell us that nobody really knows anything. :)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,294
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Or perhaps it's merely the wikipedia version of 'Six Degrees from Kevin Bacon'

3. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+5,069
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Mountain bike
    Bicycle
    Human-powered transport
    Transport
    Motion
    Physics
    Natural science
    Branches of science
    Science
    Knowledge (Part of a series on Philosophy)

4. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+5,003
    Atheist
    You also have to ignore non-italicised links in parentheses.

5. Chesterton

+17,824
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Hmm, I wonder why that is. I didn't come across one of those.

But when the first link was a language reference like "Latin" or "Greek", it got me stuck in a loop that goes like this:

Latin - Classical Language - Language - Grammar - Linguistics - Science - Latin

So since "Latin" is the first link in the entry for "Science", we can definitively conclude that Science does not lead to Philosophy. ;)

6. Chesterton

+17,824
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    [​IMG]

Marty Feldman
    Comedian
    Entertainment
    Interest (emotion)
    Emotion
    Biology