• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why Do I Feel Like Everything I Do is a Sin?

Anihilus

Jul 10, 2009
✟8,217.00
Faith
Baptist
I don't know what to do anymore, it seems that everything I do is a sin. I cannot go to school, do homework, study, eat, or go on a walk without this brooding feeling of condemnation. When I try to resist it increases and if I do the "sin" anyways it is almost as if I feel my heart harden beyond repentance, because I am never sorry for what I have done.

I am unable to tell the difference between my thoughts and convictions or the Holy Spirit, if he is even at work with me anymore. I fear I am resisting Him. I don't know what to do anymore. Anybody else deal with this?

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7

JohnnieGuy

Jun 27, 2009
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. You are worrying too much. Sin is everything revealed to us in God's Word. You know what sin is. You are being scrupulous. Trust what God says about sin, and don't do it, as Jesus Christ has released you from the power of it. Don't lean on your own understanding. Lean on God's truth. Everything else is false condemnation.

If you do happen to sin, confess it to God, and then put it behind you, because God has forgiven you, cleansed you of unrighteousness, and put your sin as far as the East is from the West. He chooses not to remember it anymore. Don't keep picking up your burden over and over again. It has been removed from you. Don't trust your feelings, in fact I would try to ignore them as best I could and get on with your life (something I struggle with too). Trust God's Word.

Oh, and relax.

J

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Find the peace of what Jesus did, He died a very painful death to take away sin, and He would have done it just for you. He loves you, and wants you to have the peace of knowing He is in control not you.

Ask Him to lead your day, and guide you... and leave it there. We can not pick up the worries, because if we do we are basically trying to control, not letting Him lead us.
If you pick it back up and worry again, that is ok. Just keep giving it back to God and soon it will be a normal thing to do. And just like JohnnieGuy mentioned if you are doing something wrong ask for forgiveness and let it go.

Maybe look up some scriptures on how Jesus forgives us and never thought of again. The sin is thrown out to see.
We has humans say yeah I forgive you, but may bring it back up again. Jesus doesn't do that.

:groupray:

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have recived some excellent support and advice here.

Just come to Jesus as you are.Jesus promises to in no wise cast you out.
Jesus says come to Me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.
Jesus says he that believeth in Me has everlasting life.
It is okay to come and pour out our hearst to Jesus about every single fear and trouble or sin and receive comfort and rest and strength from Jesus.
We can trust Jesus.
He is mighty to save and promises to make all things new.

Romans ch 9
30What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Jesus will never leave you or forsake you and the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
Yes the Holy Spirit is with you.
And Jesus is holding you in His hand and none shall snatch you out.
I know fear and guilt and condemnation are so painful.Yet Jesus came to die for us and wash our sins away.

Upvote 0

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have the same problem! I feel like everything I do is wrong. Is this OCD?

I feel like I have to ask God before I can do anything...Idont know what causes this. I wish it would stop though. But seriously I feel so condemned I feel like I can't make my own decisions or they'll be wrong or something.

What do you think causes it?

Upvote 0
D

DruryGirl

Anihilus, I read your post and thought, "Oh, yeah, that is so me." You are not alone.

Drink up the truth in these wonderful responses posted here.

Aaliyah, you are not alone either. I feel your post too. I'm always petrified that I'll

do something "sinful." I believe 100% that a large part of it is truly OCD and not God

at all.

Upvote 0

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I too suffer from a very strong case of scrupulousity and false condemnation and a legalistic way of confession. It seems that the more we care about not doing the sin, the more we become over-sensetive about it, and that creates the scrupulousity and false condemnation in our minds. Thanks.

Upvote 0

HoneyComb Son

Veteran
Jan 27, 2004
✟2,902.00
Faith
Christian
i suffer from it..thinking everything is sin..yoru mind heart convinces you it is.you think God sees it that way..but the truth of the matter is..ya gotta stop worrying and do things even if you think its wrong..it could be right..lol .thats what i do..after awhile the things I thougth were sin.weren't really.and the things i thought were terra bad werent that bad at all.you gotta realize your human..you cant rely on yourself to stop sinning cause you cant.and you cant keep thinking about your sin ..you gotta be forgiven conscius..not sin consicous..your forgiven.its up to Gods job to transform form you to stop.not yourself..so why fret about what Gods doing in his timing..it takes time to grow out of bad habits..you gota stop worrying about everything you do.cause its not all bad..stop relying in your logic and mind.and your feelings.OCD is a killer their..just have peace.knowing your forgiven and God covers your back even when you do sin..you are saved and going to heaven.forgiven..all your sins are forgiven..past present AND future.God knows when you will sin today and even in the future.and He has forgiven it..so why are you worrying..just have peace..do your best..youll fall and mak mistakes but thats grace..your covered

takes time to grow:D

Upvote 0

unpardoned1

Aug 31, 2006
South Florida
✟8,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I deal with this very thing. Everything I do is sin. Like things that wouldn't be sin in the Bible is sin to my mind and if I don't confess it, somthing I'm scared of will happen. I find myself confessing everything to God even if I know its not sin. Its hard to pray to God/Jesus because I pray so many "ocd prayers". Its like I don't know how to pray real prayers that aren't OCD induced.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this because I struggle with it all day everyday. Maybe someone can pray for us on here. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

samanthamturner

Jul 27, 2018
savannah, tn
✟15,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what to do anymore, it seems that everything I do is a sin. I cannot go to school, do homework, study, eat, or go on a walk without this brooding feeling of condemnation. When I try to resist it increases and if I do the "sin" anyways it is almost as if I feel my heart harden beyond repentance, because I am never sorry for what I have done.

I am unable to tell the difference between my thoughts and convictions or the Holy Spirit, if he is even at work with me anymore. I fear I am resisting Him. I don't know what to do anymore. Anybody else deal with this?
I just recently started going through the same thing. I did give up makeup and other things for God but then I felt like everything was a sin and I do pray I am wrong because I am not obedient to the all anymore. my church is very conservative and I am constantly assured that what I am feeling is sin is not sin. I just worry too much but it does make me feel very separated from God. I hope that your relationship with God has got better. I had a friend who went through the same thing and she seemed to pull out of it well and is very close to the LORD.

Upvote 0

samanthamturner

Jul 27, 2018
savannah, tn
✟15,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I deal with this very thing. Everything I do is sin. Like things that wouldn't be sin in the Bible is sin to my mind and if I don't confess it, somthing I'm scared of will happen. I find myself confessing everything to God even if I know its not sin. Its hard to pray to God/Jesus because I pray so many "ocd prayers". Its like I don't know how to pray real prayers that aren't OCD induced.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this because I struggle with it all day everyday. Maybe someone can pray for us on here. Thank you.
Has things gotten better with you

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I struggle with prayer and I know how you feel. God loves you and Jesus is our Lord.

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like God gave me signs that I'm going to hell forever. He wrote me messages around my house. I don't think there is anything I can do to be forgiven. I believe I blasphemed my way out of the gospel, so it no longer applies to me.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like God gave me signs that I'm going to hell forever. He wrote me messages around my house. I don't think there is anything I can do to be forgiven. I believe I blasphemed my way out of the gospel, so it no longer applies to me.
Did you actually blaspheme, or your OCD makes you believe you did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just recently started going through the same thing. I did give up makeup and other things for God but then I felt like everything was a sin and I do pray I am wrong because I am not obedient to the all anymore. my church is very conservative and I am constantly assured that what I am feeling is sin is not sin. I just worry too much but it does make me feel very separated from God. I hope that your relationship with God has got better. I had a friend who went through the same thing and she seemed to pull out of it well and is very close to the LORD.
Do you have OCD/scrupulosity? If so, are you able to get any help for it? OCD is very treatable, and there is a lot of hope for overcoming it!

Upvote 0

RainbowBrains

Jul 28, 2018
Ft.Worth
✟8,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The devil is a liar. I have notices that "It's too late." and "You've done too much." seem to be his go to lies. You are not the only one. Do not believe him. Nothing is too hard for the power of God.

I have struggled with this for a while. One day I was thinking about how I couldn't pray,in power, for something, because I had been sinful that day, and I'm pretty sure it was God who dropped a message into me that basically said, "Girl, you can't do enough right to make yourself good enough. That's why you need Yeshua." Basically, repent and move on. There is no condemnation in Yeshua and if you're being condemned, it aint him talking to you, no matter if what lying sign you got.

Worry (that is what muh of this is) is fear and God doesn't give us a spirit of fear but he does give us power, and love, and a sound mind. Compulsion, especially this way, is not in keeping with peace/a sound mind.

Dont belive the lies!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

samanthamturner

Jul 27, 2018
savannah, tn
✟15,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have OCD/scrupulosity? If so, are you able to get any help for it? OCD is very treatable, and there is a lot of hope for overcoming it!
Before all this began i began feeling like my hands were never clean enough I was a washer but not anymore

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Before all this began i began feeling like my hands were never clean enough I was a washer but not anymore
Yes, fear of dirt was my first obsession, and handwashing was my first compulsion. I've had a lot of themes since then, but I'm slowly learning that the way to treat obsessions is the same, no matter what they are. How have you been doing lately?

Upvote 0

Kenadi

May 25, 2021
Rochester
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I definitely understand. In the past i committed a sin where i knew it was wrong and repeated it over and over. The Holy Spirit was convicted me, but I still did it. I finally stopped and of course asked for forgiveness but now everything I do i feel wrong . Lately I feel like I can't eat anything and when I do i feel guilty , i don't know if its because i shouldn't be or convicton. I always feel like i'm deliberately sinning and just don't feel like I do anything right anymore. It's honestly scary to always be in fear and not feel like my repentance is genuine and feel like God is mad at me.

Upvote 0