Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’ve never read that homily - I’ll need to check it out. For the Life of the World is excellent as well...I was going back and forth between that and Of Water and Spirit :)

the homily is really short but pretty amazing

Upvote 0

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟36,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What can I do as a solo person to properly honor God at home during Holy Week, and during Pascha? I did not start inquiring until after Pascha last year, and secular authorities are still shuttering Churches here.

Fr John Whitefords blog has been a Godsend for Typika/reader services at home during Lent. I'm not sure what I can do for all of Holy Week as an inquirer, nor am I sure I should do anything beyond morning prayers and maybe a compline in the evening. I am hoping Fr John updates through Holy Week.
Fr. John Whiteford

For Pascha, I have an idea to purchase ahead of time lamb to cook... but that feel's blasphemous and now I feel stupid for thinking that.

Now I'm a bit angry and sad. Please pray for me.

[edit: snipped out anger]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For Pascha, I have an idea to purchase ahead of time lamb to cook... but that feel's blasphemous and now I feel stupid for thinking that.
Nothing stupid or blasphemous about that. When I've done the whole lamb on the spit, I had to order it well in advance, and pick it up a couple of days before. I've made a wooden ice box out of old pallets lined with Styrofoam so I can prepare the lamb beforehand, tying it with wire to the spit, sewing up the belly and rubbing it over with olive oil, salt and oregano. Then I wrap it all up in cling wrap, put it in the ice box, cover it with ice and close the lid. There is a slot at each end where the spit sticks out.
That allows me to rest in the afternoon before heading off the the Holy Saturday vigil because there isn't much time to sleep between getting home at 3am and lighting the charcoal at 5:30am.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure it's just me and my pickiness and sometimes snobbish nature, but I say Pascha, not Easter.
Most of the time I say Pascha for us, and Easter when referring to Western Easter. A lot of times I'll say Orthodox Easter when dealing with some secular audiences.

Christmas for life! But, it's the Nativity Fast, not the Christmas fast. Saying Christmas fast is heresy.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0