• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Everyone celebrating Easter on May 2?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Landos, Mar 31, 2021.

1. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,712
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,600
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yep, it can even be later

• List
  3. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,243
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Not really. The urban legend is that in the past it did coincide with passover. Not true unless he is talking about the 2 or so times in the 4th century where Pascha was pushed back a week as Rome used a different calendar and wouldn't allow a date past the 21st or so during Athanasius exile.
    The article itself says: It is to be celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. Being that the Jews use the same metonic cycle it will always fall after the start of passover.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,712
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The point here is that it's not that "There are canons from the early Church which state that Easter cannot be celebrated coincident with the Jewish Passover," but that our decision of how to compute the date means it ends up being after Passover by construction and that we don't rely on others' computations or festal schedules to set the date.

5. Landos

Landos Member

+74
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That was my understanding.

6. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+968
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yeah, that’s what I got out of that. It’s not a “rule” to be after Passover, but it always “is” after Passover because of the way it’s computed.

7. Landos

Landos Member

+74
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,362
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
  9. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,243
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    This article is pretty good except for the few inaccuracies perpetuated by many who have been told Nicea only endorsed a generic definition of calculatimg Pascha, as the Sunday after the first full moon after the Equinox. The good is atleast it doesn't perpetuate the myth that in the 4th century following Nicea the jewish passover coincided with Easter. Unfortunately what they don't tell you is how the council.at Nicea endorsed the Alexandrian method which included the 19 year cycle as an intrinsic component of the formula. The Paschal tables of Theophilus and all others followed this cycle which was there since the very beginning. St Ambrose in 390 AD recounts what was decided at Nicea:

TO THE LORDS, HIS BRETHREN MOST BELOVED, THE BISHOPS ESTABLISHED THROUGHOUT THE PROVINCE OF AEMILIA, AMBROSE, BISHOP.
    1. THAT to settle the day of the celebration of the Passover requires more than ordinary wisdom, we are taught both by the Holy Scripture and by the tradition of the Fathers, who, when assembled at the Nicene Synod, in addition to their true and admirable decrees concerning the Faith, formed also for the above-mentioned celebration a plan for nineteen years with the aid of the most skilful calculators, and constituted a sort of cycle to serve as a pattern for subsequent years. This cycle they called the nineteen years' cycle
    83, their aim being that we should not waver in uncertain and ungrounded opinions on such a celebration, but ascertain the true method and so ensure such concurrence of the affections of all, that the sacrifice for the Lord's Resurrection should be offered every where on the same night....(epistle 23 to the Emilians).

Those making the claim we should use the most accurate astronomical data are perpetuating a novelty. That Pascha should not occur before the Equinox is well known but using actual up to the minute observations is a novelty as seen by the statements of Ambrose. The yearly liturgical calendar is based on moveable and immoveable feast days some based on their relationship to each other with fasting days incorporated. Using actual observance to pin point when on March 19-21 the equinox is to occur in Jerusalem and decide when Lent should occur or whether a fixed feast needs to be transfered may not even be possible in time with such a thing.

10. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm sure it's just me and my pickiness and sometimes snobbish nature, but I say Pascha, not Easter.

11. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,362
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Nativity for Christmas and Pascha for Easter and Theophany for Epiphany, Great Lent not just lent, etc. Let me join your snob society!:sorry::sorry::sorry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+14,298
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Oh - I've always been used to the Great Fast rather than Great Lent :)

13. Mary of Bethany

+968
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    A priest once told me you could say “Lent” or “Great Fast” but not “Great Lent”. ‍‍

14. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,014
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Then there is this classic book by Schmemann. I've called it Great Lent ever since I became Orthodox.

[​IMG]

15. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    ^_^

16. Mary of Bethany

+968
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yep

17. ArmyMatt

+15,600
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    his best book in my opinion

18. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,089
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yep, though followed closely by The Eucharist Sacrament of the Kingdom imho - and then Of Water and Spirit. His books are really helpful.

19. ArmyMatt

+15,600
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    personally, I think I would put his Thanksgiving homily as number 2, followed by For The Life Of The World.

20. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,089
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’ve never read that homily - I’ll need to check it out. For the Life of the World is excellent as well...I was going back and forth between that and Of Water and Spirit :)