Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not really. The urban legend is that in the past it did coincide with passover. Not true unless he is talking about the 2 or so times in the 4th century where Pascha was pushed back a week as Rome used a different calendar and wouldn't allow a date past the 21st or so during Athanasius exile.
The article itself says: It is to be celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. Being that the Jews use the same metonic cycle it will always fall after the start of passover.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Not really. The urban legend is that in the past it did coincide with passover. Not true unless he is talking about the 2 or so times in the 4th century where Pascha was pushed back a week as Rome used a different calendar and wouldn't allow a date past the 21st or so during Athanasius exile.
The article itself says: It is to be celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. Being that the Jews use the same metonic cycle it will always fall after the start of passover.
The point here is that it's not that "There are canons from the early Church which state that Easter cannot be celebrated coincident with the Jewish Passover," but that our decision of how to compute the date means it ends up being after Passover by construction and that we don't rely on others' computations or festal schedules to set the date.

Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

Landos

Mar 19, 2021
Midwest
✟10,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

That was my understanding.

• Agree
Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The point here is that it's not that "There are canons from the early Church which state that Easter cannot be celebrated coincident with the Jewish Passover," but that our decision of how to compute the date means it ends up being after Passover by construction and that we don't rely on others' computations or festal schedules to set the date.

Yeah, that’s what I got out of that. It’s not a “rule” to be after Passover, but it always “is” after Passover because of the way it’s computed.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Landos
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Orthodox Times had an article on why the difference in Easter dates. Enjoy:

Why does the Orthodox celebrate Easter on a different day than other Christians
This article is pretty good except for the few inaccuracies perpetuated by many who have been told Nicea only endorsed a generic definition of calculatimg Pascha, as the Sunday after the first full moon after the Equinox. The good is atleast it doesn't perpetuate the myth that in the 4th century following Nicea the jewish passover coincided with Easter. Unfortunately what they don't tell you is how the council.at Nicea endorsed the Alexandrian method which included the 19 year cycle as an intrinsic component of the formula. The Paschal tables of Theophilus and all others followed this cycle which was there since the very beginning. St Ambrose in 390 AD recounts what was decided at Nicea:

TO THE LORDS, HIS BRETHREN MOST BELOVED, THE BISHOPS ESTABLISHED THROUGHOUT THE PROVINCE OF AEMILIA, AMBROSE, BISHOP.
1. THAT to settle the day of the celebration of the Passover requires more than ordinary wisdom, we are taught both by the Holy Scripture and by the tradition of the Fathers, who, when assembled at the Nicene Synod, in addition to their true and admirable decrees concerning the Faith, formed also for the above-mentioned celebration a plan for nineteen years with the aid of the most skilful calculators, and constituted a sort of cycle to serve as a pattern for subsequent years. This cycle they called the nineteen years' cycle
83, their aim being that we should not waver in uncertain and ungrounded opinions on such a celebration, but ascertain the true method and so ensure such concurrence of the affections of all, that the sacrifice for the Lord's Resurrection should be offered every where on the same night....(epistle 23 to the Emilians).

Those making the claim we should use the most accurate astronomical data are perpetuating a novelty. That Pascha should not occur before the Equinox is well known but using actual up to the minute observations is a novelty as seen by the statements of Ambrose. The yearly liturgical calendar is based on moveable and immoveable feast days some based on their relationship to each other with fasting days incorporated. Using actual observance to pin point when on March 19-21 the equinox is to occur in Jerusalem and decide when Lent should occur or whether a fixed feast needs to be transfered may not even be possible in time with such a thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nativity for Christmas and Pascha for Easter and Theophany for Epiphany, Great Lent not just lent, etc. Let me join your snob society!:sorry::sorry::sorry:

I'm sure it's just me and my pickiness and sometimes snobbish nature, but I say Pascha, not Easter.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A priest once told me you could say “Lent” or “Great Fast” but not “Great Lent”. ‍‍

Then there is this classic book by Schmemann. I've called it Great Lent ever since I became Orthodox.

images

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
his best book in my opinion
Yep, though followed closely by The Eucharist Sacrament of the Kingdom imho - and then Of Water and Spirit. His books are really helpful.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep, though followed closely by The Eucharist Sacrament of the Kingdom imho - and then Of Water and Spirit. His books are really helpful.

personally, I think I would put his Thanksgiving homily as number 2, followed by For The Life Of The World.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
personally, I think I would put his Thanksgiving homily as number 2, followed by For The Life Of The World.
I’ve never read that homily - I’ll need to check it out. For the Life of the World is excellent as well...I was going back and forth between that and Of Water and Spirit :)

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0