Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of the stuff on this list I could "tough out" not having, although I can fully understand how some items, such as baby formula and menstrual tampons, could present a real panic for those who need them.

But some of the items would present a real big problem for me: no **COFFEE**??? No **BACON**???
1f631.png
Say it isn't so!!! Plus, a pet food shortage would be problematic for me, with eight animals in the house. And, considering where I live, way out here in the Back o' Beyond, a gasoline shortage would present a real problem, too.

Everyday Products That Might Soon Become Scarce - Healthdish

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I really notice the problem when I go to buy pet food.

Since the pandemic, pet food supplies here have never been the same.
I can no longer buy all our pet food at any one or two stores.
This store carries this, this store carries that, etc.
And then, sometimes I just cannot find something that my furbabies regularly eat.
I find myself needing to make substitute selections more often than I like.
... and the prices keep going up!

:(

We have a dog and 3 cats, all inside animals.
I do not worry so much about our dog, as dogs tend to be more flexible about their food.
But I do sometimes worry about our 3 cats, and what food choices they will be eating in the future.

... Like most things these days, I try to take even this situation 'one day at a time', and to remember to thank God for all that we do still have.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I really notice the problem when I go to buy pet food.

Since the pandemic, pet food supplies here have never been the same.
I can no longer buy all our pet food at any one or two stores.
This store carries this, this store carries that, etc.
And then, sometimes I just cannot find something that my furbabies regularly eat.
I find myself needing to make substitute selections more often than I like.
... and the prices keep going up!

:(

We have a dog and 3 cats, all inside animals.
I do not worry so much about our dog, as dogs tend to be more flexible about their food.
But I do sometimes worry about our 3 cats, and what food choices they will be eating in the future.

... Like most things these days, I try to take even this situation 'one day at a time', and to remember to thank God for all that we do still have.
I cleaned out my freezers not too long ago. I found some meat and things that were a little over the expiration date and decided to unthaw it and stored it up for extra cat food for my cats. My dogs eat Science diet with an occasional treat of lean chicken. At least I know I have these things for them if I get desperate.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I gotta have my two cups of joe in the morning. :( Otherwise, I'm sluggish and grumpy, and liable to get hit with a headache.

At least I'm not a like a guy we had in the Air Force....you didn't even talk to that guy until he'd had at least two cups of coffee.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Most of the stuff on this list I could "tough out" not having, although I can fully understand how some items, such as baby formula and menstrual tampons, could present a real panic for those who need them.

But some of the items would present a real big problem for me: no **COFFEE**??? No **BACON**???
1f631.png
Say it isn't so!!! Plus, a pet food shortage would be problematic for me, with eight animals in the house. And, considering where I live, way out here in the Back o' Beyond, a gasoline shortage would present a real problem, too.

Everyday Products That Might Soon Become Scarce - Healthdish
Natural peanut butter has gotten crazy. When it can be found it is expensive. Mostly it can't be found. The unnatural peanut butter seems to still be available.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I cleaned out my freezers not too long ago. I found some meat and things that were a little over the expiration date and decided to unthaw it and stored it up for extra cat food for my cats. My dogs eat Science diet with an occasional treat of lean chicken. At least I know I have these things for them if I get desperate.
Our cats are on Science Diet ... plus some other things. (They do eat pretty good at our house! lol)

So, how hard is it to make 'homemade' cat food from things like real meat?
When you say you thawed and stored it up, what did that process entail?
(Did you like cook it up, and then refreeze it?)

I'm genuinely curious. I do anticipate these shortages to get worse, and I really don't like being so totally dependent on these store-bought pet foods for our animals. I'm abit of a 'prepper', but haven't done much in the way of stored animal food.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our cats are on Science Diet ... plus some other things. (They do eat pretty good at our house! lol)

So, how hard is it to make 'homemade' cat food from things like real meat?
When you say you thawed and stored it up, what did that process entail?
(Did you like cook it up, and then refreeze it?)

I'm genuinely curious. I do anticipate these shortages to get worse, and I really don't like being so totally dependent on these store-bought pet foods for our animals. I'm abit of a 'prepper', but haven't done much in the way of stored animal food.

I cooked it up and added meat/bone broth and brown rice to it a froze it again in appropriate portions. I unthawed a few portions to test it. It was met with their approval. Admittedly, I need to research this more but I wanted to try it before going further into it. You can also add it with any wet cat or dog food to stretch and supplement your existing supply as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I cooked it up and added meat/bone broth and brown rice to it a froze it again in appropriate portions. I unthawed a few portions to test it. It was met with their approval. Admittedly, I need to research this more but I wanted to try it before going further into it. You can also add it with any wet cat or dog food to stretch and supplement your existing supply as well.
I definitely need to look into this for my kitties. Granted, they are abit spoiled ... lol ... but I AM concerned for when I may not be able to spoil them so much with the things they presently love. And mostly, for when it just might not be possible to find or buy much at the stores.

Truth is, homemade cat food is probably much healthier for them than the stuff they get in the little cans, and mine do eat some canned stuff.

Thank you very much for sharing what you are doing!

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I definitely need to look into this for my kitties. Granted, they are abit spoiled ... lol ... but I AM concerned for when I may not be able to spoil them so much with the things they presently love. And mostly, for when it just might not be possible to find or buy much at the stores.

Truth is, homemade cat food is probably much healthier for them than the stuff they get in the little cans, and mine do eat some canned stuff.

Thank you very much for sharing what you are doing!
You are very welcome! :)

Upvote 0